Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,873 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are approaching a fork-in-the-road in his career where he needs to choose an institution in which to further his training. This means we get to decide whether or not we should move to another city/part of the state and we're considering Northern California.

We're So-Californians and know for certain that Cali is the place for us but are wondering if we're living in the "wrong" third of our state. The reason why we have to put a lot of thought into our decision is because wherever my husband goes to finish his training is most likely where he'll find a permanent job, so our decision is going to be long-term whether we like our new location or not. We'll be able to move again, but not until he's established himself first, so we just want to make the best informed decision we can.

About us:

1) We enjoy diversity of cultures and foods
2) We're not typical So-Cal beach-goers, preferring walking/jogging on the shore to swimming and surfing in the water
3) We enjoy museums, detest theater/opera, like to try new foods
4) We work out regularly and live healthy lifestyles
5) We prefer cool weather (below 72) to warm
6) We don't like crowded environments
7) We like beaches, mountains, deserts, forests
8) We never lay out to tan
9) We'd rather spend a day being active in a nature setting or browsing in a museum and bookstore, than at a football game or shopping mall
10) We're in our late 30s and have a young child
11) We've lived in Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego

We're specifically seeking advice from So-Californians who have moved up North (around San Francisco) and are either glad they did or regret they did and why.

Thank you for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissedchef View Post
This means we get to decide whether or not we should move to another city/part of the state and we're considering Northern California.
May not apply to you but the first thing that came to mind was property taxes. If you bought at the trough, like around 1997 and have relatively low property taxes and you want to own equivalently, the same home will cost more now (even though things are falling) and the taxes will be proportionately higher.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
I grew up in NorCal and live in SoCal and what you describe about yourself it sounds like the Bay Area will be a perfect fit for you. Just stay near the coast or along the bay for the cooler weather. I'd check out Marin County, Sonoma County, or coastal San Mateo County where its less crowded and has the cooler weather.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
the Bay Area will be a perfect fit for you. Just stay near the coast or along the bay for the cooler weather. I'd check out Marin County, Sonoma County, or coastal San Mateo County where its less crowded and has the cooler weather.
I completely agree.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
I would say Marin County would be paradise for you! I've lived in both the Bay Area and San Diego, and I love things about both. The Bay Area is generally too diverse overall to generalize about it, as you can get almost any kind of West Coast lifestyle you want. You could have big city life, a wine country home, a cottage in the woods, a Spanish home in the burbs, and you could live in a place with cool cloudy weather or warm sunny weather. Basically, you can take your pick.

Based on the fact that you like nature and mild weather, as well as cultural attractions, Marin County offers proximity to the City for the culture (which you won't need daily), and amazing scenery and generally great weather most of the year -- much better than the City. It's really laid back, maybe more so than San Diego even, but so close to the City that you can get out of that if you want to. I know a family that moved to SD from Greebrae in Marin, and they really miss it. They used to go out on weekends in the city, but they said Marin was really family friendly, very open minded, beautiful, and they had a great swimming pool in their back yard that they practically lived in.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,873 times
Default Thank You

Thank you to all who responded - you've been very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland