Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 PM

11 posts, read 34,800 times

Advertisements

hello, I live in sonoma and am driving to the city for a couple of days and staying in a hotel in the nob hill district. hotel parking is very high so looking at my parking options:

if i drive into the city, where is good and safe to park for 2 days?

if i get the ferry - which is better Sausailto, or larkspur? in terms of safe to leave a car for a few days.

thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
Leave you car, it's safe.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Leave you car, it's safe.
I don't think it's that safe. You can park at the hotel and pay a lot for it. Street parking is almost non existent and there are time limits with no parking on street sweeping days. You would have to keep moving the car every couple of hours to avoid a ticket.

You can park at the Larkspur ferry lot (don't know how much they charge if anything) and take the ferry to SF. I don't think there is any parking (for 2 days) available near the Sausalito ferry.

Plan B: for 2 days, park at the long term parking lot at SFO airport and take BART from the airport into the city (BART station in the international terminal) or park at the nearby BART station in Millbrae which has a 3 or 4 story parking garage.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:01 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
Humbodtrat, I meant to park at the ferry lot. Sorry should have elaborated, both Larkspur and Sausilito parking lots are fine. NEVER park in the city!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Plan B: for 2 days, park at the long term parking lot at SFO airport and take BART from the airport into the city (BART station in the international terminal) or park at the nearby BART station in Millbrae which has a 3 or 4 story parking garage.
If you're going to pay to park at BART for a few days you might as well pick a closer station if you can, like Colma, SSF, or San Bruno, I regularly park long-term at San Bruno, and my car has never been broken into or damaged.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
If you're going to pay to park at BART for a few days you might as well pick a closer station if you can, like Colma, SSF, or San Bruno, I regularly park long-term at San Bruno, and my car has never been broken into or damaged.
And I -have- had my car vandalized at the Millbrae station. It's a low foot traffic station because it's mainly used as a transfer point between Caltrain and BART, compared with San Bruno which is attached to the Tanforan mall and also the San Bruno police station.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM

35 posts, read 186,114 times
Is it safe to leave the car parked (with 2 suitcases in the trunk) in a private parking station?
Anyone that you recommend where from there it would be relatively easy to drive to the airport?
The idea is to drive back from Napa on Sunday and get in SF around 11am. We want to leave the car parked somewhere (with the bags in it) and explore the city by subway. So, a parking place that is close to a metro station would be great! We would return, pick up the car and drive to the airport around 7pm.

thanks!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbra View Post
Is it safe to leave the car parked (with 2 suitcases in the trunk) in a private parking station?
Anyone that you recommend where from there it would be relatively easy to drive to the airport?
The idea is to drive back from Napa on Sunday and get in SF around 11am. We want to leave the car parked somewhere (with the bags in it) and explore the city by subway. So, a parking place that is close to a metro station would be great! We would return, pick up the car and drive to the airport around 7pm.

thanks!
Park at the San Bruno BART station, next to the Tanforan Mall. Plenty of parking at either the BART station (4 or 5 story parking garage) or at the mall. It's close to the I-380 freeway and within a mile or two of the SFO airport www.bart.gov/stations/sbrn/neighborhood.aspx

Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM

35 posts, read 186,114 times
Thank you humboldtrat. I will definitely try to park there.
One question though is that at the San Bruno's website it is mentioned that estimated filling time is 8AM. I would think this is an estimate for a weekday, right? We will be parking this Sunday... hopefully it won't be so packed! Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbra View Post
Thank you humboldtrat. I will definitely try to park there.
One question though is that at the San Bruno's website it is mentioned that estimated filling time is 8AM. I would think this is an estimate for a weekday, right? We will be parking this Sunday... hopefully it won't be so packed! Thanks again.
It shouldn't be a problem on a Sunday and there is always parking at the mall. The BART parking area is behind the mall near the Century Cinema. When going to SF, get off at the Powell St station. The end of the cable car line is just above the subway station and Union Square is about 2 blocks away. Just outside the Powell St. station, there is a SF tourist office where you can get free maps and brochures (and ask questions). Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland