Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:33 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,470 times

Advertisements

Boy Scout, sunday school, paper route with the Oakland TRIB,What happened....I always longed to go back, but its not there RIGHT>I WILL SAVE MY GAS? (
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Boy Scout, sunday school, paper route with the Oakland TRIB,What happened....I always longed to go back, but its not there RIGHT>I WILL SAVE MY GAS? (
Alameda is still there, and Alameda is still nice. Will it be the same as 1958?

Of course not. It's been fifty years. Alameda has it's own newspaper. There's been tremendous growth. Since 1958 a lot has happened.

Is it worth you coming back? Why not? Come out and take a look. You may not want to move back here, but it would be fun to take a vacation out here and see what's happened since you left.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:29 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Alameda's paper is the Time-Star, I believe

Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
A lot changed with the base closings...

Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Alameda is still there, and Alameda is still nice. Will it be the same as 1958?

Of course not. It's been fifty years. Alameda has it's own newspaper. There's been tremendous growth. Since 1958 a lot has happened.

Is it worth you coming back? Why not? Come out and take a look. You may not want to move back here, but it would be fun to take a vacation out here and see what's happened since you left.
THANKS WILL YOU BAKE ME SOME COOKIES AND SEW ON MY TROOP 17 PATCHES,,,,,,,,,,KIDDING.....WE LIVED IN tHE dILLER hOUSE........IT WAS GREAT IN THE SCOUTS........PERFECT ,THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME REMEMBER

Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM

226 posts, read 1,125,914 times
Some of the changes Alameda has endured since 1958:

Alameda Theatre stopped operating as a cinema in 1979 and was architecturally neglected for many years. This year, it has reopened as a cinema, fully restored and larger than ever before.

Longs Drugs has been remodeled to resemble the Art Deco style of the theatre.

A new main library replaced the Carnegie library across from Longs and the City Hall.

The addition of several new residential districts, including South Shore, Harbor Bay, Marina Village, and the redevelopment of the former Naval Air Station, resulting in Bayport and the yet-to-be-constructed Alameda Landing. A water taxi or aerial gondola will be in place to connect to Jack London Square and a new commercial center will be built in the vincity.

South Shore Center is now "Alameda Towne Centre". Mervyns, JC Penney's, and Ross have all closed. Mervyns will be replaced with Kohl's, and Ross has been replaced with TJ Max.

The "West End" came to be the "poor" side of town, though it is far from being like Oakland's notorious neighborhoods. A few years ago, redevelopment began to force the emigration of lower income households from the West End to other parts of the Bay Area, notably the Harbor Isles Apartment evictions, to make way for market-rate rentals and homes.

Some people complain of airplane noise from the nearby OAK airport, but for many, it does not bother them.

Alameda is more racially diverse. Local schools have a significant Asian population along with the existing European-American population.

Alameda Power and Telecom still provides electricity to locals, however it solf off its broadband and cable television unit to Comcast.

In general, Alameda is still a great place to live and to raise a family, but now has a older population, as demonstrated by the decreasing student generation rates. However, it has become very expensive compared to other parts of the nation in terms of homes, though not quite as expensive now following the housing value declines.

Alameda also has the Alameda Journal.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
Do you expect any place to be the same after 50 years?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Alameda's paper is the Time-Star, I believe
The Star was the local paper and the Trib was the Oakland paper........

Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Do you expect any place to be the same after 50 years?
no.........that's just the way old people talk..........especially when they have country roots.........but knowing about Phillis Diller by buying her house was a gas HHAA HHHHHAAAAAAA.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
The Star was the local paper and the Trib was the Oakland paper........
They are the same papers with mainly the same articles and only a minimal differences (the local section). Now of course the times star is the mercury is the coco times is the san mateo County times etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland