Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM

95 posts, read 256,161 times

Advertisements

The Christmas trees weren't even out of the stores yet when the Valentine's candy was on the shelves, so I thought I better start making Valentines day plans!! My wife and I are going to be spending a long weekend in San Francisco (staying at the JW Marriott near Union Square). This will be our first getaway since our daughter was born over a year ago (she will not be accompanying us). I want to make this a special trip. Can anyone give me suggestions on restaurants that are typical San Francisco. We pretty much eat anything (except Sushi). I don't mind spending a couple hundred for the dinner and drinks. A restaurant along the water or in a scenic part would be great.

I have done some searching already and see several different boat/yacht companies that offer a dinner and boat cruise. Is it worth the money? has anyone done one of the cruises before?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Well, lucky gal you have there!
Here's my suggestions:

Fleur De Lys has been reviewed as the most romantic restaurant in SF. never been myself, sigh, but I know many who have and say it's very nice.
I love the food at Michael Mina which is incredible, it's in the St. Francis right on Union Square...other restaurants in that downtown/union square area:
Boulevard
Slanted Door
Farallon
Postrio
Teatro Zinzani might be an interesting night as well...
and you must swing through the Farmer's Market in the Ferry Building.
Zuni Cafe is famous around here...
check Yelp.
I haven't done, or heard anything about the food on those cruise things, my guess is that they're kinda tourist traps, but I've no idea.

I think Gary Danko is totally overrated I went there twice and was not impressed with the cuisine

Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
I took a hornblower cruise (out to the Ggate and stuff) in 2003 and i had a live bug crawl out of my spinach salad as I was EATING it. IT was my BIRTHDAY- UGH. They offered free wine but i was 6 months pregnant so that was out of the question. They offered a free picture which i have lost since then. But the memory of the live bug crawling out of my salad remains. Just an FYI the cruise is great but they may not wash the food all the way apparently.

For the views(and food): Top of the Mark, The Equinox, The Cliff House, The Slanted Door.

For the food: Paradiso, Fifth Floor, Michael Mina, Asia de Cuba,

For the ambiance,: Foreign Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyGuy View Post
The Christmas trees weren't even out of the stores yet when the Valentine's candy was on the shelves, so I thought I better start making Valentines day plans!! My wife and I are going to be spending a long weekend in San Francisco (staying at the JW Marriott near Union Square). This will be our first getaway since our daughter was born over a year ago (she will not be accompanying us). I want to make this a special trip. Can anyone give me suggestions on restaurants that are typical San Francisco. We pretty much eat anything (except Sushi). I don't mind spending a couple hundred for the dinner and drinks. A restaurant along the water or in a scenic part would be great.

I have done some searching already and see several different boat/yacht companies that offer a dinner and boat cruise. Is it worth the money? has anyone done one of the cruises before?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 PM

95 posts, read 256,161 times
Thanks for the info. Fleur De Lys is already booked! So, I will be taking a look at the other options to see if there are any options that we might like. Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times
i havent been there...but i have the zuni cafe cook book
the food is amazing (its medditeranean)
it has most italian and rustic french food but then also spanish
its in this pie shaped building with glass walls and a wood burning oven
oh and its not really fancy (so maybe for another day) but its still pretty pricey.
if you plan on visiting berkeley theres chez panisse

Old 01-11-2009, 12:00 PM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times
oh and if you're going to nappa there's the french laundry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland