Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
ROLFMAO...Kansas...right..that is why everyone from the bay area moved up to the area..

I wished more people thought like City Boy at times

P.S. I went to UOP and I can honestly tell you you can't possiby understand Sacramento by passing through on the way to Tahoe or Reno. At SOME point, being able to live within your means and have some sort of life outweighs the expense of being house poor and being able to have some legacy. Anyway, you have to do what is right for your family. I wouldn't be frightened away by some people that are truly ignorant of the area.
The only reason people move to sacramento from here is because they can no longer afford it here and do not want to leave california. BUT they want to be close to the bay area. I have friends who moved to Elk Grove and spend every single weekend in San Francisco. Hey but if you enjoy that flat boring place good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 04:31 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times
Well, this "flat boring place" known as Sacramento happens to be an excellent location. I'm 90 minutes from Lake Tahoe and 90 minutes from Berkeley during non-rush hour times. Plus, we are not trapped in the San Fran Bay bowl with the 6 or 7 million people stuck in traffic. Better to have a little elbow room here in the Valley in my opinion.

Out of town guests are amazed when you tell them what their day trip options are from here. Mother Lode Gold Country, Wine Country, Delta boating, San Francisco, High Sierra wilderness and redwoods or beautiful Lake Tahoe.

I'll take some summer heat for a great location. And not having to worry about my house being pounded into the ground by a big earthquake.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:25 PM

9 posts, read 39,159 times
Nothing beats coastal or near-coastal living!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 PM
PNH

44 posts, read 222,608 times
I keep noticing that when people talk about what is wonderful about Sacramento, all they usually say is that it's not too far away from some other really neat places. Hmm.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNH View Post
I keep noticing that when people talk about what is wonderful about Sacramento, all they usually say is that it's not too far away from some other really neat places. Hmm.
LOL... I really don't mean to bash Sacramento, but I actually thought the same thing. Recently I visited the town of Fairfield for a job interview, and was immediately scared by their unofficial slogan - "Fairfield, Gateway to Great Things!" I'm sorry, but when your biggest claim to fame is being NEAR good stuff, it makes one wonder... I was offered the job, but turned it down for a position in San Francisco.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,394 times
Prices are going down a bit if you look I Saw a couple of 2 bedroom condos listed in Walnut Creek for the mid 300K. Great school District, wonderful town great access 680 and Bart.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 AM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
The only reason people move to sacramento from here is because they can no longer afford it here and do not want to leave california. BUT they want to be close to the bay area. I have friends who moved to Elk Grove and spend every single weekend in San Francisco. Hey but if you enjoy that flat boring place good for you.
...or because they can get a mansion in sacto from selling their 1950's ranch house in the Bay. That sounds like it's only the poor folks coming to Sac from the Bay... It's a lot of folks that lived in the Bay Area for their careers and did quite well that are cashing out too.

I'm originally from the SF and moved to Granite Bay... SF's still my favorite city in the world, but 10 years in Sacramento makes it such that Sac is what feels like "home" to me now, and I think there's someting to be said for what you can get comparatively speaking. Being able to "stretch out" has its upside.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,224 times
Don't move to the valley! Stay in or close to the Bay Area if you can.
*Sacramento's summers are extremely oppressive and they appear to becoming longer and hotter with each passing year.
*Sacramento has poor and stagnate air quality especially from May through October. This winter we had little rain (as did the entire state) and smoggy days were common in January and February.
*If you suffer from even mild seasonal allergies Sacramento is a living hell from mid March through mid June. The city literally turns into a smoggy, stagnate, hot, pollen pit.
*Much of Sacramento city proper is destitute and crime ridden. There are only a handful of pleasant and safe neighborhoods, but unfortunately, most of these neighborhoods share borders with some of the worst parts of town. The city's two shopping malls, Downtown Plaza and Arden Fair Mall are choc-full of violent thugs, truant and pregnant teenagers, and homeless people. The city of Sacramento had the grand idea in the early 70's of making K St.(adjacent to Downtown Plaza) a pedestrian only thoroughfare which only has added to it's deterioration. Picture cutting off the blood supply to your arm. Eventually your arm will turn blue, begin to die, and eventually rot and fall off. That is what happened to K St. when they closed it off to traffic. A safe and pleasant feeling shopping experience would force you to drive 20 miles out of the city to Roseville Galleria or Sunrise Mall. Arden Fair Mall is an urban planner's nightmare with extreme over development in a very small area and a lack of adequate parking with constant surface street congestion.
*Many inter-city freeway bills were vetoed in the 60's and 70's to curb urban sprawl. Well, urban sprawl happened anyway and Sacramento's antequated and inadequate freeway system is bearing the brunt. During rush hour and many other times of the day the region's inhabitants clog the area's hokey freeway system. Only Interstates 5, 80, US50, and hwy 99 serve a region of almost 3 million people. Business 80, also known as the Capital City Freeway (a hazardous, nine mile strip of roadway that resembles Disneyland's Autopia ride more than a freeway) cradles the eastern edge of downtown.
The remainder of the commuters clog, and I mean CLOG onto the area's small and narrow streets for several hours each day.
*Not a whole lot going on this crime ridden, polluted, and congested valley town. But if you're thinking of moving to South Placer County (Roseville area) I would reconsider that as well. That area is extremely morally and politically conservative with a lack of cultural diversity - it's 89% caucasian. In the four years I worked there I encountered many racists, spolied, trouble making rich kids, and rude, snobbish, self-absorbed soccer moms. A safe place to do your mall shopping, but that's about it. Do not torment your child by raising him in such an intolerant, backward community. The Kansas comparison is relatively accurate for this area - but maybe with wealthier inhabitants.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
My favorite area in Northern California is actually up about 20 minutes east of Sacramento. The town is called Auburn and in my opinion is one of those hidden gems most people in SF are totally unaware of. It looks like a real town complete with historic buildings and a downtown full of great places to eat. It lacks the pretentiousness of San Fran, is close enough to Sac to work there, and it has a number of rivers and parks that offer lots of fun ( if you like that kind of thing). Up the road are the cities of Grass valley, Nevada City, and Placer. This area is what I consider "old California", full of history and character. Many who live there have been there since the 1840's. The weather is hot in the summer, but dry. It also doesn't get as cold in the winter.What's more- it is more affordable. Not cheap, but a house won't cost you 700k either. Maybe 400-450k. The Sac area is getting hit much worse with depreciation, so you will probably get way more for your money in the next year or two.

if you can't imagine living anywhere than SF, then you should stay in SF. But as for myself, I'd take Auburn anyday over SF.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:16 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times
I think the original poster should move to beautiful Rocklin/Roseville.

The reaction from the Bay Area types says much about their inferiority complex toward Sacramento
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland