Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 AM

12 posts, read 36,900 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ! I hope starting my graduate studies in Fall 2009 as an international student in the field of Ship and Sea Constructions and I really need some help for guidance because it's like I am going to be getting into a totally new type of living in a foreign country.

After the declaration of admissions, I will choose among 3 universities, namely University of Michigan (@ Ann Arbor), University of California(@ Berkeley) and Virginia Tech(@ Blacksburg.) But I am clueless about which one would be the most suitable for me. Can anyone help me by providing some ideas on this matter and information about these places ? Here is some information about me so that you can say what is good or bad according to my properties and conditions :

Income: My tuition, student fees, compulsory charges for education and health insurance will be handled by a sponsor; I won't need to think about them. And I will have a monthly budget of $1235 to pay for my room&board, food, transportation, personal expenses, entertaintment etc.
Lifestyle: I have a social lifestyle. I am a scuba-diver and also a professional salsa and RnB hip hop dancer who regularly attends dance parties. I am pretty used to meeting new people (especially girls ) and getting social. So, as an engineering graduate student, I would like the place I will live in to provide me opportunities for a lively social life in a not-so expensive way. I don't smoke but I like drinking and nightlife(just for fun; not too much.) It seems like I will use public transportation instead of a car due to the strict budget I will have. UC Berkeley and University of Michigan have very expensive dorms, so; I can think about living with mates by renting.
From the Past : I grew up in a warm, shore city of Mediterrean where nearly 4 million people live in. It never snows here in my homeland, and the weather is pretty good even in the winter. We have sun nearly every day of the year except a few days in the winter. People are also open-minded,warm and easy to to communicate here in my city. I have enjoyed a cheap university life here.

Although the quality of the universities will be an important element in my consideration; financing myself and living a happy life during my graduate studies is also important in equal. I would be glad to hear any suggestions, ideas or information for they will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland