Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 PM

124 posts, read 383,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

A bunch of people who can't control themselves because they are upset is hardly a selling point, and business in Oakland may suffer in this already fragile economy.
I didn't say it was a selling point, but I do think alot of people in America feel sympathy for the people of Oakland who have to deal with things like this often. Now i'm not saying that all these people are gonna rush to move to Oakland, but it sure will open peoples eyes and hopefully those of the city officials. I do agree that violent protests are like I said completely a stage to perform ignorant acts on, but it does get a message across in America. However rediculous it sounds and is, in America it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The video and news reports show he was handcuffed After being shot...

No excuses, just trying to keep on track...

Oakland is again in the International News... and again, Oakland IS a victim...

No Oakland Police, Citizens, Government Officials were involved with the shooting... yet we continue to pay the price...
I'll be honest here.. I haven't heard anyone outside this board bring up the fact that it was in Oakland, let alone elaborate on whether that did or did not have anything to do with the shooting. All they care about is that it was a young man who was killed in cold blood. There's a certain subset of Oaklanders that just likes to destroy things I guess.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I'll be honest here.. I haven't heard anyone outside this board bring up the fact that it was in Oakland, let alone elaborate on whether that did or did not have anything to do with the shooting. All they care about is that it was a young man who was killed in cold blood. There's a certain subset of Oaklanders that just likes to destroy things I guess.
A colleague e-mailed me from Germany to see if I was OK...

He saw video footage of Oakland burning and Riot Police "Shooting" at protesters. The German news said Police shot a man in the back early New Years morning and the protesters marched on City Hall.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMusician91 View Post
I didn't say it was a selling point, but I do think alot of people in America feel sympathy for the people of Oakland who have to deal with things like this often. Now i'm not saying that all these people are gonna rush to move to Oakland, but it sure will open peoples eyes and hopefully those of the city officials. I do agree that violent protests are like I said completely a stage to perform ignorant acts on, but it does get a message across in America. However rediculous it sounds and is, in America it works.

I think most people in america have sympathy for Oaklanders because of the aggressive crime element the regular citizen are forced to deal with.
Maybe because we deal with an understaffed and undertrained police department, but they certainly don't feel badly for the rioters.

I feel bad for Detroit cops, but not Detroit Gangbangers.
Oakland garners the same type of sympathy. The poor regular people trying to eek out a living with the nasties rioters attacking their own neighbors and the police trying to minimize casualties.

Until i hear all the evidence, which means frame by frame analysis and sound quality as well as testimony under oath and everything I will not pass judgement on the cop. I can wait.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The city it happened in didn't matter.

It was on the Dublin/PLeasanton--> SF line so Oakland was merely a pittstop.

This guy didn't live in Oakland and i have no idea where he was partying the night before.

Oakland is really a footnote in the death. Yet the protesters and rioters took it upon themselves to make this an Oakland issue when it is not.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM

67 posts, read 247,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
If Oscar Grant wasn't resisting arrest, perhaps he wouldn't have put the officer's nerves on edge. Moral of the story: don't resist law enforecement officers and do exactly what they say. Besides, wasn't Mr. Grant fighting on the subway with his "homies"?

Moral of the story #2: don't be a violent douchebag.

I feel immense sorrow for the officer and his family. I can't imagine what they're going through.

Have you seen the video? I am trying really hard to uphold the "no personal attacks" rule here but you're not making it easy. The cop is a murderer. Manslaughterer (is that a word?) at best.

People like you make me almost as mad as the murderous, racist cops who perpetrate these atrocities on a regular basis. I feel immense sorrow for Oscar Grant and his family.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Also, the murderer's most recently listed address shows him as residing in Napa, which is ridiculous in itself. Don't you have to live within the jurisdiction that you work in if you're a cop? No BART trains operate anywhere near Napa.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 PM

Sorry to keep adding posts-

But one of the things that makes it even more absurd is the police's claim that BART cameras happened to be off that day. No explanation as to why. Two cell phone videos were confiscated before one was releaed. Some are claiming the cop mistook the gun for a Taser. So Oscar Grant is dead because a trained, taxpayer-funded officer of the law doesn't know the difference between a gun and a taser? I don't condone the random smashing and burning, but this cop needs to do serious jail time, and so do the people who tried to cover it up.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM

No, he wasn't an elected official. He could live anwhere he wanted to commute from. Teachers do not live in the towns they teach at much of the time.

It's not ridiculous. I's a JOB. Do YOU live in the city you work at? Would you want to have to reapply for a new job everytime you moved to another city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoaklandish View Post
Also, the murderer's most recently listed address shows him as residing in Napa, which is ridiculous in itself. Don't you have to live within the jurisdiction that you work in if you're a cop? No BART trains operate anywhere near Napa.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoaklandish View Post
In Chicago you do (which is one of the many reasons why Chicago never degenerated to the level of Detroit or Cleveland), but in California you don't have to live in the city or jurisdiction to be a cop there because of a law that the ACLU pushed through the legislature in the late '70s. I suppose if CA didnt have that law the Marin County and San Mateo County Sheriffs or other departments in Marin and San Mateo might have problems with hiring officers.
Even the SFPD would be impacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland