Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 AM

495 posts, read 1,829,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I think that if you lived in San Francisco prior to the dot-com days and had children back then, then perhaps you might have a better understanding of what San Francisco used to be. I grew up in the Sunset and Richmond districts where there was much more diversity in all areas.. cultural, age, and economic.

If you are trying to suggest that the influx of people into San Francisco over the past 15+ years is very diverse economically and of varied ages, then I would say that you are flat out wrong. The majority of transplants DO move here for the money. Artists, musicians, actors , teachers, firemen, etc. cannot make enough to survive for very long once they do decide to "settle" for good and/or purchase a house for themselves.

I travel into the City frequently still and it's very apparent how much it's changed. At forty(ish!) I find it shocking now days how my husband and I are often the oldest people in restaurants! There are no children or elderly around. (I'm not talkin' about fancy places either). Took one of my kids to the new Academy and surprisingly, very few kids!

Now, I'm not saying that San Francisco doesn't have diversity.. It's just a whole lot different than when I was younger. I know this might sound very odd, but I actually experienced more diversity in Sacramento, Oakland, and even one of the most remote areas in Ireland (I kid you not) in terms of age, different cultures, and varied socioeconomic status.

When you see boutiques and fancy restaurants in neighborhoods like the "Haight" or "Hayes Valley" then it's pretty obvious who has moved into the neighborhood and plans on spending any extra disposable income. Certainly not middle class families or immigrants.

I am glad that you have not had any negative experiences with raising one child in the City. I don't think that what I have experienced for myself is really unique because everyone I have met since I moved out of the City (mostly ex-San Franciscans) have experienced a similar vibe. Perhaps you have just been lucky or don't notice? I dunno, I've got a few kids now, and I'm painfully aware when I get the "look" or tisk/tisks from people that I suspect (I'm guessing here) see me as mother earth destroyer/cause of the downfall of man?
I grew up in the Sunset also and you have described so clearly & eloquently what has transpired with the city of San Francisco. I remember as a kid there were plenty of children in the city and we had a blast! Before the days of strict parental controls and you could roam free on MUNI. Ahhh remember the days? It's a shame that many people will never know what it was really like pre 1995 to be immersed in this beautiful city. There was a true sense of community which is all but obliterated now. The culture (past & current) is exactly as you describe it. Thank you for sharing your insight. It's so refreshing and I couldn't have said it any better!

Last edited by redwoodlvr; 01-21-2009 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 PM

18 posts, read 34,939 times
Quote:
I think that if you lived in San Francisco prior to the dot-com days and had children back then, then perhaps you might have a better understanding of what San Francisco used to be. I grew up in the Sunset and Richmond districts where there was much more diversity in all areas.. cultural, age, and economic.

I did live here. Why do you assume otherwise?

Also, see my first post in this thread (#13).

Quote:
If you are trying to suggest that the influx of people into San Francisco over the past 15+ years is very diverse economically and of varied ages, then I would say that you are flat out wrong. The majority of transplants DO move here for the money. Artists, musicians, actors, teachers, firemen, etc. cannot make enough to survive for very long once they do decide to "settle" for good and/or purchase a house for themselves.

Let me ask, how many people do you know who have moved here over the past 15 years? And where is all this “money” that they are coming for? I’d like to get my hands on some of that!

People move here because of opportunity – immigrants and U.S. college graduates alike. If you are looking for a career in technology, come from Ohio, and have a sense of adventure…? If you want to call that moving here for the “money” … open up your mind.

In addition those looking for opportunity, I know many, many people who came here, and continue to come here, and work in the service industry because of their desire to move to an exciting, interesting city. They move without solid job or career plans. They do know that when they do decide, they will most likely be able to pursue it here. They are able to survive because they work at it; they work two jobs, they save money, etc. It can be done. And some of them end up as teachers, firemen, etc. Just to suggest that people can’t survive long really sells people short. Those prone to whining do not survive long. Actually, they never come in the first place.

Quote:
I travel into the City frequently still and it's very apparent how much it's changed. At forty(ish!) I find it shocking now days how my husband and I are often the oldest people in restaurants! There are no children or elderly around. (I'm not talkin' about fancy places either). Took one of my kids to the new Academy and surprisingly, very few kids!
Quote:

I am glad that you have not had any negative experiences with raising one child in the City. I don't think that what I have experienced for myself is really unique because everyone I have met since I moved out of the City (mostly ex-San Franciscans) have experienced a similar vibe. Perhaps you have just been lucky or don't notice? I dunno, I've got a few kids now, and I'm painfully aware when I get the "look" or tisk/tisks from people that I suspect (I'm guessing here) see me as mother earth destroyer/cause of the downfall of man?

The only parents who get tsked are those who have ill-mannered children; I tsk them myself (not suggesting yours are!). If anyone tsks me because of some self-righteous PC attitude, I’m the first person to speak up, loudly. They back down very quickly, trust me. I suggest you do the same!

Look, you remember the city differently than the way I currently experience it. That’s fine, but can I also conclude that you don’t live here, and don’t see everything that I see on a daily basis?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,977,553 times
You are absolutely entitled to your opinions so it seems pointless to argue with me. My experiences has been different. Your posts seem pretty hostile and angry toward me. That in itself seems like the type of behavior/attitude I see as being prevalent in the City now days. The proof is in the pudding.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,122,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It might attract the gay community, but the fact remains that it is NOT billed as a "gay event" - as per the website, it is a "leather festival" which people of all orientations attend. My straight roommate went last year with her straight male friend, and they had a blast. FOLSOM STREET FAIR

Yup, and that's one thing I love most about SF.
We aren't gay and we were going to go last year but we couldn't get a sitter and it's not so safe for little kids really.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,122,811 times
I will just say as someone who has lived in SF, and around the bay, on and off for 35 years, that I still love it. I take my kids there, not to the bars we used to hit back in the day, but to the family stuff that i went to as a kid.

The 90's were a good time there.

Nice weather for those of us not into living in the snow OR sweat.

Pretty sights, not to much trouble to get into.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:44 PM

18 posts, read 34,939 times
Quote:
You are absolutely entitled to your opinions so it seems pointless to argue with me. My experiences has been different. Your posts seem pretty hostile and angry toward me. That in itself seems like the type of behavior/attitude I see as being prevalent in the City now days. The proof is in the pudding.

I merely responded to your opinion about me being “dead wrong.” I’m sorry you took it as hostile.

Your ad hominem response was certainly unwarranted.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
God help me from taking the yuppies side, but isn't it too big an assumption to think that a musician necessarily contributes more to the city, the country or even the world? To be honest the world would be a better place if certain musician wannabes called it a day...
Well that may be true too, but I was only speaking on musicians as an example of what used to be more of a welcome addition. Anyone who is willing to bring something positive is welcome. I'm not a fan of stuck-up, money before all, business only types who just bring a negative energy. And we have many more of those now than we used to. That's all. Anyone who won't kill the vibe here and help turn neighborhoods all trendy and boring, or help to usher in nothing but chains while chasing out the unique mom n' pop businesses, is fine in my book.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,467,459 times
Quote:
Yeah that's the same attitude I dislike as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland