Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 PM

186 posts, read 475,165 times

Advertisements

BART Police Officer Arrested In Connection With Fatal Shooting
Tuesday, January 13, 2009

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Several well-placed sources are telling KTVU news that a murder warrant was issued for former BART officer Johannes Mehserle and that Mehserle is now in custody.
KTVU has been told that Mehserle is coming from some distance away and won't arrive at the jail Tuesday night. When he does arrive, Mehserle will be booked into the Santa Rita Jail in Pleasanton.Moderator cut: Please only post link & a blurb

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-14-2009 at 04:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 AM

100 posts, read 280,898 times
So justice is finally served. I personally believe that a charge of voluntary manslaughter would be the most appropriate. I do not believe for a second that Mehserle intended to kill Oscar Grant, but one would think that an officer would receive enough training that a deadly accident wouldn't result from mistaking a gun for a taser. Indeed, there was a brief struggle and Grant was not handcuffed, but seriously, how much of a threat can an unarmed man pose while lying on his stomach with both arms outstretched?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
when i was a kid the cops shot bad guys or put them in jail, now its the reverse.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM

67 posts, read 247,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when i was a kid the cops shot bad guys or put them in jail, now its the reverse.
now they shoot good guys?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:03 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
I think he's made it clear he will never take the stand. So they won't have any insider information as to what he meant to do.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Why the he!! do BART cops have guns at all? That's like handing guns out to rent-a-cops at the mall.
What, is someone hopping onto a train without paying really that important?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,850 times
I feel for both Oscar Grant and Johannes Mehserle. It is not going to be fun for Mr. Mehserle during the trial and if he goes to prison. It's a tragedy all the way around for them and their families. An unfortunate reflection of the worst of our society's condition. My Dad was a cop. He told me himself....when you're carrying around a gun, it changes you. You do not know how you will react in every situation, training or not. Not making excuses - I was very angry myself initially when I heard about this, but I've started to put a lot of things into perspective. He's probably not a murderer, but he definately did not react from a balanced, centered space. His own "stuff" whether it was racially motivated or not and emotions most probably entered the picture when he pulled the trigger. Guns = power. And power generally becomes corrupt. Could happen to anyone. Just my opinion.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:38 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Why the he!! do BART cops have guns at all? That's like handing guns out to rent-a-cops at the mall.
What, is someone hopping onto a train without paying really that important?
I agree, who knew bart cops have guns? I thought they were mall rentacops as well. I had no idea they were allowed to carry a weapon.

It seems like they should not be allowed to at the rate they are going.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
BART PD is a large Department... larger than many CA cities...

They have full police powers and on occasion stopped armed robberies, a car jacking and numerous vehicle break-ins...

Old 01-14-2009, 06:39 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
BART PD is a large Department... larger than many CA cities...

They have full police powers and on occasion stopped armed robberies, a car jacking and numerous vehicle break-ins...
Yeah... they aren't quite at the same level as SFPD (or any other local PD), but they are definitely above a "mall cop." They deal with a lot of crap, as I saw when I was regularly riding BART - including but not limited to robberies, assaults, car thefts, drugs, and just about everything else a "real" cop sees. That doesn't justify this incident, but I do support their right to have guns... especially considering that security guards are often armed too (the guard at my old job had a gun - all he had to do was pass a test on gun safety).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland