Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:55 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times

Advertisements

It is not safe at all there. But I was told I was wrong, and ignored. Now people are rioting and causing mayhem, destroying things for no reason, using that shooting as an excuse.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,532 times
Ummm if you think you are the first person to say Oakland is on average more dangerous than other cities, than you have a lot to learn. That's like me saying...it's going to rain within 3 months and 2 weeks later it rains and I'm like...see I told you all where is my award!!! lol

Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times
You may be right, but everyone on this forum claimed it was so safe there when I posted my experiences, and ignored me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Ummm if you think you are the first person to say Oakland is on average more dangerous than other cities, than you have a lot to learn. That's like me saying...it's going to rain within 3 months and 2 weeks later it rains and I'm like...see I told you all where is my award!!! lol

Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
You may be right, but everyone on this forum claimed it was so safe there when I posted my experiences, and ignored me.
Yeah and WHY IS all the rioting going on there?

The guy killed wasn't from Oakland.
The Cop isn't from Oakland.
The train was going from SF --> Dublin/Pleasanton -Getting pulled of the train in Oakland was pure happenstance.
The police were not Oakland Police, they were BART police.
The protesters arrested are mostly NOT from Oakland.

So why is Oakland the place to riot?

Because people think it is a place they can get away with it?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:50 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Lulu101 you have no idea what you're talking about. I already addressed what you said about the riot in oakland in another thread but i'll say it again:

There was one protest, a week ago, and a smaller group broke off and went around wrecking stuff: including what?...a couple cars, a police car, store windows, and they set a dumpster on fire. 100 people were arrested...yesterday there was another protest. That time only 18 people were arrested, and there was only minor vandalism. And this equals horrible rioting to you? You can barely even call it a riot compared to stuff like watts, detroit, 92 LA riots, etc, etc.

Also, Oakland isn't completely dangerous. It has nice parts and bad parts just like any city.

Have you ever lived in Oakland before?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Lulu101, is telling the truth. Oakland has many problems. Many areas are nice and are really great during the day. Many people on this forum try to convince others that the place is so safe. Protests happen all the time in SF but you don't hear about riots.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,423 times
Oakland is a big city. A few windows and fires during a massive political protest in downtown does not make the city "dangerous."

There are many, many people who need to convince themselves that where they live nothing "bad" happens. Those people should avoid Oakland and really all big cities.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
I've lived in many big cities. You can't avoid crime nor should you try to convince yourself that Oakland doesn't have problems. Oakland is a big city that makes the news often for its crime. It is known for its crime. All of Oakland is not bad but the parts that are bad that rarely get visited is REALLY bad.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
Yep, you guys called it. Everyone in Oakland is rioting, all of us!!

You should be very, very carefull. I would avoid Oakland at all costs. You never know, it might spill over into Baton Rouge or Atlanta! Oooohhhh

Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,850 times
Crime is everywhere and nowhere.

You attract what you believe.

If you believe a place is dangerous, you will continue to create the circumstances that validate your belief. And you will view anything that takes place through your it's a dangerous city lens.

It's all relative.

It was one riot and had more to do with anger, frustration & mob mentality taking over I think then anything to do with the drug trafficking & gang problems in let's say East Oakland for example. People are also on a short fuse most likely because of the current economic conditions exacerbating their already dire circumstances. Yes, absolutely parts of Oakland have a great deal of high crime activity, but Omaha, Nebraska can say the same thing about some of it's neighborhoods as well.

The entire city of Oakland is a dangerous place to live song is getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland