Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,372,130 times

Advertisements

I never seen gang members in the shopping area of Union Square, just homeless that overflow from Market St and Tenderloin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,632,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
The Richmond District is pretty safe, no doubt, but it's still in the city and usually sees a few shootings and stabbings every year, as well as a murder or two. There are plenty of places in the Bay Area that have less crime than the Richmond.
Not according to the crime stats, Outer Richmond and Outer Sunset are the safest places. I don't hink you can interject places like Hillsborough etc where only millionaires live behind electrified fences

Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,213,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Not according to the crime stats, Outer Richmond and Outer Sunset are the safest places. I don't hink you can interject places like Hillsborough etc where only millionaires live behind electrified fences
There are neighborhoods in SF its self that have less crime than the Richmond or Sunset Districts, not to mention many other cities entirely which would be on the same level or safer (a couple parts of the Sunset are actually a little bit more sketchy at times than most people realize, though its still usually perfectly safe).

Would you mind posting these crime stats for me? Last i checked the SFPD didn't even break down neighborhoods by crime rate.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,632,840 times
Quote:
There are neighborhoods in SF its self that have less crime than the Richmond or Sunset Districts, not to mention many other cities entirely which would be on the same level or safer (a couple parts of the Sunset are actually a little bit more sketchy at times than most people realize, though its still usually perfectly safe).

Would you mind posting these crime stats for me? Last i checked the SFPD didn't even break down neighborhoods by crime rate.
I don't get the crime stats anymore since I retired and I'm not going to quibble with you about how safe it is in Outer Richmond where I lived for a decade. Like I said you can probably come up with some little towns in Marin or San Mateo County that had no crime at all over some period of time you select. That's really getting off the subject

Old 10-28-2009, 01:37 PM
rah

Quote:
Like I said you can probably come up with some little towns in Marin or San Mateo County that had no crime at all over some period of time you select. That's really getting off the subject
...it would prove my point, and disprove yours if i did that, so it's funny that you're trying to get me NOT to do it with that "off the subject" comment . Do "little towns" not count in your opinion? Also i can name a very big Bay Area city that no doubt would have neighborhoods as safe as the Richmond: San Jose. Oakland has it's very safe neighborhoods too. And what about Fremont? That's a safe city with undoubtedly very safe neighborhoods. Or is 200,000+ people still a "little town" to you? I could go on naming cities like this...

Old 10-28-2009, 02:06 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,771,797 times
here is the sf homicide map for the last 3 years. there are some homicides in richmond while there are many neighborhoods in the bay area without any during the same period.i consider the richmond safe just not the safest
Homicides in San Francisco 2007-2009 (http://www.sfgate.com/maps/sfhomicides/ - broken link)

jontastic -if you look at the homicide map you can see more homicides occured in soma,mission ,the tenderloin and hayes valley collectivelly than in bay view/hunters point in the last 3 years (about 70 in those neighborhoods and 49 in bv/hp).most homicides in all these areas are related to gangs and/or drug dealing .

Last edited by ssmaster; 10-28-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
rah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster
here is the sf homicide map for the last 3 years. there are some homicides in richmond while there are many neighborhoods in the bay area without any during the same period.i consider the richmond safe just not the safest
Homicides in San Francisco 2007-2009
Exactly the point i was making

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster
jontastic -if you look at the homicide map you can see more homicides occured in soma,mission ,the tenderloin and hayes valley collectivelly than in bay view/hunters point in the last 3 years (about 25).most are related to gangs and drug dealing in these areas.
Bayview/hunters Point has actually had 49 murders over the past 3 years (22 in 2007, 18 in 2008, and 9 so far this year). But you are right about other hoods having plenty as well. For example, the Mission has had 39 in the same time period (15 in 2007, 21 in 2008, and 3 so far this year), and the Tenderloin has had 27 (12 in 2007, 9 in 2008, 6 so far this year).

...and the rest of my post is directed at Boompa:

As far as the Richmond district goes, it had 1 murder in 2007, 1 murder in 2008, and 1 so far this year. The Sunset had 3 murders in 2007, 4 murders in 2008, and none so far this year. There are hoods in SF that fare better than that, as well as plenty of towns and cities around the bay that have similar or lower crime too.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,469 times
Quote:
If one is careful in any city than gangs won't have much if any part of your everyday life. Especially if you never go near gang territory. Same deal in SF. And no, North Beach and the Financial District don't have gangs, so don't worry. SF has gang problems, they're just largely different than LA's, and involve lots of loose organizations of friends who rep their neighborhood/project/block, etc, mostly sell drugs, and basically just get each other's backs. The authorities label them as gangs though, which really gives a lot more credit to most of them than they deserve, as they're not really organized except that they rep the same area. They're nothing like bloods or crips, and colors have no meaning (except for the Nortenos and Surenos, but they've been laying low with the colors recently because of the gang injunctions).
To this man talkin up here the are no crips in narf richmond they jus the word cuz not meaning crip. if you really from the bay your not either a blood or crip so dont let this ***** who think he not what he talkin bout a no crips in the narf they jus say cuz

Old 02-22-2010, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntDianesArk View Post
It's nowhere near as bad as in LA. There are just certain cities to avoid here.
yes the bay is just as bad as la maybe even worse they dont have gangs in the bay they just fonk over other **** but the bay will get with la no question about it

Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
rah

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel 42 View Post
To this man talkin up here the are no crips in narf richmond they jus the word cuz not meaning crip. if you really from the bay your not either a blood or crip so dont let this ***** who think he not what he talkin bout a no crips in the narf they jus say cuz
Are you trying to say that i claimed there are bloods or crips in the Bay?

...the post of mine that you quoted actually has me saying there are NOT bloods and crips in the Bay. I grew up here, I know there are no bloods or crips and i never said there were, either on this site, or at any point in my life...except in the early 90's when there WERE actually a couple short lived blood/crip sets in SF--in the Valencia Gardens Projects in the Mission, and Potrero Hill projects--not to mention a couple other old Bay Area sets like the Samoan bloods. Bloods and crips who tried to expand here got ran out 99% of the time, and those that actually established a foothold weren't around very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland