U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,399,172 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to SF from the Hampton Roads area of VA, and our music scene is pretty strong here. I imagine, with SF being such a large place, the music scene would be decent, but I'd like some specific info if anyone doesn't mind. I'm referring mostly to the metal/hardcore scene, but I enjoy going to all types of shows. I enjoy classical and jazz concerts too.

I'd also like to know, in regards to the metal/hardcore scene, what the crowd is usually like. Here in VA, for some stupid reason, the kids love to fight at every show and it's very cliquish. If you're not part of the right crowd, you often get picked on, and if you defend yourself or anything they like to jump you. They run around in "fight crews" often named after the area code they reside in (Seven-Fight-Seven for the 757 area code in Hampton Roads, and Hate-0-4 for the 804 area code in Richmond) and act tough. I know...it's dumb. Does this happen in SF very much?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 10,249,039 times
I think that you will be a bit out of your metal element if you are moving into SF proper.
It's way more of an indie. alt. punk rock scene than metal.
The hardcore scene out here really hasn't drifted as "metally" as it could've, and personally I'm glad for that.
But if you were looking outside of SF proper, you'd have a better chance finding your more metal scene.
I have a decent drummer friend who plays in 3 different metal/screamo/speedmetal bands up in Santa Rosa, for instance, but that's pretty much the metal folk that I know and I've been in the SF music scene since 93.
The music scene changed dramatically after the dot-commies came along. Alot of musicians and artists moved to Oakland and surrounding areas.
There are only a handful lock-out spaces left functioning within the city limits of SF, but the ones that are there are chock full of musicians of every brand breed and scene.
There are tons of shows of every muscial genre you could possibly think of though, in the SF Bay Area that's for sure....we don't lack in musical culture, but it does seem like the smaller live venues are starting to come back after a period of being "out of trend", which is so cool.
Have you looked around at Craigslist much?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I think that you will be a bit out of your metal element if you are moving into SF proper.
It's way more of an indie. alt. punk rock scene than metal.
The hardcore scene out here really hasn't drifted as "metally" as it could've, and personally I'm glad for that.
But if you were looking outside of SF proper, you'd have a better chance finding your more metal scene.
I have a decent drummer friend who plays in 3 different metal/screamo/speedmetal bands up in Santa Rosa, for instance, but that's pretty much the metal folk that I know and I've been in the SF music scene since 93.
The music scene changed dramatically after the dot-commies came along. Alot of musicians and artists moved to Oakland and surrounding areas.
There are only a handful lock-out spaces left functioning within the city limits of SF, but the ones that are there are chock full of musicians of every brand breed and scene.
There are tons of shows of every muscial genre you could possibly think of though, in the SF Bay Area that's for sure....we don't lack in musical culture, but it does seem like the smaller live venues are starting to come back after a period of being "out of trend", which is so cool.
Have you looked around at Craigslist much?
I'm a little suprised by that. I love the indie stuff, so having more shows like that will be nice (they're kinda rare here), but I'm kinda bummed about the metal scene. Metal isn't even my main music choice, but as far as shows go, metal and hardcore shows are the funnest in my opinion (aside from the fighting I mentioned). They're are so many good metal bands from CA, so I just figured SF would be a place they'd stop by. I'm glad the smaller venues are making a comeback, though. I used to play in a band for 5 years, so I love the small places. I'll always take them over a giant amphitheater.

I didn't know craigslist had info on shows and stuff. The only time I look on craigslist is for apts, jobs, and things for sale. I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm a little suprised by that. I love the indie stuff, so having more shows like that will be nice (they're kinda rare here), but I'm kinda bummed about the metal scene. Metal isn't even my main music choice, but as far as shows go, metal and hardcore shows are the funnest in my opinion (aside from the fighting I mentioned). They're are so many good metal bands from CA, so I just figured SF would be a place they'd stop by. I'm glad the smaller venues are making a comeback, though. I used to play in a band for 5 years, so I love the small places. I'll always take them over a giant amphitheater.

I didn't know craigslist had info on shows and stuff. The only time I look on craigslist is for apts, jobs, and things for sale. I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Craigslist has a community section and in there: musicians

also:

Berkeley's Gilman is the HC home of Green Day and a busy little scene there.

Far will be playing slim's in SF in Feb.

the Meat Puppets just played at the Mystic theatre in Petaluma

the Knitters are coming to SF and Petaluma

also look at San Francisco Bay Area — News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds: SFGate for the larger venue listings

East Bay Express

Bohemian.com | Sonoma County & Napa & Marin Movies, Music, Arts, Events and News

San Francisco Bay Guardian : Home Page for everything else!

that pretty much covers SF/EastBay/NorthBay

when are you moving out?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Craigslist has a community section and in there: musicians

also:

Berkeley's Gilman is the HC home of Green Day and a busy little scene there.

Far will be playing slim's in SF in Feb.

the Meat Puppets just played at the Mystic theatre in Petaluma

the Knitters are coming to SF and Petaluma

also look at San Francisco Bay Area — News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds: SFGate for the larger venue listings

East Bay Express

Bohemian.com | Sonoma County & Napa & Marin Movies, Music, Arts, Events and News

San Francisco Bay Guardian : Home Page for everything else!

that pretty much covers SF/EastBay/NorthBay

when are you moving out?
Yeah it looks like Slim's and DNA Lounge have most of the shows I'd be interested in. I'll check out craigslist and those links and see what else is going on. I'm coming out in May to see the city and just be a tourist for a week, but I'll be moving out permanently in June. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM

Happy to help!

I just played last week at Slim's, it's a great venue, they also run the Great American Music Hall
there's also the Warfield & the Fillmore for more national acts.

PM me when you're coming up on your travel dates....may be able to direct you to some good shows that are under the radar....
cheers

Old 01-21-2009, 03:08 PM

1,505 posts, read 2,895,374 times
Google Music: Journey

Yeah I definitely will. Thanks a lot!

5,113 posts, read 18,156,739 times
orange county(socal) is really the home for hardcore/metalcore/etc in CA(thus "OC Hardcore" being a popular term). bands will come up that way though, but not always into SF proper

Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 PM

1,505 posts, read 2,895,374 times
Probably the most famous and influential band to come out of the area:

Counting Crows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland