Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:27 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No I was just stating how absurd it is to randomly compare it to major world class cities.
As do you, it takes two or more people too argue in case you weren't aware and you're just as guilty as anyone else in this thread of that. So maybe a quick look in the mirror would help you understand that.
You are absolutely right! Where's my mirror?

But I cannot resist one more time I was not comparing WC to world class cities (some of them are not). I was just stating why I do not like walnut creek & explaining why I consider it conservative BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES living abroad and in livelier areas in this country. IT IS ALL JUST MY OPINION & it is not etched in stone. Do you get that now?

At any rate, oh my goodness, I am done.

What was meant to be advice, not for you, but for the OP has morphed into this ridiculous bantering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
Cityboy,

For example with unemployment rate the combine all the stats.
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Crime:
Violent crime climbs in Bay Area - Los Angeles Times
Bay Area crime rates down, homicides up
They also have a comparison with NY & SF crime and lumps Oakland in with SF

Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Cityboy,

For example with unemployment rate the combine all the stats.
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Crime:
Violent crime climbs in Bay Area - Los Angeles Times
Bay Area crime rates down, homicides up
They also have a comparison with NY & SF crime and lumps Oakland in with SF
You're reaching this has nothing to do with anything. That article did not say Oakland murder rate is 350 or SF's murder rate is 350 It said BAY AREAS LARGEST CITIES. Nobody is mistaking Oakland crime with SF crime. Just like nobody is mistaking Altadena's crime with Pasadena. You probably spent an hour trying to find anything. Just give it up, you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
You are absolutely right! Where's my mirror?
Not sure but you better find it quick b/c you still don't seem to get it.
Quote:
But I cannot resist one more time I was not comparing WC to world class cities (some of them are not).
really?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
but I've also lived in cities all over this country and in three countries in Europe & Asia.
Walnut creek definately is not on par with them. And it makes me almost want to laugh out loud to think that it possibly could be.
seems like a comparison to me and a condescending one at that. Do you get THAT now?

Quote:
Do you get that now?
I get that but you don't seem to get that you ARE comparing apples to oranges here, which is absurd.
Quote:
What was meant to be advice, not for you, but for the OP has morphed into this ridiculous bantering.
yep and that's a two way street here.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Cityboy, didn't take an hour searching for this. Don't have to. Anyone can google. I'm not reaching. I have lived in Pasadena not sure if you have. Also, the section of Walnut Creek that borders Concord I would not consider affluent. Nor would I consider the section of Pleasant Hill that borders Walnut Creek to be affluent either. Why does this always have to go too far? Anyways, you have missed my point which was that often times stats of other cities get mixed in. So. Cal has a gang problem but should not have come up with a comparison of WC there is no relavence. WC has crime like any other place but probably a bit less. There is nothing wrong with saying that Pasadena and WC resemble one another. I'm not sure you can even tell me the sections of Pasadena that have high concentrations of crime. Anyways I was just pointing out that most of the crime does indeed happen more in Altadena than Pasadena. If you ask anybody where is Pasadena you will have more people know where that is than Altadena.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM

188 posts, read 920,045 times
As others mentioned Walnut Creek is fine for a 22 year old. It is whiter and more polished than Berkeley, but its still part of the Bay Area and holds that educated liberal aura. Pasadena is larger than Walnut Creek and has a lot more minorities and some less nice/crummy neighborhoods that border Altadena, but overall the town is still very nice, especially its Old Center. Comparing LA's demographics to Contra Costa isn't apt, we're much better at the segregation game up here, almost OC good.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:05 PM

skywalker400, the bay tends to be "liberal" but segregated. Why is this? To the OP I didn't mean to take over your post.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
skywalker400, the bay tends to be "liberal" but segregated. Why is this?
It's segregated more along economic lines not racial.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 AM

ImRandy, really when you think about it there is not a big difference between economic and racial segregation. People with money tend to make areas more expensive to keep certain people out. Not trying to light a match here. But I've often wondered how come the bay has this image of liberalism but when it comes to races and economics things get blurry.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 PM

19 posts, read 54,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstarburst View Post
So I've read a lot about Walnut Creek in these forums and have also frequented the area several times and everything I've seen and read indicates that Walnut Creek is a great place for families to live and kids to grow up.

The thing is. I'm not married. And I don't have kids. And I certainly don't plan on being married and having kids in the near future.

I'm 22 years old, a recent graduate of the University of Southern California and tentatively making plans to relocate to Northern California now that I have my degree in my hands. I'm politically active (self proclaimed, bleeding heart liberal), I'm a photographer by profession, a dancer by hobby, and I'm really not sure if I can live without having access to Korean BBQ.

If I had to choose a place to live in San Francisco, it would be the city proper. But my Boyfriend (27) who works in the Financial District in the city, is set on buying a condo somewhere in the East Bay (he's tired of renting an apartment) and he's been eying Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill.

I'm just wondering if these areas are decent places to live if you're young, unmarried, and without a child in sight.

And if not, are there other places in the Bay Area that are a good compromise between the cleanliness, safety, and comfort of suburbs and the hustle and bustle, non-homogeneous and vibrant vibe of the city?
If you and your bf move to WC area, just avoid anything on Creekside Drive. Yes housing on that street seems more affordable compared to other units in WC but it's considered slum. WC offers a variety of restaurants, movie theaters, shopping and access to the BART system (although you have to pay $1 per day to park, the parking fee may increase soon). If you want a mall, you can drive to Concord to visit Sun Valley or Stoneridge in Pleasanton. It can get pretty warm out in this area during summer so if you are used to having a/c and heat year round, just make sure your apartment or condo has this (I don't have a/c in my place but I manage fine since I live in a tuna can sized apartment).
A few people I know have gotten their items stolen from their vehicles (one a cell phone and another a radio), figure a meth head or dope fiend was looking for some quick cash and broke into cars.
Good luck to you on your search. But like others have suggested, visit the area and the surrounding cities - I hate paying for parking in WC so I tend to not visit it that often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland