Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 36,824 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I plan on coming to San Francisco or Berkeley in Spring for a 2-3 months of stay. I will be attending a language center either inside the Golden Gate University campus or in Berkeley. The reason why I still could not decide depends on the rents and the cost of living, so I want to hear your opinions on whether I should choose San Francisco, Berkeley or another city in a different state.

My monthly budget will be $ 1235. I won't worry about tuition, student fees oır health insurance for they will be automatically paid by a sponsor. I don't smoke and I plan on using public transportation. I am dance instructor and I have lived a social life so far here in my hometown in Turkey. I frequently went out with my friends, drank, went to dance parties and such activities without spending too much and I don't want to live a life in California that will be composed of only going to school and back to home just to survive.

Based on the information I gave above, I have questions for you :
1) Do you think it will be convenient for me to choose San Francisco or Berkeley ? Can I live a life that won't force me to get stuck at home just to survive with a monthly budget of $1235 ? And Do I have a chance to find a place to live as a roommate that will be suitable for my budget considering the deposit I will pay (and considering the fact that I will be staying there for 2-3 months) ?
2) Do I have a chance of using my dancing ability to give dance lessons ? Do they require a certificate to do that ?
3) If you have other recommendations for cities to live, which ones would they be in my case ?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 AM

Still no answers ? I am looking forward to hearing your replies SF and Berkeley residents...

Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,368,972 times
I don't know that's tough...you could rent a room in an apt and have a few room mates for around $600.

Search city of san francisco rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

That leaves you with $600 (say $35 month for your share of utilities). I think it can be done living in San Francisco SINCE you will only be there a few months. I think it will be a much better experience than Berkeley. You're coming all the way from Turkey, so you might as well live in San Francisco. Just manage your grocery/spending wisely. Make a budget. I was attending University of San Francisco last year and I was able to get by with $400/month on food. That would leave you $155 for spending because a monthly muni pass will cost $45. There is also a lot more to see and do that doesn't always cost money in San Francisco. It's also a lot easier to get around without a car in San Francisco. You may find yourself bored in Berkeley, it will be cheaper, but NOT a lot cheaper. Go for San Francisco, you'll enjoy your time here more.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Jonotastic, thanks for your answer. I worry about the deposit I will be paying when I move. As far as I have searched from craiglist, most people want a month's rent as a deposit and if I can't find a place for $300 - $400 I will be in a very difficult situation for the first month. And there seems to be very few opportunities to find such a place to rent as a roommate. This is the main reason that makes me think about surviving in SF. Is it possible that one may not want the deposit if i asked for I will stay for 2-3 months ? Or do you have other suggestions to this case ?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,368,972 times
You're welcome! Each person is different...you'd have to call each one, tell them your situation and see how it goes. I'm sure you will have better luck renting from college students. Type students in the filter search bar.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks again jonotastic, I tried your suggestion but it will be a miracle if I find a room to rent that will be within the limits I described above. I hope I won't starve Any other thoughts or suggestions to my case ?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,610,657 times
I would go for Berkeley. Berkeley is a premier institution and known around the world. You should be fine on that budget. Check Craigslist and the campus

Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 PM

495 posts, read 1,828,300 times
Berkeley...not just saying that because I live here, but because the rents are slightly cheaper. I suggest going on craigslist and looking at 2-3 month sublets in the Spring. UCB students are always traveling abroad to study. I think that will be your best bet. And also you will have a chance to socialize with folks in your age group - not live alone etc. Enjoy your time here.

ps. You can also post an ad on CL stating the dates you're considering subletting. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,783,047 times
Honestly, I don't think you're going to find anything for $300 to $400 a month...unless you find someone who is going to rent something below market rate to you.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 AM

652 posts, read 1,779,493 times
Hi,
1. Ask your sponsor for some help either the deposit, which is fully refundable by law, or a reference/recomendation.
2. Many people in Berkeley rent rooms in their homes, and cater specifically to people like yourself with an eye toward learning from and sharing with young visitors. Not everyone is so nice it can be for mercenary reasons as well, which isn't necessarily bad as long as making the rent is all they want to do. Be careful like you would be anywhere unfamiliar.
3. You can probably sell dance skills anywhere in the bay area, but for what you mention Berkeley is the only place I have enough experience with to say that you probably would be able to find something once there and you have made friends. You might even be able to barter for food or board.
4. Contact other students going to the same class to see how they solved this problem.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland