U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 PM

373 posts, read 1,070,832 times

Advertisements

- I'm tired of having roomates.
- I'm tired of not being able to buy a place without having a ridiculous mortgage for the type of dwelling and amount of space
- I'm tired of knowing the "big one" is around the corner and will likely cause massive destruction
- I'm tired of the city neither being easily drivable nor easily public transportable
- I'm tired of the ****ty public transport in the City and the high expense of BART

Now your turn.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 AM

197 posts, read 884,617 times
I like the hot girls.

Oh, and I like twertles (
YouTube - Zombie Kid Likes Turtles)

Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,857,533 times
You will HATE the public transportation in 99% of cities if you think SF's isn't adequate. I also miss driving in San Francisco. I knew all the side streets that I could just get on and almost get all green all the way to downtown or back. I also miss the street lights, if you come to a yellow light, it's no big deal because it will change within 1 or 2 minutes. Here in Florida, you come to a yellow light and it isn't uncommon to wait up to 5 minutes and NONE of the lights are synhronized. It is the most frusterating thing...a few mile drive can take forever if there is a bit of traffic because you will hit every single red light. You can definetly get more bang for the buck when it comes to rent and ownership though. I'm paying $950/month, I have a large 1 bedroom apt, free parking, huge pool, huge jacuzzi, car washing area, and a dryer/washer in my actual unit. If I were to buy an $800,000 property, it would almost be a mansion down here compared to a 2/2 condo in SF. That's the only true benefit. I miss restaurants that aren't franchised. I miss places to hang out late at night. I miss the mountains. I miss being able to drink and not worry about having to drive home.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
You will HATE the public transportation in 99% of cities if you think SF's isn't adequate.
I also absolutely hated SF's public transportation. I also thought it was completely abysmal. But I went out there after living in New York City.

Compared to 95% of the rest of the cities in the U.S., then S.F. is better...but I also hated the fact it had ****ty public transportation and bad for cars as well.

SF seriously needs to make itself either ONE or the OTHER. But if you make both inadequate for both kinds of people, then it just seriously sucks! It is also overpriced.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM

11,935 posts, read 20,383,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
- I'm tired of having roomates.
- I'm tired of not being able to buy a place without having a ridiculous mortgage for the type of dwelling and amount of space
- I'm tired of knowing the "big one" is around the corner and will likely cause massive destruction
- I'm tired of the city neither being easily drivable nor easily public transportable
- I'm tired of the ****ty public transport in the City and the high expense of BART

Now your turn.
I'm sick of SuperBass. My house interior POUNDS from a stereo one block away that isn't even loud. So now I have to sink money into a home that has fallen 60% in value, just so I can take living here. A teeny tiny home, that's 80 some years old, and in a not very good neighborhood.

I'm also tired of the "big one".

I'm tired of the gang bangers hanging on the sidewalk getting their cars detailed by the idiot up the street who does it out of his home illegally -- also listening to crappy music with SuperBass. And the high whining vacuum he uses. I just want some peace and quiet.

Tagging. I catch one of those morons, he won't have any fingers left to press the paint spray nozzle.

But the question I pose to you -- where do you want to go?

I kow where I'm going.... back to PA.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:22 PM

373 posts, read 1,070,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm sick of SuperBass. My house interior POUNDS from a stereo one block away that isn't even loud. So now I have to sink money into a home that has fallen 60% in value, just so I can take living here. A teeny tiny home, that's 80 some years old, and in a not very good neighborhood.

I'm also tired of the "big one".

I'm tired of the gang bangers hanging on the sidewalk getting their cars detailed by the idiot up the street who does it out of his home illegally -- also listening to crappy music with SuperBass. And the high whining vacuum he uses. I just want some peace and quiet.

Tagging. I catch one of those morons, he won't have any fingers left to press the paint spray nozzle.

But the question I pose to you -- where do you want to go?

I kow where I'm going.... back to PA.
I lived in Oakland and understand your plight. Where do I want to go? Not sure yet. Probably to a mid-sized city on the East Coast. Perhaps Providence. Somewhere with a lower earthquake risk and with a significantly higher income to housing price ratio.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM

3,117 posts, read 6,834,767 times
The bay area is over priced as those of you have pointed out. But at this point it has a very stable employment sector (of course this may be compromised over the next year or two). I moved out of state recently and moved right back as no place has an economy as such of the bay where you can go from a close city like from Oakland to SF or Marin or San Jose to work. You don't have to know everyone one in your city to get a job one just has to be qualified. The bay area has been threw other bubbles but bounced back faster than any other city could if they had the same situation(s) happen.

I don't like the crime elements, drug problems, homeless problems, the lack of families and lack of activities for kids, or the human waste you see on the streets of SF and Oakland. But if I want to make money this is the place to be. The food in the bay area to me could be better and is a bit over rated. But home prices are falling to such a low people can move where ever they want to at this time.If you wait you might get what you want.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
But home prices are falling to such a low people can move where ever they want to at this time.If you wait you might get what you want.
My point exactly... Homes that had sold in the mid 300's are now down at 100k or less...

A retired builder I know has bought several Foreclosed Homes in the East bay... average price 65k and these were home that sold for 300k 3 years ago. He said, I couldn't even buy the lot, let alone pay the permit fees to build one of these home for 65k and now he's buying the entire house AND paying very low property taxes to boot.

High home prices are less of an issue... then any time in the last 25 years...

Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM

7,688 posts, read 25,676,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Hard to avoid anywhere in the Bay Area. Even in my parents' lakeview home in the hills, you get speedboats blasting loud music across the lake from time to time..

Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM

67 posts, read 222,447 times
Please feel free to leave... us new arrivals would love to see some jobs and housing opening up! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland