Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 25,035 times

Advertisements

Here's the story.

I'm 18 and I want to take a gap year before attending university. I'm going to be a junior transfer student if I enroll for the Fall of 2009.
So I'll be 18 and a junior in college.
However, I'm reconsidering my decision to enroll as a junior at 18 and instead enroll when I'm 20. Several of my friends, who were college juniors at 18 as well, have told me that if they could do it all over again, they would take 2 years and work to save for college and travel the world. They also said that since most of their courses were upper-division and their dorm mates were traditional junior transfers (aged 20-21), it was hard to maintain a lot of their friendships because the 21 year olds would go out often, leaving the 18 year olds back in the dorms. Also, since the 18 year old junior tranfers had friendships established with traditional juniors, doing things with other 18-20 year olds (freshmen and sophomores) was difficult to do.

My 18 year old friends who attended Berkeley say it was tough because the majority of San Francisco's nightlife was 21 and up. The thing is, I had San Francisco and Berkeley at the top of my list on places to move to and work before I go to university. Is there great nightlife at all for 18 year olds? Please be honest. It would save me a load of trouble.

I would move to New York City or cities in Europe, but I want to keep my California residency for tuition purposes when I transfer. If anybody can give me any tips on keeping my California residency while working in another city or country, please tell me.

San Francisco/ Berkeley really draws me in because of the public transportation and weather. I've lived in Southern California all my life and I've come to despise driving and smog. I'm sick of people's reckless driving and losing years of my life due to air quality. Los Angeles is not a good option for me.

Thank you for reading. And any replies are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM

13 posts, read 53,448 times
In a word...no. All clubs/bars are 21 and older. There's not a whole lot to do if you're under 21 except go to a frathouse kegger.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisamoon View Post
Here's the story.

I'm 18 and I want to take a gap year before attending university. I'm going to be a junior transfer student if I enroll for the Fall of 2009.
So I'll be 18 and a junior in college.
However, I'm reconsidering my decision to enroll as a junior at 18 and instead enroll when I'm 20. Several of my friends, who were college juniors at 18 as well, have told me that if they could do it all over again, they would take 2 years and work to save for college and travel the world. They also said that since most of their courses were upper-division and their dorm mates were traditional junior transfers (aged 20-21), it was hard to maintain a lot of their friendships because the 21 year olds would go out often, leaving the 18 year olds back in the dorms. Also, since the 18 year old junior tranfers had friendships established with traditional juniors, doing things with other 18-20 year olds (freshmen and sophomores) was difficult to do.

My 18 year old friends who attended Berkeley say it was tough because the majority of San Francisco's nightlife was 21 and up. The thing is, I had San Francisco and Berkeley at the top of my list on places to move to and work before I go to university. Is there great nightlife at all for 18 year olds? Please be honest. It would save me a load of trouble.

I would move to New York City or cities in Europe, but I want to keep my California residency for tuition purposes when I transfer. If anybody can give me any tips on keeping my California residency while working in another city or country, please tell me.

San Francisco/ Berkeley really draws me in because of the public transportation and weather. I've lived in Southern California all my life and I've come to despise driving and smog. I'm sick of people's reckless driving and losing years of my life due to air quality. Los Angeles is not a good option for me.

Thank you for reading. And any replies are greatly appreciated.
Because of drinking laws most night life establishments are limited to 21 and over, this doesn't matter if you choose Berkeley or someplace else..By the way, what is it about the weather that is attracting you to the bay area, just curious? As for traffic, same question, do you thinky San Francisco will not have massive traffic problems? It is awful!!!

Now, as for working in another state, that is easy, just keep your residency in Calif. That should not be a problem, I don't think..

Nita

Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,365,059 times
There are quite a few house parties on and around campus...at least there were at the University of San Francisco. Also, I'd say about 75% of students under 21 have fake ids...which are easy to get and almost every club accepts them especially if you are a girl. I never had a problem with mine.

If you want to party off campus, but don't want to get a fake, there are option, just mostly on Thursday. The other 18+ clubs the crowds are a bit ghetto, but if you're with friends, you'll still have fun.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 AM

188 posts, read 917,179 times
Berkeley is more of a house party town, though there are bars around. Blakes on Telegraph is 18+ most nights Im pretty sure, its the only place with a real dancefloor that comes to mind too. If your looking to go clubbing every night and that type of scene you're better off in Europe. Partying in Berkeley is more about chillin with ur buds and gettin hella stoned.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,459,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
There are quite a few house parties on and around campus...at least there were at the University of San Francisco. Also, I'd say about 75% of students under 21 have fake ids...which are easy to get and almost every club accepts them especially if you are a girl. I never had a problem with mine!
If the bars in the Haight enforced the 21 age limit, they'd lose all their customers....particularly the Toronado.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland