Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrieh View Post
Yeah, if you see the hypocrites for what they are it's because you are shallow. Riiigghhttt. You sound exactly like what I'm referring to. Good for you.

I don't work in construction, nor do I know a single Republican.
????????????????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM

27 posts, read 99,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
????????????????????????????
Maybe I misunderstood you. It sounded like you were saying if you don't get the people here it's because you are superficial.

Let me go read your post again then...

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Let me completely rephrase this;
The surprising thing to me is the conservativeness of mind. "Liberal" or "Conservative" there seems to be no ability to think. Almost every person has a set of "beliefs" that are imposed on the world, rather than a way of thinking that interprets the world.
I found it hard to find people that could argue. In fact most people found argueing about their beliefs to be anathema. As if what they believed was so apparent it didn't need explanation or defense. That is anathema to me. It also makes me wonder what they did, mentally, to convince themselves to arrive at and accept the belief. I find this habit pervasive and very scary.

For an example see the post below
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh I did completely misunderstand what you said. Are you saying the label doesn't matter because it's a state of mind, whether "liberal" or "conservative?"

Flip side of the same coin?

If that's what you are saying, I completely agree. But please do correct me if I'm again misconstruing your words.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM

166 posts, read 490,023 times
That Rice-A-Roni is a local dietary staple. Tofu on the other hand....

Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe stixpuck View Post
That Rice-A-Roni is a local dietary staple. Tofu on the other hand....
Hahahahaha I forgot about the San Francisco treat!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:17 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Well, San Francisco has become a mecca for young, transient, unmarried, urban, professionals, hipsters. Everyone that has moved into the City in recent years is between the ages of 20-30, has a dog, hates the thought of aging, getting married, or having kids, ever shopping at a chain store (except Whole Foods) and is very vocal/opinionated/judgmental about any ideas that aren't exactly like their own. It's a become a city of hypocrites and self righteous snobs.
To some degree, same thing happening in Austin.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Could you and some others elaborate on this? How does intolerance play itself out in San Francisco?
I have only lived here a short time, but in December I believe it was, a lesbian who had a gay pride sticker on her car, was raped just across the Bay (does this count) by four men who apparently just couldn't stand that she was open about her sexuality. Personally, even I couldn't believe that something like that was possible in an area I thought was so tolerant. I would assume there are similar feelings in San Francisco proper as well if they are also just across the Bay.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_153014.html

Old 02-28-2009, 02:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I have only lived here a short time, but in December I believe it was, a lesbian who had a gay pride sticker on her car, was raped just across the Bay (does this count) by four men who apparently just couldn't stand that she was open about her sexuality. Personally, even I couldn't believe that something like that was possible in an area I thought was so tolerant. I would assume there are similar feelings in San Francisco proper as well if they are also just across the Bay.

Lesbian's Gang Rape Shocks San Francisco Community
This is an isolated incident.

Why do people take horrifying singular events and act like its the norm?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:38 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is an isolated incident.

Why do people take horrifying singular events and act like its the norm?

Whoa with the overreaction. It sounds like you're a wee bit on the defensive.

Who said it was a norm? I certainly didn't. I used it as an example for the idea that not everyone in what is deemed America's most liberal city for 'alternative lifestyles' is tolerant of it. I have a lesbian friend who lives in the city who's heard more than a few slurs; and just because I mention this by the way, doesn't mean that I am also saying it is the norm in San Francisco that a homosexual will hear slurs.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I doubt there are any misconceptions about the huge number of gays in San Francisco.

San Francisco was constantly on the news every night when the AIDS epedemic was spreading through San Francisco like a SO California wildfire pushed by the Santa Anna winds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland