Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post

Who said it was a norm? I certainly didn't. I used it as an example for the idea that not everyone in what is deemed America's most liberal city for 'alternative lifestyles' is tolerant of it.
Was it even necessary for you to wonder whether or not 100% of the 7.5 Million people who live in the Bay Area is an extreme leftist? I mean, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 02:56 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Was it even necessary for you to wonder whether or not 100% of the 7.5 Million people who live in the Bay Area is an extreme leftist? I mean, really.
Moderator cut: Personal attacks Did you miss the entire thread? We're simply speaking of misconceptions that others seem to have. You realize you're only agreeing with me, right? We're agreeing with each other except for the fact that you began discourse hastily and are obviously too prideful to stop with the banter because you misunderstood the whole point of the OP's thread, and subsequently, my post.

I'm also wondering how you think I WAS wondering whether or not 100% of the Bay Area is not an extreme leftist. Wherein my thoughts did you retrieve this notion? Would you like to make a post and place this as one of the misconceptions people have about SF? Because then you'd actually be participating in the OP's original thread! Hooray!

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-02-2009 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Is this guy serious?

Old 02-28-2009, 03:08 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned Did you miss the entire thread?
Honey, your arguing with yourself. Calm Down. Its not that serious.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-02-2009 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 03:36 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Here's some possible misconceptions I have about San Francisco
1. Hate the US military and consider them to be murderers and baby killers.
I don't think all San Francisco think this way but I feel many do

2. Support Communist governments over our own nation's government.
Why else would anti-war protest include Communist organizations?

3. Smug-see Southpark Smug episode

4. tolerant only of liberal ideas (drugs, sex, politics) and intolerant of all others.

5. Oppose christian and catholic religions
again, not all of san francisco but definitely the majority of the gay community

6. And lastly, all cops in San Francisco either have bulbus noses like Karl Malden or long flowing locks like Michael Douglas

Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Here's a misconception..that San Franciscans are actually FROM San Francisco! Most of its inhabitants have moved in from elsewhere...and will eventually move out, only to be replaced my more out of towners. A rarity now days is to actually meet someone born and raised in the City, still living in the City.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 AM

24 posts, read 92,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Here's a misconception..that San Franciscans are actually FROM San Francisco! Most of its inhabitants have moved in from elsewhere...and will eventually move out, only to be replaced my more out of towners. A rarity now days is to actually meet someone born and raised in the City, still living in the City.

So would you say that if I take the job that was offered to me in San Francisco next month I will be look down upon by locals.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:05 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffb View Post
So would you say that if I take the job that was offered to me in San Francisco next month I will be look down upon by locals.
No, absolutely not! There are aren't any more "locals" around..like my post states. You'll be fine and fit right in!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Many of the people who live in SF do not care about the poor nor do they want them around. If you could take an anonymous vote I bet the majority would want to demolish the fillmore, HP etc and build 800k condo's all on the land. There seems to be this weird vibe about the city that keeps it in this bubble that nothing bad happens there. I wonder how many people would move out if an influx of Blacks moved back into the city.
Well, if you bulldozed Hunter's Point I'd be homeless - so this San Franciscan certainly wouldn't support that! But yes, we do have a lot of "NIMBYs" in this city, although I wouldn't say the majority are like that.

To answer the original question, I think you've all covered it... people think everyone in SF is gay, vegan/vegetarian, hippies, anti-military, anti-religion, and so forth. As somebody else also mentioned, some people confuse us with Los Angeles, and think it's warm & sunny with movie stars everywhere. Yuk.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM

7 posts, read 18,416 times
Of course there are misconceptions about the number of gays. I grew up on the East Coast, and while most of my friends are relatively liberal, not prone to drastic stereotypes, etc. I still get questions about whether or not there are gays everywhere or if half the bars are gay bars, etc.

There are false stereotypes about San Francisco (already covered...full of bleeding heart liberals, flower children, etc.) And while this obviously isn't accurate of everyone in the entire city, most of these things are based at least partially on fact. It's like stereotyping Salt Lake City by saying everyone there is Mormon. Of course that's not true, but are there a lot of Mormons there compared to elsewhere? Sure. Similarly, there are more extreme liberals, gays, etc. in San Francisco than most other places.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
How tolerant the city's inhabitants are is the biggest myth.
It didn't used to be a myth. Unfortunately, things change. I remember everyone was focused on community and there was a lot of love in this City up until the mid 90's. You could talk to anyone and I mean anyone and people looked you in the eye on the street, smiled and said "hello". People cared. It's just not the same...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland