Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 PM

18 posts, read 50,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Also, Ocean View, Inner Mission projects, Sunnydale (even with the towers gone it's still a hood), East DC, Shoreview, EPA, East Oakland, West Oakland, Iron Triangle.
I was actually just referring to the rappers from SF that I know about, since the original poster was talking about that, so I didn't mention those areas, in or outside SF. Actually my friend grew up in Valencia Gardens (Inner Mission projects) and said the first SF rappers he heard were from there, but I never heard of them. He's got a few years on me though. Oceanview is basically the same as Lakeview, which is funny because I don't see any ocean or lake while driving down Randolph Ave and other parts of LV. I heard one rap group from Sunnydale, but most of them I know of are from HP, Fillmore, and Lakeview.

I remember my friend a few years ago asking me "hey are you going to go to the Too Short, E-40, Juvenile concert at the Cow Palace?" I said, "are you ******* nuts"?

Of course there was a violent riot there, with apparently a bunch of people from the Sunnydale projects getting into fights with people outside of SF.

People from Sunnydale and Lakeview also ruined the Castro Halloween party by shooting up the place. I didn't know gang members liked to party with a lot of gays. Maybe some Omar Little homo-thugs in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,063 times
Being born and raised in the city, I would say one of the biggest misconceptions about San Francisco is that city itself proves that Asians are NOT the model minority like white American society has labeled them. In San Francisco and many other cities in California, crime, poverty, unemployment, drug trafficking and gang violence plague the Asian American community disproportionately. Because of segregation in San Francisco, alot of non-Asians don't see alot of these problems with their own eyes. In an American city with a high crime rate where Asians collectively represent the largest racial group, its only natural these problems would exist in the Asian community. Nationwide, Asians represent a much smaller percentage of the population at about 4%, so these social problems affecting Asians are less acute in other areas of the country outside of California and New York. Not much attention is called to these problems because it conflicts with the stereotypical image of Asians portrayed in the racist American media and society as a whole. To put it in lamen terms, Asians have it ****ed up just like Blacks and Latinos, but the oppression of Asians is invisible to the rest of America. The only reason Asians aren't lumped with Blacks and Latinos by the media is because Asians represent an exploitable wedge as the mythical model minority stereotype in maintaining racial animosity between oppressed minorities who historically have been allies, especially in California. People who live outside of California, New York, Chicago or even Philadelphia have a much more parochial view of all Asians as being liquor store owners and inoffensive autistic overachieving nerds. These people would **** themselves if they had seen alot of the ugly things I saw in the Asian American community growing up in San Francisco.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:16 PM

72 posts, read 262,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Well, San Francisco has become a mecca for young, transient, unmarried, urban, professionals, hipsters. Everyone that has moved into the City in recent years is between the ages of 20-30, has a dog, hates the thought of aging, getting married, or having kids, ever shopping at a chain store (except Whole Foods) and is very vocal/opinionated/judgmental about any ideas that aren't exactly like their own. It's a become a city of hypocrites and self righteous snobs.
Sounds like me! Incoming!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 AM

313 posts, read 676,562 times
Biggest misconception of San Francisco is that this is America it's not this place is a damn circus!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Biggest misconception of San Francisco is that this is America it's not this place is a damn circus!

I've got to disagree. I see San Fancisco as a uniquely American city with a little bit of everything America has to offer. That includes the bad.

I honestly don't like SF. That's why I live over here in the East Bay. I lived in SF for a year and that was enough. It's a nice place to visit but it's not in my top ten places I'd want to live. SF has a lot of uniquely American features that I'd just as soon not have to step over on a daily basis.

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 07-31-2009 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: because I can't spell

Old 08-01-2009, 03:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
People from Sunnydale and Lakeview also ruined the Castro Halloween party by shooting up the place. I didn't know gang members liked to party with a lot of gays. Maybe some Omar Little homo-thugs in there.
Dude that party in the Castro used to be like 90% straight. Its in their neighborhood, but many residents were bothered by all the 200,000+ straight people that were coming from all over trashing the place. That incident you mentioned is what finally shut it down. Its definitely not a gay party tho.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E14 View Post
that sunnydale - towerside war has really chilled out
alot of the **** you mentioned is not in the city
what is east DC?
The area of Daly City that borders Sunnydale. Where the Cow Palace is located.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,399 times
Super Gay, Hippie, Psycho Liberal, Tolerance basically what everyone else said

Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
The area of Daly City that borders Sunnydale. Where the Cow Palace is located.
Also the area where Mission comes into Daly City @ John Daly could be considered East DC

Old 08-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
Also the area where Mission comes into Daly City @ John Daly could be considered East DC
Actually you're absolutely correct and I should have gone on to mention that considering I used to live there lol. The whole Crocker/Templeton/Hillside/Top of the Hill neighborhoods as well as anything else east of 280 is East Daly City. South Hills is the only part that is geographically there but not often referred to as East DC. I only answered in terms of what I thought the other poster was referring to. But thank you for pointing out that I had left out most of ESDC lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland