U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2009, 12:56 PM

83 posts, read 152,932 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am thinking of buying a car for next to nothing here to drive around until all of my things get shipped here from Virginia. I need just a beater to get around in. My question is how will it work when I am insured in VA and have my current SUV housed there and then I buy a vehicle here. Will I need a separate ins policy? Can they register it in VA so I can insure it there? How do out of state purchases like this work?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:16 PM

456 posts, read 1,118,475 times
Call DMV to be sure, but generally California is quite strict about this--you need to have your license within ten days and your vehicle registered within twenty days of taking a job or signing a lease. You can explain that your other vehicle is not yet here, and I assume they have some way of dealing with that. I would *not* mess with trying to register the new car in VA and then transfer it here, since you might trigger some of the out-of-state vehicle protections (not all vehicles are CA-certified, and whether you're allowed to bring out-of-state cars in and register them here is subject to a number of rules). If the car you buy is already registered here, it's much easier to transfer the registration and insurance in-state. I'd just explain to your insurance company that you've moved but your vehicle hasn't yet arrived; again, I'm sure they deal with situations like that regularly.

Edit: I just saw your other post. If you don't yet have a job or an apartment, you're not officially a resident yet. I wouldn't bother trying to buy a car in that scenario; it's going to be a sea of red tape to explain it all to DMV and get them to okay it. Try negotiating long-term rentals with car companies, or---cheaper!---get to know some of the Bay Area transit systems and try to find temporary housing near transit. You can also try getting a bike for not too much, if you're the biking type. Rent a car for the days when you have to head to a specific place for an interview or other activity that's not on transit. Once you find an apartment, then you can get the car too if you still need it at that point.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:39 PM

artemis, Thanks for the reply. I figured it would be a ton of red tape. I am very interested in a temp place close to public transit. I'm just having trouble finding one that doesn't have a bunch of red tape of its own! I would only want to stay there 2-3 months max and most I find near the city want a big deposit, signed lease and credit check. I don't feel like all the hassle. I just want a place month-to-month with 2-3 months in mind. Maybe someone will see this post and have a suggestion. I hope to start a job within the next 2 weeks here, that's the projected timeline from the employer anyway. I want to use those couple of months in a month-to-month to find appropriate housing for me and my dogs. I am definitely the biking/walking type, as I am very active. I just need somewhere close enough for all of this. I would love not to deal with a car if possible. I have rental car now, due back on Monday although I can extend it. I have been grinding out emails for temp housing though because that is most important to me right now.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM

14,203 posts, read 26,377,457 times
Signing a lease and having a car in CA don't necessarily establish CA residency...

Quite a few people have winter homes in Palm Springs along with a car...

Residency is the question.

If you buy a car in CA and plan on leaving, the Dealer with issue you a temporary registration...

If you buy a car with the intent on staying, the Dealer will also take care of the DMV... do you have anyone that you can use a temporary address?

Also, a lot of out of state people run into registration problems when the car they buy doesn't pass Smog... In CA it is the seller's responsibility to provide a current CA smog certificate at sale for cars not exempt... i.e, generally cars from the mid 70's and older.

Welcome to CA

Old 03-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Steph, you might try housing in university areas (Berkeley, Palo Alto, areas in SF near SFSU or UCSF, etc.) Any landlord with an open unit in a student area right now is likely to be very open to a two-to-three-month lease that would have the unit back on the market June 1 or after, since they get higher rents then that they do this time of year. It's worth asking if you see listings that seem to be near colleges. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 AM

87 posts, read 162,034 times
[quote=artemis78;7986811]Call DMV to be sure, but generally California is quiyour other post. If you don't yet have a job or an apartment, you're not officially a resident yet. I wouldn't bother trying to buy a car in that scenario; it's going to be a sea of red tape to explain it all to DMV and get them to okay it. Try negotiating long-term rentals with car companies, or---chea

It isn't the JOB that does it, it is the APARTMENT, or place to LIVE, in most states. They need to see an address for all this. If you are looking for work out of state, take it from a 20 yr veteran: Most companies want to see a LOCAL address before they will even hire you. I wish it was like the good old days when you could just be a journeyman from town to town. Jobs come and go.
What's 'the biking type'?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 AM

miss x3, biking type means ACTIVE enough to get out and walk and bike where I need to go.

I found a temp rental where I will not need a car immediately. I will probably buy a beater once I get moved into my permanent housing. Hopefully my parents can sell my SUV in Virgina so I can be done with that.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 PM

It may be that in most states it's just the address, but in California for the purposes of transferring your license and registration, legally it is a job *or* an address. I agree that it's much easier to find a job if you have a local address (my own company doesn't even follow up on out-of-state applications). However, legally you are obligated to transfer your license within ten days of signing a lease *or* accepting a job here.

And yes, Steph hit the "biking type" answer on the nose. Not everyone is able or interested in biking as part of a commute, but it can sometimes open up more options commute-wise if you can.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM

14,203 posts, read 26,377,457 times
From the CA DMV...

Prima facie evidence of residency for driver’s licensing purposes includes, but is not limited to, the following:

(A) Address where registered to vote.

(B) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.

(C) Filing a homeowner’s property tax exemption.

(D) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland