Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 PM

186 posts, read 475,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you wont see demonstrations in the street when this happens in oakland. if they were gangbangers dead shot by cops then you got demonstrations. when that reverses it will get better.
if people want to demonstrate they will...
but maybe I missed it, but I don't see people protesting against the death of a 'gangbanger.'
I have seen people protest against cops killing individuals when they should not have.

But what would a protest do in this case??? Who will they be protesting against???

Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I don't know, but then I wasn't referring to CA law enforcement either
I live in Oakland and drive past the intersection where the traffic stop occurred and used to Bank at American Savings on the corner before the branch closed.

I mentioned CA law enforcement because the incident happened here...

Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims here as well as to the grieving family of the suspect. These four men put their lives on the line for us daily for what was likely abysmal compensation, and now they paid the ultimate price. Given their ages of late-30s-early-40s, I'm assuming most (if not all) had wives/children as well that were left behind. As far as the late suspect is concerned, let us keep his family in our prayers as well. It is just as likely that they had no idea he was undergoing mental duress that led him to commit these heinous acts either, and, to them they just lost their son/brother/uncle out of the blue.

What would REALLY impress me is if you Californians would grow a set unlike the folks here in Pennsylvania who just remain silent while police officers in Philadelphia are HABITUALLY gunned down. I don't understand why people smash store windows and flip cars over when a black male youth is gunned down because he pulls a WATER GUN on a cop, and the cop acts instinctively in self defense, and yet when these cops are gunned down NOBODY CARES. Why?!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 AM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Please everyone, let's stick to the topic and not attack each other.

That being said, my thoughts are with the officer's families... what a horrible tragedy.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
And you seem like you would be first to dismiss them. Come back and talk to me after you've had a .45 to your face at the hands of the law and tell me how real your grievance is.
I've had THREE cops hold me at gunpoint, in my own home nonetheless, and all for a false claim that I was growing pot (I smoke plenty but have never grown anything - can't even keep a houseplant alive! ). And even after that horrifying experience, I still support the law enforcement and respect what they do... I would never make a comment like yours, and feel horrible for what happened to these officers.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:26 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims here as well as to the grieving family of the suspect. These four men put their lives on the line for us daily for what was likely abysmal compensation, and now they paid the ultimate price. Given their ages of late-30s-early-40s, I'm assuming most (if not all) had wives/children as well that were left behind. As far as the late suspect is concerned, let us keep his family in our prayers as well. It is just as likely that they had no idea he was undergoing mental duress that led him to commit these heinous acts either, and, to them they just lost their son/brother/uncle out of the blue.

What would REALLY impress me is if you Californians would grow a set unlike the folks here in Pennsylvania who just remain silent while police officers in Philadelphia are HABITUALLY gunned down. I don't understand why people smash store windows and flip cars over when a black male youth is gunned down because he pulls a WATER GUN on a cop, and the cop acts instinctively in self defense, and yet when these cops are gunned down NOBODY CARES. Why?!
Who needs a water gun when you can get blown away in the privacy of your own driveway (http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou090217_mp_robbie-tolan-interview.27c3fa07.html - broken link), or
while handcuffed at a BART station, or maybe at a Chicago EL station while holding a jacket. Wait screw that, who needs a water gun when you can just use a wallet.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:37 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I've had THREE cops hold me at gunpoint, in my own home nonetheless, and all for a false claim that I was growing pot (I smoke plenty but have never grown anything - can't even keep a houseplant alive! ). And even after that horrifying experience, I still support the law enforcement and respect what they do... I would never make a comment like yours, and feel horrible for what happened to these officers.
Well good thing you lived to tell about it (especially if you're a black male). I would never intentionally disrespect a cop, but I'm not inclined to respect them either. With what I've been through and seen, it's really hard to buy into the notion that they're looking out for ME. Sure, maybe the woman down the street, or the elderly man around the corner. But not for me. Never.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Well good thing you lived to tell about it (especially if you're a black male). I would never intentionally disrespect a cop, but I'm not inclined to respect them either. With what I've been through and seen, it's really hard to buy into the notion that they're looking out for ME. Sure, maybe the woman down the street, or the elderly man around the corner. But not for me. Never.
I'm actually a white woman, so they can mistreat ANYONE... but that's not enough for me to wish them dead, or to dismiss all law enforcement as evil. Some are crooked and/or biased against non-whites, but I'd like to think most have good intentions. Regardless, these men in Oakland did not deserve to die, and their families didn't deserve to lose them.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
These men had a tough job. May they Rest in Peace. My condolences to their families.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
mrsykes, any relation to wanda sykes?

Just be glad you don't have members of the New Orleans PD patrolling your streets. Here's one example of many of the fine work the NOPD does for the city of New Orleans.
WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |New Orleans police officer arrested after string of home invasions
There have been other officers who worked as enforcers for drug dealers, dealt drugs, and in one particularly bad case a female officer robbed a store, killed the police officer working security at the store, killed the husband and wife who owned the store, left, and then returned to answer the 911 call put in by the owner's children who saw her kill their parents through the window of the cooler doors. The officer was her partner. My white cousin had guns drawn on him by the police. He fit the discription of an armed robber. He didn't fight, he didn't argue, and he obeyed their every command. He wasn't beaten or shot. Because he cooperated, once he was in handcuffs they checked him for a weapon, explained why he was under arrest, and questioned him on where he was at the time of the robbery. Once they verified his story they released him with no further trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland