Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 9,532 times

Advertisements

In 5 months, I am driving to California to attend the Culinary school in San Fran. I have found a few places to live that look nice (one that really caught my eye was Bella Vista in Richmond because it is close to San Fran, within my very small price range [$1000] and furnished).

How is that part of Richmond as far as crime, things to do, stores, jobs?

I'm from a VERY small town (have to drive about a half hour for ANYTHING meaningful) so I guess it won't take much. I like the movies, restaurants, shopping and parks. And I like safety. I'm a little nervous about moving out there with no clue of the neighborhood; yet I can't afford a visit, which is why I'm turning to the locals. Please help! Thank you!

Also, if anyone knows of any social services/mental health agencies out there. I'm going to school for baking but my current specialty is in the social work field so I'll most likely be getting a job in that area to start with.

Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:03 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
That's not a good neighborhood by any stretch... Hilltop Mall has a checkered history and seems to be getting worse by the year. $1000 is almost nothing in the Bay Area, and if a major complex is offering rates like that it's because they're desperate. You'd be better served getting into a roommate situation in San Francisco, rather than live in a depressing, downtrodden place near a dying mall.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:56 PM

289 posts, read 1,271,289 times
Hey, we're in the same boat! I'm moving to the same area from Massachusetts as well! My job is moving to Richmond in June.

From what I understand, Richmond Hills is a fairly safe part of Richmond, and rents are still low. Also try looking in neighboring El Sobrante and El Cerrito for low rents and areas that are at least safer than most of Richmond. The locals would obviously be better at providing details on these places than me.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,531 times
Richmond Annex, Pt Richmond...are okay, but El Cerrito, Hercules,Albany
would probably be better choices...

Hilltop Mall area, has gone down over the years....not good for a Single Person.....

Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
I'd go with El Cerrito, Hercules, Albany as suggested by naomisday. If you want a good experience right off the bat stay out of Richmond.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,930 times
El sobrante, cheap, safe. A little blue collered suburb. Live and let live place. Come live with us. Its okay.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,069 times
Marina Bay is nice too, but if you move to Richmond make sure you stay out of much of it. It can be a crazy place, and even though Oakland is statistically ranked more dangerous than Richmond (I believe last year Oakland was ranked 5th most dangerous city in the US, while Richmond was 9th), the bad areas of Richmond are on another level than the bad areas of Oakland. Way worse IMO. There will be lulls without much crime, and then all of a sudden there'll be like 6 shootings in 2 hours or 8 homicides over the weekend. Freeway shootings seem to happen there every few months too. Just random road rage incidents where someone loses their life. So you don't have to be terrified or anything, but just be aware.

The area around Hilltop Mall is okay, but I'd look into other cities in that area if I were you, like Albany or Hercules. At least for the safety factor.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I work in that area, and Hilltop Mall seems okay... but the other towns suggested are better, and Richmond's good parts are Pt. Richmond and Marina Bay. I spend lots of time in downtown Richmond and never feel unsafe, but I'm a city girl with plenty of "hood" experience. For a newbie from a small town, I would suggest looking into the suburban areas mentioned. Even better, I would recommend getting a roommate or two and living in the city. I'm assuming you are young - and possibly single? - so it's possible the East Bay suburbs would bore you senseless. Actually, the Richmond DISTRICT (or Sunset) of San Francisco would be a great compromise between the two! It has a more suburban feel, low crime, and would be convenient enough to your school.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 PM

242 posts, read 788,852 times
Plus those apartments will go up on your rent every year. My sister in law lived there for 3 years and they increased her rent by $50 bucks every year. I suggest some of the other towns noted above but $1000 is not going to get you far in a good neighborhood. Good luck

Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM

82 posts, read 238,076 times
I just moved here last year from a small town in New Hampshire. Drove across country on the I-80. It was quite a trip! I have not ventured to Richmond so I cannot offer any advice on living there. I have heard that Albany and the other suggested towns are nice. Are you planning to BART into the city for school? If so, maybe consider Walnut Creek as well. It's a really nice little city with plenty to do, and it's safe. Looking on Craigslist there are some one bedroom rentals under $1000, not furnished though. If you don't mind being a bit farther from SF it may be a good option. BART is a straight shot into the city (no changing trains) and would probably be a 30-35 minute commute each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland