Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,246 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering me taking a job offer in the Contra Costa County area, but we're only considering it if he can get a good job, and we can find a decent area to live (Walnut Creek is probably a little high). We're renting, not planning to buy. My question is if he were to take a job in Mountain View, is it possible for us to live between the two and commute opposite ways without getting over our head in gas prices and traffic woes? Are these two suburbs too far apart to even consider? He's not locked into a job, my job would be the initial reason to go, so if not the job in Moutain View, he'd have to look further north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 27,189 times
Those two cities are far apart and the traffic is bad through San Jose and all down the 680. We live in Pleasanton which is similarly priced to Walnut Creek, we have also lived in WC and loved it there. There are decent Freemont areas which I would look into also.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:18 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
DONT DO IT. You will spend 3 or more hours a day in Traffic. My friend commutes to San Jose from the Livermore area, and it takes him at least 1 1/2 hours each way.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 AM

132 posts, read 444,887 times
Default commute

We live in San Ramon which is a little south of Walnut Creek. My neighbor works in Mountain View and it will take him 1 hour without traffic. On Fridays it would probably take at least 1 1/2 hr. They really need to extend BART to the South Bay but they never will because of the cost. Is there any way you could get jobs closer to each other?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:31 PM

33 posts, read 160,411 times
oopsoopsoops!

Last edited by bitchen; 03-31-2007 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: wrong thread! Sorry!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,246 times
Well, we're not sure about any of it at the moment, but the only reason we're considering it is a job that may be wide open for me to take. If we want to take it, we HAVE to have a good job opportunity for him, b/c he has a great one here and we don't want to jeapardize our financial plans and his job security. Mountain View just has his first pick in his field. We haven't looked hard elsewhere yet. Just looking at options. If anyone knows of good jobs in the IT world, in the East Bay area, we're all ears!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 50,525 times
Mountain View is far from Walnut Creek, but keep in mind that Walnut Creek has BART. So, potentially, you can live in an area like Fremont, which also has BART, and is also closer to Mountain View. Your husband will still get stuck in traffic on most days, but it won't be so bad because the distance is less, and you can commute on BART, save yourself the stress of driving. And yes, there are no shortage of IT jobs in the bay area. Yes, there happens to be more in Mountain View/Sunnyvale, but Fremont in the east bay, and San Francisco has many as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland