Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 11:25 PM

15 posts, read 82,559 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be relocating to the Bay Area from Utah. We have two children and would like to find a place that is family friendly. The areas we are looking at are South San Francisco, Alameda, Belmont, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, and Concord. Does anyone have info on these cities. We aren't really ones to go out and party. We like it kind of boring, just good places to eat, and parks for the kids to place. Our boys are not in school yet, but will be starting in a few years. Our plan is to only be there for 5-7 years and then move back to Utah. We are planning around $2000 for rent for a 3 bedroom house or condo. I have found a lot on craigslist. We are visiting these areas in May. Also, is there like relocating agents that help you find a place to live like real estate agents, but for renters? If so how much do they cost? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,679,352 times
Yes, there are relocating agents for renters. I've never used one, but based on some initial conversations the ones in this area (or at least in the city of San Francisco; assuming it's the same for other parts of the Bay Area, although that might not be right) seem to typically charge one month's rent. We ended up doing it alone; the process took a lot longer than we had expected and was a big hassle. I wish we had gone with an agent, although in the end everything worked out fine.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,697,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsfloat View Post
My husband and I are going to be relocating to the Bay Area from Utah. We have two children and would like to find a place that is family friendly. The areas we are looking at are South San Francisco, Alameda, Belmont, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, and Concord. Does anyone have info on these cities. We aren't really ones to go out and party. We like it kind of boring, just good places to eat, and parks for the kids to place. Our boys are not in school yet, but will be starting in a few years. Our plan is to only be there for 5-7 years and then move back to Utah. We are planning around $2000 for rent for a 3 bedroom house or condo. I have found a lot on craigslist. We are visiting these areas in May. Also, is there like relocating agents that help you find a place to live like real estate agents, but for renters? If so how much do they cost? Thanks so much!
You didn't say where your job(s) will be. You don't want a long commute. Otherwise, I say check out San Carlos on the mid peninsula .

Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,051,105 times
I wouldn't use agents to help me find a rental. Craigslist is one of your best resources you have in the bay area. Please keep in mind that the places you are looking at now will most likely be gone by the time you want to see them in May. So a week before you get here is when you should pull your listings. $2K should get you a pretty decent place to live in. I'd cross Concord off the list. Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill would be my suggestions. If you are into the beach thing, then Alameda is going to be a better option (just no train system). I'm not sure where your jobs will be as others can provide more detailed information if you provide that info.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 PM

655 posts, read 1,979,861 times
If you're working in San Francisco, Alameda does have both a ferry and a very reliable express bus service, though, so I wouldn't rule it out based on the lack of BART (though obviously that's a nice plus to places like Walnut Creek). Alameda has great schools, and the Park & Rec department offers a very affordable preschool which is a nice plus.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 PM

My husband is going to be working for San Francisco General Hospital. He is going to apply for other hospitals as well. Concord has a lot of places for rent. What is wrong with it? We were also thinking Half Moon Bay. It would be fun to live by the ocean since we have lived in the desert of Utah for so long. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 PM

I know that San Francisco itself is not a great place for two little boys. I visited there last summer. My husband has never been. That is why I wanted to go on a trip there so he can make sure that he really wants us to move there. I have heard great things about Pleasant Hill and Pacifica. I don't mind fog and I don't mind heat. I would like to find a place that has a good community that has activities for kids and stuff. I know San Francisco itself doesn't fit that mold. Hopefully other cities do. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 AM

What about the Pittsburg area? It looks pretty nice.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM

655 posts, read 1,979,861 times
Pittsburg is a very long commute to SF General (at least an hour, and much much longer with rush hour traffic)---as is Pleasant Hill, since both require crossing both the Bay Bridge and the Caldecott Tunnel, major traffic points. (SF General is sadly not BART-accessible.) Pacifica is a better commute, and Half Moon Bay would be okay but not great. I'd think about how long a commute you're willing to have and then limit yourself accordingly.

Broadly, I'd go with either something on the Peninsula (Pacifica, Burlingame, Belmont, etc.) or with Alameda; the Peninsula is a better commute by and large. You can check out the schools on GreatSchools.net to get a sense of how they compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland