Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
With regards to finding a job at a restaurant or cafe, I posted this link on another related thread to give some perspective on the difficulty of getting a job in that industry. A restaurant recently advertised a part-time server position and asked people to show up between 1 and 3pm - 327 people showed up.

Eater SF: Times Like These

Beyond just landing a job, what types of positions would be a good fit for your background and skills? What types of jobs have you held in the past?
I agree. It is simply just not a wise move to come out here right now with no back up plan and friends or family to rely on irregardless of your employment history and skill set in ANY industry. The restaurant biz is hurting because people are not eating out as much #1. #2 you've got district managers down to dishwashers out of work. I know because I'm still tapped into the retail/restaurant employment pulse as a former recruiter. It is not looking good.

I'm a stubborn person too and exitingtheeast has already made up his or her mind. It is done I think. Sincerely hope it turns out well and maybe you're a super manifester exiting. You'll find the job, find the dream apartment that no one else could land and tell us all to go take a hike. You can then write a book and make millions. I will be the first to take note and buy it. I won't lie about that ~ I am not too proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
But what is so different about the California mess as opposed to other areas of the country

I think you're right. I don't think it really matters and it's futile to try to explain why one area is more depressed than another, whether or not the scientific research or demographic info supports the data or not. Bottomline it boils down to what you're experiencing in your personal experience I believe. It is rough all the way around for many people. Especially for folks who were already experiencing financial problems before the economic opportunities to shift our global paradigm surfaced.

In answer to your question though....and this is purely my intuition. I think the California "mess" is different because we have experienced a great deal of migration here from other states (and countries) over the years. Particulary during the mid-90's to early part of this decade.We have a large and undocumented illegal immigrant population that exacerbates this situation. No judgement on that...just a fact. It is dense population-wise, it is expensive in terms of basic costs of living, it is by well known fact one of the more expensive places to live on the planet. California can actually be considered a small country in regards to it's economy if compared to similar economies abroad. So in that regard, it would appear to be much more of a financial crunch for someone trying to make it here with a considerable decrease in income for example than someone in perhaps another part of the country. Wherever that may happen to be. Just my opinion. Not stating this to fuel the flames, but to share why I think people feel this way. And to be honest, probably how I feel about it. But I do try to focus on the blessings and have faith we will cycle through this like anything else. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by redwoodlvr; 05-21-2009 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland