Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,891 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating with his company to the San Fran East Bay area, and we would love to find something on the water. It is just the two of us, but our college-age children will be visiting occasionally (we hope), so we need at least a three-4 bedroom home/condo/townhome/(we will consider palaces, mansions, or houseboats)

Can you tell me an area where we might have some success location waterfront properties for rental or purchase. We want a safe area, but the school systems aren't much of a concern for us because our children are out of high school.

Thanks.
Beachpeople
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 PM

37 posts, read 219,238 times
I would recommend Benicia. The prices are fairly reasonable and has a great waterfront community. Many of the other areas have high prices but I'm not sure what your price range is like.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 PM

323 posts, read 697,262 times
I suggest the island of Alameda located in the bay between SF and Oakland. Tunnels, bridges, ferries get you to the mainland, no problem.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Do people consider Benicia in the East Bay now?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 PM

137 posts, read 630,029 times
OP is clearly a fake. She did not state a specific area, and the east bay is a huge, and there are not really any waterfront properties unless you're rich

Old 04-13-2009, 05:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123455 View Post
OP is clearly a fake. She did not state a specific area, and the east bay is a huge, and there are not really any waterfront properties unless you're rich
Point Richmond is pretty affordable. Alameda isn't cheap, but at least it's less pricey than San Francisco's bayfront areas (besides the dreaded Hunter's Point). Emeryville would be OK except that 3-bedrooms don't even exist there. I've never seen anywhere else so focused on singles and young couples.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123455 View Post

Wrong. The OP has a journal entry which explains that the husband's job will be in San Leandro.
They are moving back to the states from Belgium as well, which may explain her vagueness of the East Bay.

Still, Alameda may be worth looking into, although if the East Bay and SF are new to you then I hope you don't have the ideas of typical sunny warm California beaches if so, then you will be completely out of sync with the reality of this beach area!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Still, Alameda may be worth looking into, although if the East Bay and SF are new to you then I hope you don't have the ideas of typical sunny warm California beaches if so, then you will be completely out of sync with the reality of this beach area!
Alameda is a great choice, especially considering a commute to San Leandro. Nice town to live in (which I did for 10 years or so). Quality waterfront properties are not cheap, but there is a good supply. And correct, if you are thinking the Beach Boys and surfing and Santa Monica pier, the Bay Area will be a bit of a disappointment.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,891 times
Thanks to everyone for the responses. After reading your posts, I can understand why my original post would either make me appear to be a fraud or completely ignorant about the Bay Area. I am embarrassed to say it was the latter. I am attempting to educate myself, and your posts are certainly helping.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
So as to ensure correct expectations, please realize that other than a short section of steeper coastal profile in Alameda, the remainder of the East Bay shoreline is essentially mud flat / cord grass / pickleweed / marsh (or salt evaoporator) shoreline. In fact, that's true for most of the Bay. Inside the Golden Gate there are very few beach type areas and access to the water generally means going through (if you even can, for getting stuck in the mud is a real possibly life threatening situation) up to a mile wide mud flat with deep, sticky, fine silt / clay based mud. Just wanted to be sure the OP understood this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland