U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 PM

46 posts, read 158,056 times

Advertisements

This will most likely come off as a really dumb question; however, I am really curious. Is San Francisco still cool? I mean, does it still have a certain vibrancy to it or has it become a gentrified, disney-land version of itself like New York has?

I am speaking primarily in general terms; however, I am also curious as to the state of the gay community in the area today. Is it still pretty close knit and happening? Or has it become passe?

Just kind of curious what SF'ers think of their city today compared to SF of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 PM

14,352 posts, read 12,180,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanatlarge View Post
This will most likely come off as a really dumb question; however, I am really curious. Is San Francisco still cool? I mean, does it still have a certain vibrancy to it or has it become a gentrified, disney-land version of itself like New York has?

I am speaking primarily in general terms; however, I am also curious as to the state of the gay community in the area today. Is it still pretty close knit and happening? Or has it become passe?

Just kind of curious what SF'ers think of their city today compared to SF of the past.
I don't live in SF proper. I will speak to the issue about the gay community. There certainly is a large gay community in SF, as there has been for quite some time. But I don't know think it's all that "close knit" for the most part. Of course, there are always excpetions to the rule. Some people manage to form close knit friendships wherever they go and other don't no matter where they are.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 PM

12,930 posts, read 19,487,070 times
I lived there for a year in 2001-2002...and didn't feel any gentrified disney-land version of New York in either NY or SF. I think that might ONLY apply to Times Square in NYC as their is a disney store that moved in, but nowhere else in NYC has any feel like that whatsoever.

I'd say SF's Castro is still the same.

The only BIG difference I noticed with SF back when I was there, was that it was the 'hippy' lifestyle that was threatened...the gay community was flourishing as was anything yuppie-related.

People who wanted that hippy-like lifestyle who were going up northward into the pacific northwest.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:58 PM

Ok. Well, I was just wondering how it has changed over the years. When I said "disney-land", I didn't mean literally disney, haha. I was asking if San Francisco, like New York, was loosing some of its "character" as new residents (often from the Midwest) moved in, bringing with them an onslaught of chain stores, Trader Joe's, and Starbucks.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Ok. Well, I was just wondering how it has changed over the years. When I said "disney-land", I didn't mean literally disney, haha. I was asking if San Francisco, like New York, was loosing some of its "character" as new residents (often from the Midwest) moved in, bringing with them an onslaught of chain stores, Trader Joe's, and Starbucks.

Starbucks is everywhere...but your general chain store is not.

Actually in SF, if I did have to or want to go to a Target store, for example, I would have to drive way out into outlying suburban areas to do so.

In Manhattan, K-Mart placed a store there, and people were against the idea by quite a bit. But once it was put in, it had very little presense whatsoever. I think I only went there once in a several year period.

By and large, apartments are smaller, so less needs for K-Marts or Targets, as you don't have garages and tons of housing space that needs filling. So, by and large, you end up eating out a lot at the tons of ethnic restaurants - vietnamese, italian, indian, etc. They are all over the place, I kinda miss that...just walking to any and every kind of restaurant imagineable (and things like shopping in malls or target trips are about as far off anyone's radar screen as they should be)!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,124,727 times
San Francisco's gay community may be losing its unique lifestyle because of the straight community's acceptance of everything gay. For example, gay clubs\bars are basically mixed with heterosexuals as well. Same can be said about LA where once primarily gay clubs are now a mixture of gay\lesbian\straight men & women\ diverse racial mixture. I think the phenomena of acceptance actually waters down a distinct gay community. This is, of-course natural.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:29 AM

10,081 posts, read 14,679,711 times
What's up with blaming Midwesterners for "bringing" Starbucks and Trader Joe's with them to NYC? If you don't like Midwesterners you won't like San Francisco, as SF is, lke NYC, filled with people from all over the nation and the world.

If don't like rich yuppie culture, then yes, you might find parts of SF to be too gentrified for your tastes. There are areas that remind me of parts Manhattan in that way - very nice, very expensive, sometimes very touristy. But also like NYC (including Manhattan) there are great neighborhoods, tons of restaurants and local stores, and lots of interesting people. I'm too new and too young to have lived here through the city's evolution into - and out of - its hippie era and comment on that, but SF today has a pretty diverse and interesting blend of people.

But then, I am a native Midwesterer and am probably bringing the whole place down, despite the fact that one of the reasons I like San Francisco is the easy ability to live a life free from national chains. (and Starbucks isn't quite everywhere in SF - so far they've been kept out of the Inner Richmond; through the great efforts of many neighborhood residents. The Central Richmond has a starbucks outlet in a bank, but their presence is muted by the plentiful independent options - all with much nicer ambiance than sitting in a bank lobby - lining the streets)

And, random fact, both Starbucks and Trader Joe's are Californian - Starbucks traces its roots to Berkeley's Peet's, while Trader Joe's was founded in southern CA.(And, as a complete aside, I went to that Manhattan K-Mart once; never though I'd shop at a K-Mart in NYC - or anywhere, really - but got caught in the rain and needed cheap boots and dry socks and they were right there.)

Old 04-14-2009, 02:15 AM

Tried tried delete the other post, and still has it there.

In case anyone was wondering, I basically agreed with happ...if you are a single guy, the coolest women to meet are the ones trying to hangout in the gay community, etc.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
What's up with blaming Midwesterners for "bringing" Starbucks and Trader Joe's with them to NYC?
Because Midwesterners are to easy lol. It isn't really even a Midwesterner problem, per say, more of an issue of people from the suburbs moving to cities for all the urban benefits, but then inadvertently bringing with them such suburban comforts as K-mart, big box stores, etc.

As long as there is not a friggin Walmart on every corner....

Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM

49,563 posts, read 41,523,547 times
Quote:

I don't think many people from the mid-west are moving into San Francisco. Some may be moving to the burbs, but they are seeking S.F. proper. First S.F. is much more expensive than most of the mid-west and the mid-west, even the liberal areas are still more conservative than San Francisco...I shouldn't say, people from the midwest are not moving to SF, I think it depends on what part of the midwest you are thinking of. If you are talking places like Chicago, yes, they may be relocating to SF, but when I think midwest I am thinking Kansas, NE, places like that. Regardless these people are not the ones bringing with them Trader Joes or Starbucks. I assume you were just giving those as examples. Trader Joes got its start in Ca.
I haven't visited SF for about 3 years, but when we did, it was still charming and had that special urban feeling. I would say, much like NYC>

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland