Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:04 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,321,380 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to visit SFO in 3 weeks. What do you think is the best/cheapest location to get some clothes?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 04:00 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,695,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Hi,

I am going to visit SFO in 3 weeks. What do you think is the best/cheapest location to get some clothes?

Thx
The nearest outlet stores (in Vacaville, Tracy, Gilroy) are 50 or more miles from SF - not really worth the trip to save on clothes. Otherwise, clothes are probably cheaper where you live than here - and you can add on 9% or more for sales tax in California.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:11 PM

Thank you. Well, I live in Germany and clothes are usually more expensive here than in the US with the current dollar/euro ratio. And the sales tax is 19% here...

But if its 50km or more, you are right, that its not really worth to spend such a trip on holiday.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:57 PM

516 posts, read 1,336,722 times
Well its not cheap but there is some very good shopping on Market St. Downtown. Heck, if you're from Germany it will probably be cheaper than you are used to just because of the exchange rate (not as good as it was, but still good). There is even a mall down there (with a Bloomingdales and a great food court in the basement...not that I would recommend eating at the mall over trying food in Chinatown or North Beach!). Fun times.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM

358 posts, read 1,035,889 times
I find that most "outlet" malls/stores are a waste of time. They are now generally stocked with merchandise specifically made for the outlet (i.e. they were never sold in a retail store to begin with) and the prices are often times higher than you would pay for standard retail merchandise that you catch on sale at Macy's.

What type of clothing are you looking for? Are you into high end designer, large department stores (like Macy's), outdoor wear, shoes, etc?

I think the outlets would be a waste of time for you, especially since you'd have to go through the trouble of renting a car, navigating through the nightmare that is the "maze" (mish mash of highways that all come together at the Bay Bridge to get you into the City from points East), and driving to a place the has nothing to offer outside of those outlet stores. To get to Vacaville, you are looking at an hour from Union Square WITHOUT traffic.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,160,163 times
I would take a look at Marshalls Dept Store at 5th and Market St, downtown San Francisco.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,100,370 times
I always shop at JC Penney's. Last time I did so I got four complete sets of casual work clothes for less than $200.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 AM

Hi,

thanks again for your help. I have been to Macy's and JCPenny's in the Garden State Plaza Mall in New Jersey last month, when I visited New York. They were nice, but maybe a bit more expensive than in California as I heared from a friend.

I will have a car for one day, that should be no problem, and I am looking for "normal" clothes, like some Converse Shoes for my sister, Hilfiger Polo Shirts, and so on.

I think I will go to a Dept Store Downtown. It is not worth to spend the holiday in a traffic jam just to save a few cents.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:34 PM

52 posts, read 180,798 times
Close to SFO there is a mall called Tanforan. Other malls close to SFO are Hillsdale Mall (near Hillsdale Caltrain station), Serramonte and Stonestown near 19th avenue.

Enjoy Shopping! Spends some money and boost the economy

Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM

37 posts, read 142,714 times
I tend to shop at Gilroy and they have all the stores you are talking about, it is an outlet. The drive is not that bad and it is 50 miles not 50 Km, that is about 25-28 KM. They have a Polo Store, Hilfiger, Converse, Coach, etc. Go by the outlet mall offices and they will provide you with coupons for more discounts. Look them up online- Gilroy Oulet Malls Califonia. Happy Shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland