Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Even in the '60's and '70's gay friendliness in San Francisco was a generational thing...with the older generations tending to favor a closed closet. Because the older generations ran the city machine, gays came in for a lot of grief. It was not just in the 1950's that gays were run out of bars and beaten by police...but in the 60's and 70's as well. That is exactly why Milk's out-of-the-closet campaign was so timely.
Remember Stacy, I am generalizing and comparing SFO to other places in the country. Yes, older generations often run things, the younger group will be older someday and the new generation will be asking them to open their minds. To what, I really don't know, but certainly this is progress. Some of it good and some not so good.

I still maintain compared to most places SFO has been gay friendly for many years..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default San Francisco

If one is Gay then San Francisco is a great place to call home. California voters have told the world they do not want same sex marriage. Will the Citys' most creative, productive citizens now decide to move to places like Iowa, Vermont or even Washington DC to achieve equal rights? I predict this may happen and San Francisco and California will be the poorer for it. I remember when California was seen across the nation as a forward looking state. I certainly don't think much of that state anymore and I don't plan to visit anytime soon. I never thought of Des Moines as a travel destination! LOL!

Old 05-10-2009, 02:14 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I sense the rabid anti-military sentiment in some Bay Area circles would diminish if the military abandons its Don't Ask Don't Tell policies.
I doubt it. Too many liberals think if we would just get rid of the military, war would go away. They think we can do everything by negotiation.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Unfortunately, the facts also include arresting gays for simply meeting and socializing in the 1950s.
It's not like San Francisco was the only place that did this.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:23 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I doubt it. Too many liberals think if we would just get rid of the military, war would go away. They think we can do everything by negotiation.
That's not exactly true and you're generalizing mysticaltyger. I'm politically liberal, but I also have family in the military. My grandfather was in the Navy. My cousin is a ranger in Afghanistan. My uncle is a Marine. My aunt is in Germany. Another cousin back east is stark raving mad now from being in Iraq for 7 tours. I don't believe in war or that it's the answer, but I'm not stupid enough to believe what you've written above. Strictly because we've set it up to continually be in wars. But it will eventually change and shift...at least I hold this high intention.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:37 AM

495 posts, read 1,830,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I remember when California was seen across the nation as a forward looking state.
It's still a forward looking state, we're just broke.

The passage of Prop 8 was a well planned political upheaval. And it worked. Unfortunately. The California Supreme Court will reverse it...just a matter of time.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:41 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I personally do associate SF with being gay friendly but for me that is a good thing since I want many of the same things a gay man wants I think that is why I love love Key West etc. It seems like gay men have higher standards or something.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
If one is Gay then San Francisco is a great place to call home. California voters have told the world they do not want same sex marriage. Will the Citys' most creative, productive citizens now decide to move to places like Iowa, Vermont or even Washington DC to achieve equal rights? I predict this may happen and San Francisco and California will be the poorer for it. I remember when California was seen across the nation as a forward looking state. I certainly don't think much of that state anymore and I don't plan to visit anytime soon. I never thought of Des Moines as a travel destination! LOL!
I doubt many are going to leave Ca because of prop 8. Eventually the law will be changed. Right now those who have lived in CA for years will continue thier lives as they have in the past.

APtor, what would make you say gay men have higher standards?

Nita

Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
That's not exactly true and you're generalizing mysticaltyger. I'm politically liberal, but I also have family in the military. My grandfather was in the Navy. My cousin is a ranger in Afghanistan. My uncle is a Marine. My aunt is in Germany. Another cousin back east is stark raving mad now from being in Iraq for 7 tours. I don't believe in war or that it's the answer, but I'm not stupid enough to believe what you've written above. Strictly because we've set it up to continually be in wars. But it will eventually change and shift...at least I hold this high intention.
In theory, many liberals would probably say war is a necessary evil (as would I). But in practice, they'll vote for politicans who will avoid war at any and all costs, even when there is a case for it.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I doubt many are going to leave Ca because of prop 8. Eventually the law will be changed. Right now those who have lived in CA for years will continue thier lives as they have in the past.

APtor, what would make you say gay men have higher standards?

Nita
I can't answer for APtor, but I would say we have higher standards for some things, like aesthetics, beauty, fashion, etc. I know that's a stereotype, and I definitely have gay man friends who have no sense of aesthetics at all, but in general, I do think gay men have a good sense of beauty.

However, we have lower standards in lots of other more important ways. I know I'll get flamed for this by someone, but we really do sleep around a lot more than straight/lesbian couples do. I believe our relashionships really are more prone to breakup than straight/lesbian couples as well. I hope that will change. Unfortunately, I don't see that gay men (collectively) are really willing to own up to a lot of our problems. We're still stuck on blaming an outside enemy for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland