Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 15,208 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving to lower nob hill because of its location and price range. How is it viewed in the city? What about crime or safety?

what do people think of twin peaks or cole valley?

would inner sunset or inner richmond be a better choice?

I am going to be going to school near Union Square and Market St. So I am trying to find a studio that is safe, affordable, and not crazy far from where I will be spending a lot of time.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 PM

373 posts, read 1,169,209 times
To me, Lower Nob Hill feels like no mans land. It's an intermediary zone where people go to get elsewhere. Feels like there is no there there. Generally, the closer to CA street, the safer it will be. The area, however, would be ideal for you because of its proximity to your school.

Twin Peaks is mostly residential. It's quite pricey and far removed from any commerical strip and is inconvenient without a car. Very safe though.

Inner Sunset has great restaurants. N-Judah to Union Square would take 20 -30 minutes depending on time of day. The Inner Sunset does lack a decent grocery store.

Cole Valley is pricey and yuppie. If that's your thing you might like it. Lots of families and strollers. Kinda Sleepy. Safe. N-Judah to Union Square will take 15 - 25 minutes.

Inner Richmond is a mini Chinatown with a sprinkling of non-Chinese businesses. Pretty close to Trader Joes. Pretty safe. Taking the bus to Union Square will take around 30 minutes or so. Probrably the most affordable next to Lower Nob Hill in terms of rentals.

If convenience to school is a priority, Lower Nob Hill is not a bad choice. Try to live as close to CA street as possible. You might find something under 1200. If a good hood is of more importance, I'd go with either Inner Sunset or Inner Richmond. Those hoods have a more neighborly feel to them and are safer than Lower Nob Hill.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 16,072 times
what is or where is the difference between lower nob hill and the tenderloin?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 PM

96 posts, read 309,034 times
geary (or these days, possibly o'farrell) would be the northern boundary of the TL. Anything north of that has a completely different (and safer) vibe. It gets more residential and quieter as you go further up the hill. We chose Lower Nob over Nob Hill because of the convenience and vibrancy. Some streets are better than others but it is in no way a no man's land. Many of the shops, restaurants, and bars are more neighborhood-oriented, but there is no shortage of "destination" places that draw people from all over to here either.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 PM

56 posts, read 182,549 times
I've always enjoyed spending time walking around cole valley. It has a very European feel with nice big houses and a main drag with little shops and bars. close to haight street and pretty sunny. inner sunset or richmond are also nice, but with less sun.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 PM

373 posts, read 1,169,209 times
Cole Valley is really expensive. Studios start at around 1400.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 25,642 times
yep Cole Valley is expensive, but when I lived there I loved it. Lots of cute little places to have coffee or eat out. Very walkable and close to the Haight and also close to Golden Gate Park. Richmond/ Sunset etc will have tons of fog and Cole valley has its share, it just gets there a little bit later and backs up against Buena Vista hill. Buena Vista park is just nearby and a lovely big spot of green in the city with wonderful views. If you go down and cross Haight st, you will be in NoPa and I think the rents will probably be lower there and you could still walk up the hill to catch the NJudah into downtown.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:46 PM

29 posts, read 124,492 times
I like Lower Nob Hill. It's very urban, so it's a great neighborhood if you're young and enjoy city living. You do have to be careful about geography though, b/c it borders right on the Tenderloin. I think anything north of Sutter St is safe. My friend lives in a studio on Sutter and Taylor, and she has always felt safe there. She is comfortable walking to her home at night from both Van Ness and Powell/Market St. She pays $1200 for a good-sized studio.

Of the other areas you mention, I would pick Inner Sunset. It's young, safe and has varied things to do. Cole Valley and Twin Peaks are very residential. Inner Richmond is nice but I feel it's so cut off from the rest of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland