Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times

Advertisements

Stanford campus, esp engineering school: intellectual birthplace of Silicon Valley...as well as VC offices of Kleiner and Sequoia (along Sand Hill Rd), which financed the key start-ups that created today's tech/Net industry...and corporate campuses of legends like goog, Apple, Intel, etc...far more historically, culturally and economically relevant than anything in SF

Without proximity to Silicon Valley and having good grub, City of SF would be about as irrelevant as Seattle or Portland or Bos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 PM

96 posts, read 309,341 times
Speaking of irrelevent, I've had enough of this clown's posts. Does this forum have an ignore feature?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
To get detailed public transportation directions from point A to point B check out the SFMTA website:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta.php

China Beach is great, too, although a little out of the way. It's worth the trip, though! If you're interested in museums you could combine it with a trip to the Legion of Honor. The Legion of Honor's location is amazing, and the views from there and from China Beach are amazing.

If you end up on the Geary bus (38, 38L, etc.) then stop off in the Inner Richmond - get off on 2nd or 3rd or so, walk one block north to Clement St., and walk west on Clement. There are TONS of restaurants (many Chinese, but other options, too) plus some fun markets. It's a fun neighborhood, and definitely worth a dinner visit.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM

75 posts, read 171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
To get detailed public transportation directions from point A to point B check out the SFMTA website:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta.php

China Beach is great, too, although a little out of the way. It's worth the trip, though! If you're interested in museums you could combine it with a trip to the Legion of Honor. The Legion of Honor's location is amazing, and the views from there and from China Beach are amazing.

If you end up on the Geary bus (38, 38L, etc.) then stop off in the Inner Richmond - get off on 2nd or 3rd or so, walk one block north to Clement St., and walk west on Clement. There are TONS of restaurants (many Chinese, but other options, too) plus some fun markets. It's a fun neighborhood, and definitely worth a dinner visit.
Thanks for this. How are these neighborhoods on the weekend? I'll be there from Thursday to Monday morning.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
The neighborhoods seem to be about the same in terms of action/interest on both weekends and weekdays, although I think certain restaurants have longer waits on weekend nights. Golden Gate Park is great on Sundays, as that's when they close some of the roads to cars. (the Richmond is just north of the park)

If you head out to the west side of the city pack a sweatshirt or light jacket, though; it can get foggy and cooler in the Richmond, even if it's sunny downtown.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 PM

57 posts, read 382,065 times
From there you should be able to walk to the SFMOMA (on 3rd st), it's a decent museum, the gift shop is great. Last summer they had a Frida exhibit which was great..not sure what's there now. Across the street there's a wonderful park to check out. Walk from there to Union Square, check out Gumps if you're into shopping. You can walk to China Town from there. It's all pretty walkable. I believe I did all of this in 1 day!

You can check out North Beach & Pier 39 in one day. Also, do a trip to Alcatrez.

Walk across the Golden Gate bridge, check out the golden gate park (which i hear is wonderful), and visit haight ashbury too.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:20 PM

75 posts, read 171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelinala View Post
From there you should be able to walk to the SFMOMA (on 3rd st), it's a decent museum, the gift shop is great. Last summer they had a Frida exhibit which was great..not sure what's there now. Across the street there's a wonderful park to check out. Walk from there to Union Square, check out Gumps if you're into shopping. You can walk to China Town from there. It's all pretty walkable. I believe I did all of this in 1 day!

You can check out North Beach & Pier 39 in one day. Also, do a trip to Alcatrez.

Walk across the Golden Gate bridge, check out the golden gate park (which i hear is wonderful), and visit haight ashbury too.
Is Golden Gate park on the other side of the bridge? I drove across last time and parked at this look out area. Is North Beach, Pier 39, and GG Park all relatively close to each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland