Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It depends a lot on what you want from your experience. Napa is awesome but I always think of it as somewhat touristy and liberal. Vacaville and Fairfield are probably more family oriented. They are almost burbs of San Francisco...

If the liberal lifestyle is what you want shoot for Napa Valley, if not, try and find someplace near where you will be working. By the way, I am not a strong supporter of Craigslist, but it will give you ideas. Will your wife be working as well?

Nita
Actually I did not find Napa to be all that liberal...more the opposite really (to get a sense of it look at the comments section of the Napa Valley Register). It certainly is touristy (this is my big objection to it), but its also good in that it has a walkable downtown.

There is more for small kids to do there than teens though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Although Napa is an option.. keep in mind that it's a very agricultural town (of course, wine related). The downtown is "cute" and appeals to a weekender crowd, but I personally would be dead bored of actually living there. It can be sorta "crusty" and industrial outside of the facade. It's definitely not a suburban kind of town with the big box stores and shopping centers or anything (if that's what you are looking for). There are some really great restaurants there though!

As for the "liberal lifestyle" that someone mentioned..I'm not really sure what that is to be honest since some "liberals" like myself have kids too. I don't recall your post mentioning political leanings though..unless being from Texas or Oregon automatically makes you want to be around the same?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 PM

14 posts, read 73,093 times
Currently we live in Keizer, OR which is just outside of Salem, OR... Combined population is just over 100,000 people... We can drive 15 minutes north and be in the country with nothing but farmland and we can drive 15 minutes south and be in downtown Salem. We try to stay out of Portland because there are to many people in a rush to get who knows where as fast as they can with bad attitudes. We are more laid back people that enjoy the backyard BBQ as often as we can. Both my boys love to play and are currently involved in outdoor sports. We love hikes, bikes, and beaches. Did you guys know that the water at the beach up here is so cold that you cant even go swimming at the beach? I'm dead serious! It sucks!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:04 AM

106 posts, read 581,323 times
Default Maybe Winters...

former Fairfield resident here.....

OP, you may be in for a shock if you are hoping for something similar to your place near Salem....if you like to be a 15 minute drive to the countryside and easy access to outdoors....I might suggest Winters. Fairfield itself might be too urbanish for you--its advatage is faster access to the Bay aea cities, but that does not seem important to you. Also, you'll need an area with less expensive housing, of which Winters qualifies. A family of five, hoping to live on one salary, currently pulling 50k and expecting a vague raise over that amount, will probably not be able to afford housing in the nice areas of Fairfield (ie Green Valley.) Also--if you don't live in the elite part of town, the public schools can be REAL sketchy. Or you'd have to wrangle enrollment in the desirable schools if you live in a less expensive area.

Vacaville is another choice--sort of Fairfield with less severe problems mentioned above and 10 degress hotter. But I suggest the extra drive from Winters will not be burdensome, it's easier to find affordable housing, the public schools much less overwhelming, but still easy access to the amenities of an area with 100,000 population.

You'd be far from the ocean, but if you are out of Salem, Oregon, you're not close now either. And the beaches and water are too cold for swimming in Northern California, too, so that won't change!

Go ahead and look at Napa, but you'd have the same problems as Fairfield imo--you likely could not afford housing in the nicer parts of town. Napa evokes thoughts of fine wine and sophistication, but much of Napa town itself is kind of, well, industrial-looking and frayed. The "fine living" areas of Napa Valley, that you see in magazines and TV, are mostly north of Napa town and VERY expensive. Plus, commute from Napa to Fairfield is not any closer than Winters-Fairfield.

To make it short, I suggest a strong look at Winters as well. Best of luck.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 AM

63 posts, read 225,205 times
Vacaville is safer than Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland