Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That is not true in my experiance, usually its the other way around. People in SoCal either like Northern CA and it's people or are indifferent and don't really care. It's usually a Northern Californian speaking negatively about SoCal more so than it is the other way around. Southern Californians seem to be a little less judgmental in this regard.

Very true, most southern californians I met liked Northern California or were indifferent to it. Northern Californians take the rivalry a lot more seriously.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:30 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Very true, most southern californians I met liked Northern California or were indifferent to it. Northern Californians take the rivalry a lot more seriously.
Northern Californians pretty much hate everybody. They get personally offended if you talk bad about the Bay Area as well. Southerners, southern californians, people from the east coast. Anybody not from this area they take a rivalry to.

There's probably a political overtone to it.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 AM

8 posts, read 35,095 times
San Francisco is really beautiful city with good weather. I think everybody like to visit this city. I really like it.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Northern Californians pretty much hate everybody. They get personally offended if you talk bad about the Bay Area as well. Southerners, southern californians, people from the east coast. Anybody not from this area they take a rivalry to.

There's probably a political overtone to it.
Thats part of the reason northern california is so crappy. So many people are hell bent on keeping things "the way they are" or simply choose to ignore constructive criticism.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post

Absolute opposite of my experience in SoCal. I find that Northern Californians actually say very nice things about San Diego and even defend L.A. to some degree. However, if I even mention I was moving to the Bay in Orange County....there would be a line of people ready to ask why? Coupled closely with the typical rants about the Bay being: liberal, gay, antisemite, run by loonies, full of nerdy engineers and foggy weather...but then they would almost always follow up with : "but it is beautiful up there".

I don't think I ever heard a Southern Californian say anything nice about the BayArea, and they almost always had something negative to say about San Francisco proper.

Last edited by Mach50; 09-30-2009 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Absolute opposite of my experience in SoCal. I find that Northern Californians actually say very nice things about San Diego and even defend L.A. to some degree. However, if I even mention I was moving to the Bay in Orange County....there would be a line of people ready to ask why? Coupled closely with the typical rants about the Bay being: liberal, gay, antisemite, run by loonies, full of nerdy engineers and foggy weather...but then they would almost always follow up with : "but it is beautiful up there".

I don't think I ever heard a Southern Californian say anything nice about the BayArea, and they almost always had something negative to say about San Francisco proper.
That's been my experience too. I go back to the Bay Area a couple of times a year and whenever I do and I make the mistake of mentioning it, I get the "you live here, why would you want to go there" questionnaires. As well as all the other things you just said.

Having said that, I must also admit that northern cal people are really into rivalries. It's just the mentality. Within the bay area itself there are local rivalries; east bay vs. San Fran etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:29 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Orange County and the Bay Area are polar opposites pretty much. I almost never hear anyone in SD or LA say stuff like that about the Bay Area. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear negative things about NorCal in OC though.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Orange County and the Bay Area are polar opposites pretty much. I almost never hear anyone in SD or LA say stuff like that about the Bay Area. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear negative things about NorCal in OC though.
I think you're onto something. I live in NoCal and have friends in LA and SD...there are things all of us like like and dislike about all three cities, but we unanimously agree on our dislike of Orange County.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
I think you're onto something. I live in NoCal and have friends in LA and SD...there are things all of us like like and dislike about all three cities, but we unanimously agree on our dislike of Orange County.
Yes I have to say OC ruined my opinion of SoCal, and I was born in Long Beach. I guess I shouldn't judge all of SoCal by my experience in OC though, that's wrong on my part. In all fairness, I never met a San Diegan that had negative things to say about NorCal, except for the weather.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:29 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
I'm not sure there's much difference between much of the East Bay-take Walnut Creek, for example-and OC. The city of SF is obviously a different story. Don't know enough about San Jose and SV. Though I would wager there are commonalities between there and OC as well. It's really just SF and Berkeley that are markedly different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland