Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
LA has skid row. I've never seen anything like that in SF.
The Tenderloin + Sixth Street can at times be very reminiscent of Skid Row . It's not as bad as it used to be of course though, in either city...i remember the first time i was in Skid Row in LA, and the first thought that popped into my head was, "look it's the Tenderloin's twin."

Old 10-03-2009, 09:01 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
i remember the first time i was in Skid Row in LA, and the first thought that popped into my head was, "look it's the Tenderloin's twin."
lol, yes they are very similar. Still, Skid Row makes me more uneasy than the Tenderloin simply because of its relative isolation. Whereas the Tenderloin is literally a few blocks removed from Union Square, the Cable Cars, and all the tourist stuff, Skid Row makes you feel like you're in the forgotten outer fringes of LA. In the Tenderloin, you still have plenty of people out and about (cyclists on Market, business people, people just passing through, confused tourists, at least in during the day time).

Old 10-04-2009, 04:35 AM

63 posts, read 128,470 times
I have wanted to move out of SF for an year now because of the housing prices, recession and service cuts by the state government.
However, I cannot find a city in this huge country worth moving to.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 AM

313 posts, read 676,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypnay704 View Post
I have a lot of family and friends who were born and raised in Southern California (Anaheim area, Yorba Linda, Ontario & in LA). A lot of the scoff at people who are from Northern California (when Nor Cal ppl visit So Cal -calling Bay Area folks hippies and tree huggers etc), and also when they come up here, most insinuate that compared to So Cal, we are like country bumpkins.
Yeah there is a rivalry because Nor Cal and So. Cal have such different make-ups. But to what degree depends on the individual.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
lol, yes they are very similar. Still, Skid Row makes me more uneasy than the Tenderloin simply because of its relative isolation. Whereas the Tenderloin is literally a few blocks removed from Union Square, the Cable Cars, and all the tourist stuff, Skid Row makes you feel like you're in the forgotten outer fringes of LA. In the Tenderloin, you still have plenty of people out and about (cyclists on Market, business people, people just passing through, confused tourists, at least in during the day time).
I agree about Skid Row. I've been unfortunate enough to have seen a dead body in both of these neighborhoods, but the one in Skid Row I saw on my first time passing through! Skid Row seems a bit bigger and more spread out, but it also seems to have more bad blocks than the TL does. It might also be that I'm very familiar with the TL and experiencing a new hood that is comparable seems worse b/c its unfamiliar. I'm not sure. But I definitely feel like the TL is closer to safety and sanity than Skid Row. Skid Row feels more isolated w/o a doubt.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:22 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Exactly you can blink and you will be out of the tenderloin. Skid row sprawls out.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:49 PM

97 posts, read 238,566 times
Ima big city type. ive never been there, but that s one of my desires. i think i will love it.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM

97 posts, read 238,566 times
i never been there. I can't judge it so. But I did hear of homosexuality dominating this city, and maybe even the whole California. I also heard that saying "If you sagg, then you a ******. ok. I mma be real with you, but I love the image. Dont intend on visiting the place.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
lol @ "atrociously cold weather"
what an idiot. omg its 68 degrees im freezing im going to make a blog and cry

Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
lol @ "atrociously cold weather"
what an idiot. omg its 68 degrees im freezing im going to make a blog and cry
C'mon, you know it gets lower than 68 in SF. That being said, I agree the weather in SF is far from "atrocious." Maybe if you compare it to Hawaii...or San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland