U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2009, 04:58 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,201,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Anywhere there are beach bunnies, ie coastal san diego, la, oc, there will be good looking woman. Unfortunatly this is like 2% of californians. The good looking woman thing is definatly a myth, unless you are at an Angels game. I found woman in SF didn't really know how to dress best to show their best features. Lots of hipsters, hippies and grungo's who have no sense of style. A good couple of years out east would have probably straightend their senses.
Well, you won't find San Francisco women wearing bikinis at ball games because it's 55 degrees out! PS..most of the women that come here to live are from the East Coast and L.A.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,826,692 times
My point is SF seems to more or less be a magnet for freaks with no fashion sense regardless of where they are origionally from. I'm pretty sure portland and vegas were two cities I've been to where the people were dressed more poorly than SF.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,238,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post

This is funny though:
that norm macdonald quote was about Al Davis' party back in 1996 or 97 if I remember correctly...it's true!

But really more to the point for all you SF haters here
this one's for you!

Wild Light - California On My Mind (2009 Video & Lyrics)

isn't it just easier when you have your own song?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,486,494 times
Quote:
My point is SF seems to more or less be a magnet for freaks with no fashion sense regardless of where they are origionally from.
If it doesn't make a difference where they are originally from, then why did you say this:

Quote:
A good couple of years out east would have probably straightend their senses.
Your more recent comment effectively negates this previous comment.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM

118 posts, read 99,561 times

Top Reasons Why I Hate San Francisco:

1. NO LEFT TURNS
Never been a problem. It's a major dense city; to be expected

2. The lack of parking
Again, to be expected with any city of it's density. I knew what I was getting into from the get go. no problem.

3. The plentiful supply of homeless people
Agreed, not my favorite thing.

4. Hills, hills, hills--good for views, bad for safety
Love this hills, love the views. 15 years, never had real safety issues. Certainly worth it.

5. Frequent events/protests/parades/festivals that snarl up traffic for no good reason whatsoever
Love the festivals, parades and find the protest interesting. Glad people take interest.

6. The atrociously cold weather
It's San Francisco. It's not a surprise.

7. The nutball politicians who run the joint
I used to like this quirkiness; less so now that I am a home owner.

8. The crappy public transportation system, which only seems functional in comparison to the even worse nightmares in other cities. Being the smartest retard ain't something to be proud of.
I use Muni on main line routes and find it practical given its surface street limitations. Underground subways would be idea.

9. Every miserable night on the town I've ever spent in SF, which seem to devolve into a Sisyphean quest to find "the" right bar or nightclub
And this is a San Francisco issue and not because of your lame friends and not your fault for standing up to them?

10. The smug, self-satisfied attitude of residents who are convinced that they live the greatest city in the world. It's the people who claim to love the environment, then commute to jobs in San Jose that really burn me up.

Smugness overstated. We dont have the flexibility to get a job on the block we want anymore. But if we have to work outside of teh City should that automatically exclude us from living in the City?

I'm in the right spot- you should find your own ideal City and we'll be happier all the way around.

Flame away, SF residents!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM

767 posts, read 1,245,170 times
Try moving to Yeehaw Junction, Florida. There is no traffic, no hills, no events, no public transportation system, no homeless people - and and only a few people who do live in the 12 or so homes in town. The weather is hot all year and politicians don't even bother to stop there. There is only one street, so you don't have to worry about making left turns and you can park wherever you like. It is a tropical paradise and you will never miss that cold, filthy, crappy old city by the bay with all of the mean people.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM

24,557 posts, read 14,923,723 times
I worked in SF for years and found plenty to appreciate about it. I would not live there however, I'm just not a "big city girl". I live in the suburbs but I can hop on the BART train and be in SF in 35 minutes to do whatever I want to do there.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:14 PM

17 posts, read 31,979 times
Quote:
1. NO LEFT TURNS
Agreed, on certain streets. 19th Ave, Van Ness, Geary. Can take a real while to be able to make a left turn.

Quote:
2. The lack of parking
Agreed, in certain areas.

Quote:
3. The plentiful supply of homeless people
It usually doesn't bother me that much. Aggressive panhandlers are a nuisance, so are the bums who charge you an "extortion fee" when you're parking somewhere before you go to a club or bar or whatnot. "Hey if you spare me a couple dollars I'll make sure your car is okay".

Quote:
4. Hills, hills, hills--good for views, bad for safety
I suppose it can be bad for safety when you're driving and don't see a car coming. Depends on stop signs and red lights of course.

Quote:
5. Frequent events/protests/parades/festivals that snarl up traffic for no good reason whatsoever
This can be really annoying.

Quote:
6. The atrociously cold weather
It rarely gets really cold or really hot. Cold summers yeah, but compare the modest winter coldness to that of the midwest like Chicago. Evens out.

Quote:
7. The nutball politicians who run the joint
Aren't politicians hateable everywhere?

Quote:
8. The crappy public transportation system, which only seems functional in comparison to the even worse nightmares in other cities. Being the smartest retard ain't something to be proud of.
It's alright.

Quote:
9. Every miserable night on the town I've ever spent in SF, which seem to devolve into a Sisyphean quest to find "the" right bar or nightclub
That's whom you hang out with. Some people are fine to hang out in one bar and stay there the whole night.

Quote:
10. The smug, self-satisfied attitude of residents who are convinced that they live the greatest city in the world. It's the people who claim to love the environment, then commute to jobs in San Jose that really burn me up.
You go where the best jobs are.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
It rarely gets really cold or really hot. Cold summers yeah, but compare the modest winter coldness to that of the midwest like Chicago. Evens out.
Having been born & raised in Philadelphia ............ I LOVE SF's 'cold' summers !! YEA !!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 PM

23 posts, read 37,829 times
Here are the points I would like to make about SF:
Overall, I should say that SF offers a good and vibrant city life without a fast pace like NY

1: the city itself is quite beautiful, and the entire SF Bay Area offers even more beauty.
2: I would prefer an area where the summers are not hot and humid like they are in most places in the US east of the Rockies.

3: During my visit to SF, I noticed that much of the architecture there is graceful and many of the housing units are quite nice, even though because of the land scarcity the prices are high.
4: I could imagine the standard of living being high in the SF Bay Area.
5: the park areas, like Golden Gate Park, are really superb.
6: the high Asian (especially Chinese) concentration made me feel 'at home'.
7: Bleh, the traffic in the SF Bay Area is bad, even comparable to the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland