U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 PM

43 posts, read 64,093 times

Advertisements

i only realized how much i love this place when i have to relocate to another place...

Old 09-13-2009, 01:03 AM

75 posts, read 182,443 times
I went to Manhattan, which is a lot larger than San Fran. The streets were clean and no homeless bums. Try going to a show in liberal San Francisco. You'll get harrassed by homeless people and the stench of urine will make you puke. The liberals and out of control Nazi Liberal Gays are running the show. The anti family/conservative values in this city make me sick.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:12 AM

39 posts, read 72,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia12345678910 View Post
Read this Adventures in Capitalism: Why I Hate San Francisco

In your opinion ... what do you think ? True or not ? Has this been your case ?

Or do you love San Francisco ?
What is your opinion ?
I hate how the Haight District has changed from authentic small used record shops and "head shops" to these trendy neo-hipsters. I have nothing against Gays but they're pouring out of the Castro and taking over the haight. Chinatown is still pretty cool. I like how they cleaned up the redlight a bit and made it little italian bistros and whatever. San Francisco sucks because it's losing its historical character and being replaced by corporate imaging. But it's still a cool place to visit old victorian homes and has lots of cool architectural designs.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:44 AM

25,291 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsurfer View Post
i only realized how much i love this place when i have to relocate to another place...
I hear you there.

I live in Sao Paulo half the year(well this year its been like 2 months cause Ive been so busy here) but right before I leave the Bay Area-I get a little sad.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,403,183 times
I most of all hate the selective liberal, selectively ignorant, stuck up, anti-black, bubble mentality that exists in San Francisco and even more so in the East Bay. The Peninsula and North Bay are not quite as bad. I believe the guy who wrote the article "Why I hate Blacks" in the Asian weekly or whatever was because when he attended NYU and tried bringing that racist Asian **** to New York the whites and blacks gave him a taste of his own medicine by calling him ching chong and such. I guess he couldn't handle being out of the Oriental third reich bubble he was from.

Fortunately, not all of California is like this. LA is even o.k. even though there are those blessed poor Mexican illegal gang members attempting to ethnically cleanse blacks from the ghetto. Oh those liberals out there are just so on point. If America ever does become like California, we're sunk.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM

941 posts, read 1,271,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I most of all hate the selective liberal, selectively ignorant, stuck up, anti-black, bubble mentality that exists in San Francisco and even more so in the East Bay.
Your not the only person who's noticed that lately. There does seem to be some passive-aggressive anti-black sentiment in SF and the surrounding bay.

Its interesting more so than anything to me.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:09 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,732,860 times
The passive aggressive anti black mentality has been in SF since the early 1990's. Right when demographics changed from traditional middle class families to gays, yuppies, and the independently wealthy. Anyone who realizes all this stuff now is a day late and a dollar short in my opinion. I recognized this as a young teenager when I moved to California in the 1990's.

How ever in their subtle attempt to push "undesirables out" through cost of living, they have created a hot bed of homelessness that is not even rivaled by places like New York, Paris, or London.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,669,759 times
Hmm...I don't hate SF, but considering that he lives in Palo Alto and the tone is that SF isn't for him (as opposed to saying that everyone should hate SF), I do see where he is coming from on most of these. I'll admit that I'm annoyed by some of these too.

Quote:
1. NO LEFT TURNS
This annoyed me at first but by this point I know where it's not allowed & I see the reason for it. 19th Ave. is a mess, imagine how much worse it'd be if they allowed left turns. Heck, many times I just drive down 18th or 20th & skip 19th altogether.

Quote:
2. The lack of parking
It was my intention when moving here to not be annoyed by this as it is a city. However, it is worse than I expected in many areas, even areas where it's not convenient to take public transit to. So I'll give him this one.

Quote:
3. The plentiful supply of homeless people
This one too, especially. I would call the homeless a problem here. Some of them are nice but there's enough of them that are a complete trainwreck and even dangerous to be more than noticeable. In San Diego there were a number of homeless too but they weren't a 'problem.' The other day I was in Powell station and I literally had one right after another keep on coming up to me and asking for money - I saw them do the same to everyone else. One of them even started touching my screen when I was trying to buy a BART ticket!!!

They're also bringing public transit down. Many of them have hygiene issues and when they get on and move around and sit and breathe touch the rails on the bus they're turning it into a breeding ground for germs. This is one reason why I can barely stand Muni anymore. I can tolerate being on the bus at the same time as a homeless person per se but I can't tolerate it contributing to me getting sick. (And yes, I do wash my hands/etc.)

The city needs to do something about this. Stopping catering to them would be a good start.

Quote:
4. Hills, hills, hills--good for views, bad for safety
Well, this isn't really something that SF can control & I avoid the safety problem by just not driving in Chinatown or parts of the FiDi, or up Fillmore from the Marina. The hills in the rest of the city really aren't that bad. I love the views. I get a buzz every time I go over a hill and see the lights of thousands of houses or the skyline come up.

Quote:
5. Frequent events/protests/parades/festivals that snarl up traffic for no good reason whatsoever
He has a point. Someone should start bulldozing over those critical mass people, seriously. Risking your life just to snarl traffic is really one of the stupidest things I've heard of on so many levels and these people need to be out of the genepool. Though I don't mind the parades because most of them are on downtown Market St., where I don't drive, ever (and I don't recommend it). And on the flipside, the frequent concerts and festivals that take place in Golden Gate Park are great!

Quote:
6. The atrociously cold weather
Ok, this one is one where I have to go WTF because the weather in SF while not perfect (esp. if you're a hot weather person like me, and him too apparently) is NOWHERE near 'atrocious.' Try going to college in the Northeast and then telling me that SF is 'atriociously cold.' Compared to LA, or even Palo Alto, cold, yes, but compared to, well, most of the rest of the country it's barely considered 'cold' let alone 'atrocious'.

Quote:
7. The nutball politicians who run the joint
This isn't untrue but AFAIK this seems to be the same in just about every city at sometime and/or other.

Quote:
8. The crappy public transportation system, which only seems functional in comparison to the even worse nightmares in other cities. Being the smartest retard ain't something to be proud of.
He's hit the nail on the head on all counts here.

Quote:
9. Every miserable night on the town I've ever spent in SF, which seem to devolve into a Sisyphean quest to find "the" right bar or nightclub
Ok, I side with most of the comments on this thread. I've always had a good time every time I've gone out in SF and truly tried to have a good time. Where does he think the nightlife is better... Palo Alto?

Quote:
10. The smug, self-satisfied attitude of residents who are convinced that they live the greatest city in the world. It's the people who claim to love the environment, then commute to jobs in San Jose that really burn me up.
Smug, check. It cracked me up, still kind of does, and while it's good to have pride in your city here many, many residents take the smug-ness WAY too far such that it comes off as being insecure!

As far as having to commute to jobs in San Jose, well, to be honest I don't even know of that many people that do (although I do know they exist.) But if you like where you live and can find a better job an hour away, then why not? I personally would rather live here than there, but if I found a really good job there then I wouldn't rule out the possibility of commuting.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,403,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The passive aggressive anti black mentality has been in SF since the early 1990's. Right when demographics changed from traditional middle class families to gays, yuppies, and the independently wealthy. Anyone who realizes all this stuff now is a day late and a dollar short in my opinion. I recognized this as a young teenager when I moved to California in the 1990's.

How ever in their subtle attempt to push "undesirables out" through cost of living, they have created a hot bed of homelessness that is not even rivaled by places like New York, Paris, or London.
Yes, you're right. I lived in Oakland from 2001-2004 for school and it was in full swing by then. I moved from there to Seattle and then finally back to the NE where I was raised. The catch is, in uber trendy, educated and liberal Seattle it was way more racially tolerant (in all directions) then the Bay Area by a million miles. I'm in the suburbs of New York now and although not perfect, NY and it's suburbs are eons ahead of the Bay Area in it's treatment of blacks, the poor and your regular joe schmo for that matter.
WTF is up with the Bay Area? Makes no sense to a person whose lived in other places.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:58 PM

941 posts, read 1,271,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Yes, you're right. I lived in Oakland from 2001-2004 for school and it was in full swing by then. I moved from there to Seattle and then finally back to the NE where I was raised. The catch is, in uber trendy, educated and liberal Seattle it was way more racially tolerant (in all directions) then the Bay Area by a million miles. I'm in the suburbs of New York now and although not perfect, NY and it's suburbs are eons ahead of the Bay Area in it's treatment of blacks, the poor and your regular joe schmo for that matter.
WTF is up with the Bay Area? Makes no sense to a person whose lived in other places.
I wouldn't say its the "entire" Bay Area. Mainly just SF and possibly the surrounding area. Even parts of Oakland. I agree that overall, there are other areas that are much more tolerant and accepting of blacks such as New York. Even when I lived in the south in Texas and Georgia it seemed to be more tolerant.

It might have alot to do with class though. There is'nt a large black middle class, business owners, etc here and most blacks are thought to be lower class and "ghetto" and the perceptions that go along with that. There is a large black middle class in the south and northeast to balance out the welfare-lower class types.

In my opinion the type of liberalism you see in the Bay Area creates racism. It forces you to look at people in terms of groups instead of individuals. The result is that people don't even realize they are being racist and eventually develop a PC, passive aggressive hatred of certain groups such as blacks. They will claim not to be racist but will not associate with blacks at all in their personal lives due to their passive aggressive prejudices.

Check the Bay Area Craigslist personals listings. You'll see what I mean. "I'm not racist but I don't like black guys/girls" and variations on that theme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland