Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 PM

88 posts, read 251,876 times

Advertisements

1. NO LEFT TURNS

When I lived there, I could make left turns almost anywhere. Of course, everyone has already noted the exceptions.

2. The lack of parking

Typical of any dense urban area, but true.

3. The plentiful supply of homeless people

The majority of them mentally ill. Thanks Ronald Reagan for letting them all out on the streets. Last I checked there were plenty of homeless people on University Ave in Palo Alto, too.

4. Hills, hills, hills--good for views, bad for safety

Waa. I drove a stick on plenty of those hills. Its called not being an idiot.

5. Frequent events/protests/parades/festivals that snarl up traffic for no good reason whatsoever

Critical Mass sucks, but you can still walk.

6. The atrociously cold weather

Yeah 70 instead of 100 in July is indeed horrible.

7. The nutball politicians who run the joint

Don't nutjob politicians run pretty much every aspect of California politics?

8. The crappy public transportation system, which only seems functional in comparison to the even worse nightmares in other cities. Being the smartest retard ain't something to be proud of.

Muni buses are terrible. The rail is OK, however.

9. Every miserable night on the town I've ever spent in SF, which seem to devolve into a Sisyphean quest to find "the" right bar or nightclub

Get friends who are less lame. Better yet, buy a couple of bottles and go watch the ocean by the great highway. Cheaper and better views.

10. The smug, self-satisfied attitude of residents who are convinced that they live the greatest city in the world. It's the people who claim to love the environment, then commute to jobs in San Jose that really burn me up.

Hardly unique to urban dwellers, but a fair point.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,541 times
I live far,far away from SF,and I dont know why,but i always wanted to live in it...it's so nice !!!
I live in a very nice city but I want to live in u.s. ... oh yea,i need some help... pls ..
i live in a banja luka(dont ask me where is that .. lol)... im going to sweden on a coledge...and after that i want to move in america(sf,miami,nyc...)...so i was wondering what is needed to live in u.s. ?!!!
do i need a green card or something like that ... pls help ...

Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemanja_BL View Post
I live far,far away from SF,and I dont know why,but i always wanted to live in it...it's so nice !!!
I live in a very nice city but I want to live in u.s. ... oh yea,i need some help... pls ..
i live in a banja luka(dont ask me where is that .. lol)... im going to sweden on a coledge...and after that i want to move in america(sf,miami,nyc...)...so i was wondering what is needed to live in u.s. ?!!!
You might want to start a new thread on this...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 37,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Why do you care so much? You've already stated that you don't like the place and don't want to move here (nor have you even visited).
She can't afford it and wants to drive everywhere and park in a parking lot, so of course not hahaha.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 37,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemanja_BL View Post
i know someone from banja luka! who now in sweden too! used to live in vanassby.
anyway, you need to find WORK here first, ideally to sponsor you, deal with visas, and so on. Or marry an American who lives in SF!!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
I grew up in Maryland and had an uncle I'd only met once or twice who lived outside of San Francisco. My dad kept telling me when I was in college that after I finished, I should move to San Francisco because he thought I would really like it there. I was really negative about California, even though I'd never been there, so I kept telling I had no desire whatsoever to even visit.

Fast forward 8 years, and I decided to visit my uncle while my older brother was in the Bay Area on a business trip. Our uncle took us all over the city, down to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, to Santa Cruz, and Mt. Tam.

I went home and immediately started looking for a job out here. A year later I moved to SF and lived there happily for 18 years until a job relocation landed me in Davis. SF definitely has its irritants - like the trash on the streets (downtown Chicago's streets are spotless, so it CAN be done), the aggressive panhandlers, the insufficient parking. But these things are found in most major cities, even boring cities with nothing else to recommend them. But San Francisco also has some of the most sublime views of any city on earth, and amazing food, people, and cultural events.

I look back at my insistence to dislike California as a very immature, stubborn way to be. And I have to hand it to my dad for not saying, "I TOLD you so" when I decided to move. :

Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 AM

20 posts, read 62,120 times
1. NO LEFT TURNS

> This doesn't bother me, even though I once had to pay $500 for making a left turn when I shouldn't have.

2. The lack of parking

> This used to bother me a lot (I mean, who in his right mind, would drive around for 45 minutes just to find a parking space?), til I got used to it.

3. The plentiful supply of homeless people

> Not only is there a large population of homeless people here, but so many of them are so annoying and scary.

4. Hills, hills, hills--good for views, bad for safety

> This doesn't bother me, but then again, I never have to go near the hills.

5. Frequent events/protests/parades/festivals that snarl up traffic for no good reason whatsoever

> This doesn't bother me. I think it's actually nice that people feel they can voice their opinions so easily and so loudly whenever they disagree with something..

> So many people do not realize how friggin' cold it is here. I *never* leave home without a jacket..or 2. The weather here is always (ok, not always, but very often) one or more of the following: cold, windy, rainy, foggy. Avg temps throughout the year are in the 50s and 60s (not warm).

7. The nutball politicians who run the joint

> Yeah, I totally agree with this..but, it's the people here who vote them in, so..what does that say about the people who live here?

8. The crappy public transportation system, which only seems functional in comparison to the even worse nightmares in other cities. Being the smartest retard ain't something to be proud of.

> The transportation system is not *that* bad. I use it all the time.

9. Every miserable night on the town I've ever spent in SF, which seem to devolve into a Sisyphean quest to find "the" right bar or nightclub

> That's because this town is *very* cliquish. You can't start up a conversation with anyone unless you belong to their circle of friends.

10. The smug, self-satisfied attitude of residents who are convinced that they live the greatest city in the world. It's the people who claim to love the environment, then commute to jobs in San Jose that really burn me up.

> Totally agree with you here. I think it's just people "drinking the cool-aid", that is, they believe it just 'cause others say they believe it.

Also, don't forget:

1 - the bike riders, so many of whom pretend that traffic laws don't exist, and
2 - the really sad nightlife after 2am

I only stay here because my family is here and because my well-paying job is here. Even with those things, I still entertain the idea of leaving SF..

Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,496 times
Quote:
What kind of wuss put this list together?

This is funny though:
Quote:
"Norm Macdonald, on SNL, said it best in this 5/17/1997 Weekend Update: "In San Francisco last week, a birthday party for one of the area's leading political figures, attended by the city's Mayor, Sheriff, and members of the board of supervisors, culminated with a performance in which a dominatrix used a razor blade to carve a satanic star into the back of her male partner, then urinated on him, before finally sodomizing the man with a liquor bottle. After learning of the incident from press reports, San Franciscans expressed shock and outrage that the liquor bottle was not recycled.""

Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 AM

4 posts, read 12,846 times
Maybe someone left their heart in San Francisco?

My Mom did some evil things to me in San Francisco, so I moved away and never came back.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:38 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerbaron View Post
Yes, it's been this way for over 20 years now.....maybe even longer. I'm not sure even SoCA has that many hot chicks anymore.

Anywhere there are beach bunnies, ie coastal san diego, la, oc, there will be good looking woman. Unfortunatly this is like 2% of californians. The good looking woman thing is definatly a myth, unless you are at an Angels game. I found woman in SF didn't really know how to dress best to show their best features. Lots of hipsters, hippies and grungo's who have no sense of style. A good couple of years out east would have probably straightend their senses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland