Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 21,127 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please give me some information on this area? My son's looking to rent a studio in this area and I am trying to learn as much information as possible before he commits as his safety is of paramount importance to myself and him. I live overseas so any help you offer would be greatly appreciated.

There is a BART commute involved here from the McArthur BART station to San Francisco where he works and some of it may involve evenings. How safe is this in the evenings as he'll have to walk a good 15 minutes or so to get back and forth from the bart station according to google map?

I would be very grateful for any help and the sooner the better so he can make the right decision as he'll be viewing tomorrow. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM

I forgot to mention the two locations he's considering are :
1. Opal Street at 42nd Street and
2. 40th St

Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Temescal is fun and safe. The BART station is not. He may want to catch a transbay bus instead.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Sonarrat, how late do the transbay busses run and are they the same as MUNI?

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,244,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Temescal is fun and safe. The BART station is not.
Safe is relative. There are certainly safer neighborhoods in the Bay Area, and certainly ones that are much less safe. I drive through this area regularly in the daytime, rarely after dark, and never feel unsafe. But in my opinion if safety is of paramount importance I would look elsewhere. Also, generally BART stations are safe, but this one is in a dodgy neighborhood. One of five or six I would not make regular use of.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
I dont think the Macarthur BART station is bad.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 PM

655 posts, read 1,982,838 times
Except for late night trips, MacArthur is fine---it gets enough daytime use that it's not a problem. (It's the primary BART station for three major hospitals, the City of Emeryville's business shuttles, the Caltrans bike shuttle from SF, and countless corporate shuttles, so there are literally always people coming and going during the day.) Late night *can* be sketchy simply because the area empties out, but many people do it with no trouble. If your son is open to biking, that can be a great solution for days when he knows the trip will be late, since the problem is more the streets/parking around the station than the station itself. The Transbay bus in that area doesn't run past commute hours, though he does have the option of BARTing to Rockridge and taking a local bus from there (longer trip but no sketchy walk). Telegraph Avenue near BART is beginning to have more restaurants and such, though, and the walk will be much better once more is going on there at night---you can walk straight up Telegraph to 42nd, and 42nd itself is fine---mostly residential.

The neighborhood itself is gentrifying, but still a bit gritty on that end; I like the vibe, though (as do lots and lots of hipster kids and young families, so it's crawling with them).

Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 AM

If he were to look at areas either close to or at Lake Merritt for a rental and had to commute from the Lake Merritt BART station, would that be a less dodgy neighbourhood?

BTW, many thanks to the posters who have responded. Your insight is invaluable. : )

Old 05-09-2009, 01:07 PM

655 posts, read 1,982,838 times
It depends on where along the lake---some of it (north/east) is safer, and some of it (south/southeast/west) is about the same. The area around Lake Merritt BART has similar challenges late at night for the same reasons (not much happening in the immediate area after hours). He might consider looking on the side of the lake closer to 19th Street BART---that station feels safe to me at night, particularly now that there's a lot more going on in the neighborhood near it. Alternatively, the Transbay bus that runs to the Grand Lake neighborhood (top of the lake where Grand and Lakeshore Aves hit) runs regularly (inc. weekends and evenings) so that's an option if he's commuting to somewhere near the San Francisco station (Mission and 3rd/SOMA neighborhood). If not, it can be a pain to get to on the San Francisco end.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:47 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,244,943 times
If I wanted to live in Oakland, work in SF, use minimal or no car, live in an safe, happening place with an excellent social scene and easy access to BART, I'd live in Rockridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland