U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:21 AM

937 posts, read 1,181,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Oh my blessed Bay Area. A very complex and confusing place for an outsider.
Bay Area liberals (white ones) treat immigrants (illegal as well) better than the established poor black population by a margin of 100/1. Case in point, while I lived in the Bay Area I resided in Montclair in Oakland (beautiful village in the hills) and after a few months I started to recognize faces in the village. I saw a black guy once heading in to a drug store and litteraly saw a group of women openly give him a disgusted look (never saw that anywhere I've lived across the country) and grabbed their purses so obvious it appeared intentional to send a message or something. I really felt sorry for that poor guy because when I went inside and just happened to be behind him in line at the cash register, he appeared shaken and his voice was cracking and his head down. On the way out one of the ladies was sitting and waiting for her prescription I guess and again she fired flamethrowers out of her eyes at him and grabbed her purse. I couldn't take it, I looked at her and told her to relax and does she realize she lives in Oakland for gods sake. She sneered at me and everyone in the store in earshot looked at me like I was some kind of rabblerouser. I honestly was like WTF!?!?!? Haldol anyone... Here's the funny part.

A month later at that same store I saw the same guy and different people in the store with us. He was wearing a shirt with JAMAICA on it and the lady behind him was clutching her purse of course (Montclair is purse clutching capital of the world imo). He half turned around and she saw his shirt, immeadiately smiled, stopped clutching her purse and greeted him and complimented him on his cool shirt and was he from there. Male, African-American non-immigrants who aren't millionaires are litteraly, in your face treated with massive hostility. Now these are people who voted for Obaba, support gay marriage, donate to charities to feed poor African children. If this is not hypocrisy and some sort of mass mental disorder they don't have name for yet, than I don't know what else it could be.

People like to say the Bay Area is elitest. I've walked through with black friends in some of the wealthiest areas of this country. (Worth ave Palm Beach, Madison Ave on the Upper East side, Miracle Mile Chicago, Walnut st Philadelphia, La Jolla, Beverly Hills, Laguna Beach, Bellevue Square in WA, Newburry st in Boston and Boca Raton and not even close did the nastiness come than what I saw in the East Bay. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

Wealthy Asians may be coming in, but all they contribute overall is their wealth and I don't know about the rest of you, that is not enough. They need to not only assimilate to "White America". They need to understand ALL of America and many of these are obvious to them but ignored. With this attitude they contribute to fragmentation of our society which has been trying so hard for the last 50 years to unite us. $$ steps forward and steps back.

Unless California comes to grips with this, it is a doomed state and all it needed was the spark of a great recession to ignite and burn down. I hope for the best though, but these people seem to not want to change. Is that liberal????
"My Blessed Bay Area" lol.

The Bay Area can have a really a unique and interesting form of racism. An unspoken "say one thing and do the other" or "not in my backyard" sort of racism. The type of racism that can come only from self-styled "liberals". I believe I saw a bay area Craigslist personal ad the other day of a woman saying she was "educated, liberal and will date white guys only" or something to that effect. Pretty oxymoronic type of stuff.

Lots of folks here will proclaim themselves to be "enlightened" and "progressive" but in their actions will do exactly the opposite. I routinely for example, gas guzzling landrovers with "go green" bumper stickers on them. That kind of stuff. Really funny types live here.

Last edited by BayDude; 06-13-2009 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 12:52 PM

88 posts, read 155,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
"My Blessed Bay Area" lol.

The Bay Area can have a really a unique and interesting form of racism. An unspoken "say one thing and do the other" or "not in my backyard" sort of racism. The type of racism that can come only from self-styled "liberals". I believe I saw a bay area Craigslist personal ad the other day of a woman saying she was "educated, liberal and will date white guys only" or something to that effect. Pretty oxymoronic type of stuff.

Lots of folks here will proclaim themselves to be "enlightened" and "progressive" but in their actions will do exactly the opposite. I routinely for example, gas guzzling landrovers with "go green" bumper stickers on them. That kind of stuff. Really funny types live here.
That one one of those things about my time there that I found remarkably off putting.

I still remember sometime in 06 when Habitat for Humanity wanted to build three houses at the end of an isolated road and the residents of Tiburon were up in arms complaining about how it would, ahem, increase traffic.

As for the Craigslist post, I'll probably feel like hiding after typing this, but I'd bet the woman posting that was Asian.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 PM

10,129 posts, read 12,699,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailofdogma View Post
That one one of those things about my time there that I found remarkably off putting.

I still remember sometime in 06 when Habitat for Humanity wanted to build three houses at the end of an isolated road and the residents of Tiburon were up in arms complaining about how it would, ahem, increase traffic.
The hypocritical thing about that H4H project was some of the people opposing it actually volunteered and worked for H4H. They liked helping poor people except when it meant them living closer.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:12 PM

937 posts, read 1,181,816 times
Quote:
As for the Craigslist post, I'll probably feel like hiding after typing this, but I'd bet the woman posting that was Asian.
She as a matter of fact was Asian. Your right 60% of ads like that would probably be asian women. But I see it with white, hispanic even black women lol all the time. Just check the personals section, you'll see what I mean.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:53 PM

13,365 posts, read 10,648,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Southern CA, especially the LA region, has A LOT more Hispanics than the Bay Area, as well a lot more illegal immigrants. When you don't live around as many and see the effects of illegals as much then you're not going to be as bothered by it as much. You just don't see the crap that you do down here up there when it comes to illegal immigrants, such as smuggling boats washing ashore, tunnels being found, van loads of illegals being chased, etc.... Throw the Bay Area down next to the border and it would be much different I guarantee it. Different experiences produce different views.

Also don't confuse peoples feelings towards immigrants in general with their feelings towards illegal immigrants b/c there is a huge difference. Many different immigrant groups have assimilated into SoCal very well, just look at Beverly Hills.

That is definitely a two way street there. Northern Californians complain about SoCal's politics and just everything else about it more so including its illegals all the time, Orange County being a particular favorite target.

People give to much weight to political ideologies and their affect on society and try to simply something that is much more complicated. To say a place is wealthier or better off b/c it's more liberal also means that places are more violent and have more crime b/c they are liberal too and the such. The whole red state/county/city vs blue state/county/city is so overplayed and simplified.
All excellent points...especially the one about the fact that there aren't as many illegals in the Bay Area as in SoCal.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM

7,778 posts, read 8,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Oh my blessed Bay Area. A very complex and confusing place for an outsider.
Bay Area liberals (white ones) treat immigrants (illegal as well) better than the established poor black population by a margin of 100/1. Case in point, while I lived in the Bay Area I resided in Montclair in Oakland (beautiful village in the hills) and after a few months I started to recognize faces in the village. I saw a black guy once heading in to a drug store and litteraly saw a group of women openly give him a disgusted look (never saw that anywhere I've lived across the country) and grabbed their purses so obvious it appeared intentional to send a message or something. I really felt sorry for that poor guy because when I went inside and just happened to be behind him in line at the cash register, he appeared shaken and his voice was cracking and his head down. On the way out one of the ladies was sitting and waiting for her prescription I guess and again she fired flamethrowers out of her eyes at him and grabbed her purse. I couldn't take it, I looked at her and told her to relax and does she realize she lives in Oakland for gods sake. She sneered at me and everyone in the store in earshot looked at me like I was some kind of rabblerouser. I honestly was like WTF!?!?!? Haldol anyone... Here's the funny part.

A month later at that same store I saw the same guy and different people in the store with us. He was wearing a shirt with JAMAICA on it and the lady behind him was clutching her purse of course (Montclair is purse clutching capital of the world imo). He half turned around and she saw his shirt, immeadiately smiled, stopped clutching her purse and greeted him and complimented him on his cool shirt and was he from there. Male, African-American non-immigrants who aren't millionaires are litteraly, in your face treated with massive hostility. Now these are people who voted for Obaba, support gay marriage, donate to charities to feed poor African children. If this is not hypocrisy and some sort of mass mental disorder they don't have name for yet, than I don't know what else it could be.

People like to say the Bay Area is elitest. I've walked through with black friends in some of the wealthiest areas of this country. (Worth ave Palm Beach, Madison Ave on the Upper East side, Miracle Mile Chicago, Walnut st Philadelphia, La Jolla, Beverly Hills, Laguna Beach, Bellevue Square in WA, Newburry st in Boston and Boca Raton and not even close did the nastiness come than what I saw in the East Bay. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

Wealthy Asians may be coming in, but all they contribute overall is their wealth and I don't know about the rest of you, that is not enough. They need to not only assimilate to "White America". They need to understand ALL of America and many of these are obvious to them but ignored. With this attitude they contribute to fragmentation of our society which has been trying so hard for the last 50 years to unite us. $$ steps forward and steps back.

Unless California comes to grips with this, it is a doomed state and all it needed was the spark of a great recession to ignite and burn down. I hope for the best though, but these people seem to not want to change. Is that liberal????
The new "in groups" in the Bay Area:
- Whites with an Ivy League pedigree, raised in the "right places" back East (and the various pretenders to this)
- Professional class Asian immigrants
- Old money Asian immigrants
- P__s poor Latino immigrants (e.g. the servants)

The out groups:
- Middle and lower class whites (especially native Californians and others who are obviously, based on manner, etc, from the Western US)
- Blacks
- Native born Latinos
- Other middle class groups who don't "fit in" with the neo-Sex and the City wannabe crowd

Old 06-15-2009, 03:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailofdogma View Post

Many Asians are worst than the racist white supremacist. They go out their way to be accepted by whites which is one reason you'll see more Asian women dating white men than Asian women dating Asian men. Especially in San Francisco and New York two area's with false tolerance .

Old 06-15-2009, 05:56 PM

24,616 posts, read 30,034,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Many Asians are worst than the racist white supremacist.
I don't think Asians would go to the extreme that Racist Whites have gone to in this country. I just can't see that happening.

On the other hand, I agree that Asians are very racist, but moreso among immigrants than US Born Asians.

Quote:
They go out their way to be accepted by whites
As a person of color who agrees with this statement, I have to say that I am very annoyed by what seems like @sskissing by my Asian brothers and sisters of color(LOL) to white people. Or maybe they see the value in assimilating? Who knows.

I will say this. I think it depends on location, because Asians in Oakland are definitely not Abercrombie and Fitch worshippers like their suburban counterparts-they pretty much match the vibe of Oakland-define that however you want.

Quote:
which is one reason you'll see more Asian women dating white men than Asian women dating Asian men.
Also, white men really dig asian women. This is my observation after living in SF and NY.

Quote:
Especially in San Francisco and New York two area's with false tolerance .
They are unaware of how intolerant they can be.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM

24,616 posts, read 30,034,377 times
Anyway,
Im a Polynesian and live in Upper Rockridge. Moved here about 2 months ago and really like it. My first preference was Cleveland Heights(the neighborhood behind Oakland High) but none of the homes I liked there were for sale so I settled for this neighborhood.

I have to say that in the time I've been here, I don't sense racism, overtly or subtlely, at all. In fact, I've long contended that White People in Oakland are among the coolest white people around. Usually, they are very well educated, very well traveled and quite concious of the world around them. This translates into how they treat others.

Obviously there are jerks, but I have been very lucky to not encounter any thusfar.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't think Asians would go to the extreme that Racist Whites have gone to in this country. I just can't see that happening.

On the other hand, I agree that Asians are very racist, but moreso among immigrants than US Born Asians.

As a person of color who agrees with this statement, I have to say that I am very annoyed by what seems like @sskissing by my Asian brothers and sisters of color(LOL) to white people. Or maybe they see the value in assimilating? Who knows.

I will say this. I think it depends on location, because Asians in Oakland are definitely not Abercrombie and Fitch worshippers like their suburban counterparts-they pretty much match the vibe of Oakland-define that however you want.

Also, white men really dig asian women. This is my observation after living in SF and NY.

They are unaware of how intolerant they can be.
I meant racist as in their views not as far as taking violent action. But I agree with just about everything else you said I'm married to an Asian and she agree's with me. We talk about this all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland