U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 PM
NJT NJT started this thread

11 posts, read 61,979 times
Default Easy way to get to Muir Woods?

Hello,

I will be in San Francisco this weekend (by the intercontinental hotel, Howard Street) and was wondering if someone could offer some advice (fool-proof is preferable on taking public transportation to the Golden Gate Bridge and Muir Woods (Heard of Route 66 Muir Woods Shuttle, but how would I get to it?)

Any help would be appreciated as I am going this weekend.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,906 posts, read 40,259,380 times
I really do not know the best way short of renting a car for the day, but you may want to check tour companies, I am sure there is some tour that would include Muir Woods. No trip to SFO is complete without a visit to Muir Woods if you haven't been there before.

Nita

Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM

2,489 posts, read 3,382,113 times
I think half the fun of Muir Woods is driving there via Route 1 from 101. I am an experienced cross-country driver who has spent a lot of time behind the wheel on some of the more challenging roads in North America, so I drove it pretty fast to the sheer delight of my passengers, and it ended up being one of my favorite parts as you fly into near 90-degree turns and others which are just a lot of fun as you wind through the mountains. If you have a rental car, I'd highly recommending taking the 101-N out of SF. If you go down through Sausalito on 101/1, 1 exits at Bolinas Street/Muir Woods - simply follow the signs on 1/Shoreline Hwy until you see an exit for Muir Woods Rd. It's a fun, 20-minute drive.

I don't know much about the tours/shuttles but there was a lot of information on Google. Muir Woods Tours from San Francisco This seemed like it had alot of information on Muir Woods and it seemed like they picked you up and dropped you off at your hotel.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,350,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJT View Post
Hello,

I will be in San Francisco this weekend (by the intercontinental hotel, Howard Street) and was wondering if someone could offer some advice (fool-proof is preferable on taking public transportation to the Golden Gate Bridge and Muir Woods (Heard of Route 66 Muir Woods Shuttle, but how would I get to it?)

Any help would be appreciated as I am going this weekend.

Thanks!
Take the ferry to Sausalito and Route 66 to Muir Woods. Note the very limited schedules back to the ferry in Sausalito.

Sausalito Ferry

http://goldengate.org/news/transit/d...6_Brochure.pdf

Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM

7,876 posts, read 9,560,630 times
Rent a bike!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:05 PM

56 posts, read 120,663 times
You should do a google search on bus tours to muir woods. You can get to the bridge by bus 29 or 28, and I know there are buses which serve marin county etc but I don't know of any that go directly to muir woods. We've only driven there but looked into doing a bus tour when the MIL was in town. Enjoy your stay, its quite cool and a tad muggy here at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland