Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,994 times

Advertisements

I have been given a huge opportunity by my company to move out to SF office on California St. I am a New Yorker even though I went to school in Vermont and have lived in Allentown, PA and Baltimore, MD, as well as Boston, MA. but really I'm a NYC boy. Even though I can drive, I don't usually drive and my wife does our driving with our 17 month old.

CRITICALLY, MY WIFE WANTS A PhD or PsyD and we are not at all familiar with what is good out there because she has focused so much on programs in NYC.

We are thinking about taking the chance and moving out to SF. I am told I can live pretty well for the same $1950 we pay now, but I have no clue as to where to look that will be good for our family and not too rough in commuting for me and will still allow for her to pursue her degree.

Of course, we appreciate the conveniences NYC has offered (stores open all hours, wildly diverse food and people) but we think the move could offer us, (our family and the dog too)things NYC does not-- like a backyard in exchange for some of those conveniences.

MYQUSETION IS-- CAN YOU SUGGEST SOME PLACES TO LOOK TO LIVE so I can still take BART or Muni that won't kill me AND where my gal can still complete her doctorate?

Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Berkeley (Univ. of Cal) or the Rockridge section of Oakland. Both are on the BART line. I'm not sure about finding a rental with a back yard for $1950.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,051 times
$1950 doesn't necessarily get you a whole lot in the City. What type of place are you looking for?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 PM
ANC

24 posts, read 79,362 times
We live in a tiny 1-bedroom apartment just outside the city in a cheaper area. We're paying almost $1,800 a month for what is little more than a closet. You'll be able to get a studio or maybe a small 1-bedroom unit in San Francisco for that. The more family-oriented areas cost a good deal more. Whoever told you you can live pretty well on $1,950 per month with a child in what I presume you'd want to be a family area is simply wrong. I hate to break it to you. And if you're hoping for even a teeny private piece of grass that's not even a yard, you may as well ask the sky to rain chocolate pudding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland