Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 03:59 AM

701 posts, read 2,023,946 times

Advertisements

I was flipping through the latest issue of "Men's Journal" magazine and there was a section in there featuring interesting neighborhoods in some of the bigger cities of the states. Dogpatch was the first one listed. Apparently it used to be a haven to Hell's Angels and there's some other history to the area.

Is it a neat place??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 AM

370 posts, read 860,189 times
Dogpatch is still what they call a transitional or "up and coming" area.

It has a lot of positives (good weather, freeway access, etc) but it's still an area that will take time to improve.

For example, there are still a lot of warehouses and industrial buildings and not as many places to live, eat, or shop as other parts of the city. It also does not have good public transit, although that is improving with the addition of the Muni Line.

When i looked, it wasn't much cheaper than other parts of SF that had those same amenities.

I still think Dogpatch will grow given the addition of new UCSF Hospital and all the construction they are doing by the Ballpark, which is very close to Dogpatch. It has potential to be much more, but probably will take another 5-10 years.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,450,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
I was flipping through the latest issue of "Men's Journal" magazine and there was a section in there featuring interesting neighborhoods in some of the bigger cities of the states. Dogpatch was the first one listed. Apparently it used to be a haven to Hell's Angels and there's some other history to the area.

Is it a neat place??
Define "neat." It has its own mystique I guess, but I wouldn't really call it particularly desirable. I work there, so I'm pretty familiar with it. It's a small neighborhood, and the SF Hell's Angels clubhouse is still there. The center of activity is right around 3rd St/22nd St and there are a few bars and restaurants in the area.

Its pretty no-frills as far as SF neighborhoods go (Potrero Hill is right next to it and has much more to offer), but in a way its nice since its off the radar. And it is very accessible by public transportation. Caltrain (22nd St Station) and Muni (T-line light rail, the 48 and the 24) give you direct access to each side of it. So I guess it is kinda cool, but I wouldn't tell you to expect to much. Just my two cents.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,957,234 times
Hmmm, I must be getting old or something..I've never heard of this new, made up neighborhood.

I've been reading a lot about real estate agents changing/enhancing/making up new names for neighborhoods recently in the Chron..I'm guessing this is one of them?

Back when the Hell's Angels had a prevalence in the City and Norcal when I was young I was told not to look at them because they killed people. I didn't know that their history/neighborhood would become cool and hangouts desirable. It certainly wasn't cool back then and San Franciscans were fearful of the heavy drug/and consequent violence.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:48 PM

370 posts, read 860,189 times
no this area has been around for a while, but it's sort of in the middle of no where by SF standards.

It's east of Potrero Hill, South of The Ballpark, and north of Bayview/Hunter's Point. 3rd Street is probably the main demarcation line for Dogpatch.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,957,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
no this area has been around for a while, but it's sort of in the middle of no where by SF standards.

It's east of Potrero Hill, South of The Ballpark, and north of Bayview/Hunter's Point. 3rd Street is probably the main demarcation line for Dogpatch.
Oh, okay (I think I know where that is now), most people had no reason to venture out THAT far! I had to go out there once when I had to collect my car after it was towed and the door locks broken by the "City Tow"!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 PM
ANC

24 posts, read 79,201 times
It's nothing to write home about or go out of your way to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland