Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,050,027 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to the Bay Area, I lived in the city and commuted to Santa Rosa. It got real old real fast. There's no way around it. Driving is the only realistic option since transit will take about 4 hours due to your reverse commute. As far as expecting traffic to be better due to the reverse commute... nope. I haven't done that commute for over 20 years and it was a nightmare back then. With about 3 times as many cars due to massive growth in the nineties, I'm guessing it hasn't improved. They have widened the 101 in Marin county but the Golden Gate Bridge is still the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,979,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
When I first moved to the Bay Area, I lived in the city and commuted to Santa Rosa. It got real old real fast. There's no way around it. Driving is the only realistic option since transit will take about 4 hours due to your reverse commute. As far as expecting traffic to be better due to the reverse commute... nope. I haven't done that commute for over 20 years and it was a nightmare back then. With about 3 times as many cars due to massive growth in the nineties, I'm guessing it hasn't improved. They have widened the 101 in Marin county but the Golden Gate Bridge is still the same.
Well, 20 years ago it is a long time ago. They have added lanes in San Rafael, Santa Rosa, Rohnert Park, a HUGE improvement since the last 4 years even.
But true that overall, it ain't no picnic.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Awesome... I hope to be able to say the same myself in a few years (professorship at a Bay Area school)

That being said yeah...the commute is probably pretty bad the route you are going (coming back). I have noticed it is better in the morning, and not a big deal outside of rush hour. Maybe you should seek elsewhere in Sonoma County? I just moved out here and traffic is a piece of cake, was in Petaluma yesterday and albeit it is comparatively nice and clean, it is no SF obviously. We can do Sebastopol to SF in about 1h10m on a good day. And there are a few back roads where there isn't much traffic and great scenery.

As for Sonoma County, as another poster said... I wouldn't get depressed about being there... it is very nice, many things to do with a lot of natural beauty and outdoors wonders, and you can always go into the city when you need to fulfill the urge. That is our plan for the next year or so anyway... but then we are moving into the city proper when we have had time to research the real estate market there better.

Once you get into Marin is where you run into the problems.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:36 PM

16 posts, read 51,193 times
Thanks folks. I feel better about living in Rohnert Park for the year and as for next year, I think I will indeed stay on the north bay. Given the incredible cuts to the UC and Cal state systems, I am going play it safe and safe moving to the city for tenure.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
good decision, are the cuts official and finalized yet? if so do you have a press release? I would be interested in taking a peak.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 AM

nothing final yet. But the estimate is about 500 million deficit to CSU and 800 million deficit for UC. Here is a letter from SSU's president, letting us know what's in store. But hey, at least I got a job

SSU Budget Central, 2009 (http://www.sonoma.edu/uaffairs/budgetcentral.shtml - broken link)

Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,343 times
Would you enjoy being a special guest instead of staying in a hotel or dorm environment? Would you like to be able to relax after a tiring day of work and study and not be have roommate responsibilties for housecare, etc.? Would you like privacy that includes a room and private bath? Do you need to go home on weekends and only need a room for the week? Would you like to be only 2 miles from Sonoma State University and be able to ride your bike to class and avoid parking fees? Then this situation maybe perfect for you.

I am looking to rent to a Sonoma State University commuting student, university faculty member or? - for at least three nights a week for $390 a month (a fourth night will make the rent $450) between Monday and Friday. Weekends are not available at this time.

Includes;

1. Completely furnished room with queen bed, large wrap-around desk and closet - all bed linens included

2. Private Bath - soaps, towels and mats included

3. Housekeeping every two weeks

4. Wireless broadband internet

5. All utilities

6. Use of microwave, kitchen utensils and refrigerator

7. Respect for your privacy

8. Use of the media area to watch TV, chat or munch on food

9. Occasional overnights of partner or spouse.

My home is comfortable, aesthetically pleasing and generally quiet.
I prefer a mature (not age but attitude) person who needs an easy environment to support their studies and time off.

Once the room is rented there will be two adults sharing a 3 bedroom 1700square foot home.

The rent is monthly whether you use the room or not and requires a deposit of one month's rent ($390 or $450 depending how many nights you are staying).

There is a Siamese cat named Peeper who is in charge, so if you don’t like felines, have a pet of your own or are allergic this situation is not for you.

The room will be available starting October 12th. However, you can view the room sooner by appointment.

If you are interested or have questions I haven’t answered, please contact via email. Some type of references will be required.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM

358 posts, read 1,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
It's not that bad, although it is about an hour. Folks from the East Bay always make it sound like Sonoma County is a million miles away...which of course is so NOT the truth!
Its an hour (Oakland to Rohnert Park) without traffic. I agree, Sonoma County is not that far "out there", but for a daily commute, it can be rather tiresome.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 PM

update on the commute issue. I find out why so many faculty live in SF and the east bay and commute. They only come on the days they teach (2-3 days a week) and carpool.

For me, I have fallen in love with Sonoma County and love my 5 minute walk to work!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM

94 posts, read 212,943 times
It's all okay pretty much until you hit San Rafael, and then driving up here turns to ****. Be prepared to constantly be braking and to be wanting to ram everyone off the road and to go 10 mph under the speed limit.

Everyone up here enjoys pissing you off by driving as slowly as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland