Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,992 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm moving to San Francisco in July. I've heard a lot of mixed things about the Mission, from naive to neurotic, and the main conclusion I've come to is that it's a very spotty neighborhood (good areas mixed in with dangerous ones.) I've lived in Cleveland and had my car stolen and apartment burglarized before. I'm not looking to repeat that experience, but I know what it is like to live in a city.

I found a very promising apartment (good size, "good" price) on S. Van Ness near 22nd. I have to commute to my studio in Potrero Hill everyday, and that was one of my reasons behind looking in the Mission.

Does anyone have any advice about personal safety in this area? I'm hoping to commute primarily by bicycle and, like most people, would like to avoid or at least lower my chances of being mugged.

Thanks guys I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 AM

96 posts, read 309,341 times
That would be inner mission actually. I lived on 22nd @ South Van Ness a few years ago and loved it. It is a bit different than west of Valencia (more hispanic and working class families, less hipsters). I think it's a fun, diverse neighborhood with access to everything, but I'm sure others may feel differently.

Crime does occur around there, but you're generally fine if you're not involved with the feuds/illicit activities. As for a car, I haven't had one here, but I'd imagine the chance of something happening to it would be relatively high. The same could be said about most SF neighborhoods. Ignore both the naive and the neurotic, use common sense, and enjoy the neighborhood IMO.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNYC View Post
That would be inner mission actually. I lived on 22nd @ South Van Ness a few years ago and loved it. It is a bit different than west of Valencia (more hispanic and working class families, less hipsters). I think it's a fun, diverse neighborhood with access to everything, but I'm sure others may feel differently.

Crime does occur around there, but you're generally fine if you're not involved with the feuds/illicit activities. As for a car, I haven't had one here, but I'd imagine the chance of something happening to it would be relatively high. The same could be said about most SF neighborhoods. Ignore both the naive and the neurotic, use common sense, and enjoy the neighborhood IMO.
Just don't flash any provocative colors and you'll be ok. Don't leave anything visible in your vehicle (common sense) and you shouldnt run into too much trouble.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNYC View Post

I'll third that. South Van Ness can be a busier street sound wise, but other than that common sense/ street smarts is your friend, you'll be fine.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
It's definitely got a barrio feel there, north of Cesar Chavez and East of Mission. Somewhat gentrified over the past 15 - 20 years (it was a real barrio when one of my friends lived there during the late 80s).

Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM

785 posts, read 1,049,721 times
I just said the same thing to someone else that I'm about to tell you. The Mission has its share of gangs, drugs, murders ect. But as long as you don't get caught up in that, you should be fine. The Mission isn't like one of those neighboorhoods where the people from there can tell if your from there or not and, if your not, beat you down and rob you. It's a very diverse area and people go there from all over the city to eat, drink and party, so almost anyone fits in. I'd say go for it, just be careful if your on Cesar Chavez st. or oustide of either one of the BART stations.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Homicides in San Francisco 2007/2008/2009 (http://www.sfgate.com/maps/sfhomicides/ - broken link)
the sfgate homicide map shows 17 murders in a 4 blosck radius of that intersection in the last 2.5 years

Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Just don't flash any provocative colors and you'll be ok. Don't leave anything visible in your vehicle (common sense) and you shouldnt run into too much trouble.
So you can end up being murdered just because of the color of clothing you wear, gee sounds like a real safe area.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 PM
E14

147 posts, read 545,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
So you can end up being murdered just because of the color of clothing you wear, gee sounds like a real safe area.
city living is not for you
keep your sheltered ass in the suburbs
scrawny pale people such as yourself would never be mistaken for a gang member and therefore you could wear whatever you want
for those of us who have some pigment and/or muscle, colors become somewhat of an issue. Im white, but sometimes mistaken for hispanic. I just try not to wear all clothes of the same color, and haven't had any issues. I'm in fruitvale more than the city, but its probably a similar situation in the mission.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
You'll be fine. Just fine. There's a bus right on 24th that'll take you into Potrero if you feel not so comfortable riding, or if you just feel too tired. I've even walked down 24th from the Mission into Potrero at 2AM. Keep common wits and it's really not that big a deal. If your office is near 16th just ride down 16th. There's too much street traffic for anyone to screw with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland