Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 667 times

Advertisements

Hello Sandra,

Thank you for sharing the info with us. This is totally what i want with my family too. I love the weather from SSF too. do you mind to tell me more of the details in the email? how to proceed with this? will really appricated.

Best Regards,

Kiki

My husband and I used to live in a 1-bedroom in a 4-plex; our apartment was pleasant, but small, and at 1,100.00, more than we wanted to spend. We searched in South San Francisco, and found a mobile home in a park that we could afford. Between the lot rent and our loan payment, we still pay less than we did in the apartment, AND we have much more privacy. We also have more space; we have a fully-functioning laundry room, and our pets. We don't have parking issues, transit is close and easy, and shopping is very close or close.
Our unit won't appreciate, true. There are tradeoffs to everything. One of the neatest things though, to owning our home, is the fact that we can make alterations, upgrade, anything we can afford to do to make our home OURS. You can't do that easily in an apartment.
We've been content here, but because of my husband's line of work, the economy has not been kind to us. Even so, our living arrangements allow us to live in comfort, when some others are losing their homes. If the mobile home park were to be sold, we could move our mobile home, or sell to the park owners, if we chose to.
We love the weather and opportunities here. All the same, we'll be moving as soon as we sell our home, to find opportunities outside of California. We long for open spaces and breathing room. So, if you're looking to live in the Bay Area on the cheap, contact me here.
Sandra[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:59 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraroof View Post
Hello! As a person living in the Bay Area, I can tell you first-hand about
living in a mobile home here.

My husband and I used to live in a 1-bedroom in a 4-plex; our apartment was pleasant, but small, and at 1,100.00, more than we wanted to spend. We searched in South San Francisco, and found a mobile home in a park that we could afford. Between the lot rent and our loan payment, we still pay less than we did in the apartment, AND we have much more privacy. We also have more space; we have a fully-functioning laundry room, and our pets. We don't have parking issues, transit is close and easy, and shopping is very close or close.
Our unit won't appreciate, true. There are tradeoffs to everything. One of the neatest things though, to owning our home, is the fact that we can make alterations, upgrade, anything we can afford to do to make our home OURS. You can't do that easily in an apartment.
We've been content here, but because of my husband's line of work, the economy has not been kind to us. Even so, our living arrangements allow us to live in comfort, when some others are losing their homes. If the mobile home park were to be sold, we could move our mobile home, or sell to the park owners, if we chose to.
We love the weather and opportunities here. All the same, we'll be moving as soon as we sell our home, to find opportunities outside of California. We long for open spaces and breathing room. So, if you're looking to live in the Bay Area on the cheap, contact me here.
Sandra
I've been really surprised as to how well-designed and well-constructed some mobile homes are. It depends on the manufacturer, but here in NM, I've seen ones that require almost no heat in winter, if the main windows are facing south. They're super well-insulated, and stay toasty even with snow on the ground. They don't require much fuel to stay cool in the hot summers, either. And like yours, the nice ones have a sizeable laundry room, and a great kitchen with roomy dining area. After seeing how practical and nice some of them are, it's tempting to want one. Almost no utility charges, high ceilings, big soaking tub, huge kitchen, etc.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Just be careful, google De Anza Mobile Home Park in Santa Cruz. A corporation bought the MHP and raised the space rents 10 fold- to $2900-$5000. Santa Cruz had a rent control law and tried to fight the rent increases but after spending over a million dollars lost. The corporation finally agreed to allow current owners to continue paying their current space rent, but the minute the owner moves out or dies the rent goes to market, one woman said that after her mother died she couldn't afford the $5,000 a month space rent so she had to sign the mobile home over to the corporation. Here's a link, scroll down the page and look at the space rents https://www.mhvillage.com/Communitie....php?key=37612
That can happen anywhere, so be careful! I would never buy one unless I owned the land under it.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 AM

238 posts, read 302,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki6481 View Post
Hello Sandra,

Thank you for sharing the info with us. This is totally what i want with my family too. I love the weather from SSF too. do you mind to tell me more of the details in the email? how to proceed with this? will really appricated.

Best Regards,

Kiki
her post was from 2009 so she may not see this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland