U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2007, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 11,750 times

Advertisements

What is the commute from (1) Pleasanton (2) Dublin or (3) Fremont to South San Francisco?

Have a job offer at Genentech and need some info on the commute.

Deciding on the three towns due to school district for 10 yr daughter.

Thanks,

AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 PM

7,604 posts, read 10,628,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azulu1 View Post
What is the commute from (1) Pleasanton (2) Dublin or (3) Fremont to South San Francisco?

Thanks,

AZ
Check google for driving directions.... they'll give you mileage and time (under normal traffic conditions....)

Old 04-15-2007, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 14,589 times
First, Congratualation to work for one of the best company.

To commute from Fremont, if you start early around 7 it would take 45min, if you start 6:30 it takes around 35 min. Car pooling is good choice as there is $4 toll to pay everyday. BART/train is not good option as it takes almost 90 min.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 PM

3,480 posts, read 9,160,442 times
From Pleasanton or Dublin, I would guess closer to an hour or longer. The traffic on I-580 is horrible in the morning and afternoon. There are a lot of big-rig trucks going back and forth from the Port of Oakland. Plus there is a $4 bridge toll (one-way). Why not consider someplace on the mid peninsula such as San Mateo, Burlingame, Belmont, San Carlos or Redwood City? The schools in Belmont and San Carlos are suppose to be good - the other towns, I don't know too much about.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 PM

8 posts, read 31,893 times
Default SFO to FREMONT Commute ??

Same question with regard to commute. I may take a job wtih GE in Fremont, but want to live in the city where there's some activity. How long of a commute to Fremont/GE from SFO proper?

Also, in lieu of SFO proper, is there something comparable with energy and nightlife where I could rent a condo and then commute to GE?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:14 PM

25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Call Genentech and found out if they have a shuttle bus to/from BART. Most large companies do and that would save your car racking up miles and you can relax during your commute. Otherwise, I think your quickest route by car would be from Fremont, taking 880 to the San Mateo Bridge and then up the 101 to SSF-heavy but there's no way around it. Not sure how traffic is if you cross the Dumbarton Bridge and then drive up 101.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM

25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatrae View Post
Same question with regard to commute. I may take a job wtih GE in Fremont, but want to live in the city where there's some activity. How long of a commute to Fremont/GE from SFO proper?

Also, in lieu of SFO proper, is there something comparable with energy and nightlife where I could rent a condo and then commute to GE?

Thanks!
By car, about an hour in the morning as 880 is horrible between East Oakland and Fremont. Leaving the city itself should be a relative breeze in the AM but its a real hit and miss coming back over the Bay Bridge in the evenings.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 PM

6,868 posts, read 16,981,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatrae View Post

Thanks!
First off, SFO is the airport and doesn't border the rest of San Francisco but rather San Bruno and Millbrae.

Second, you've got to be out of your mind - though you wouldn't know this unless you lived here - to pay San Francisco housing prices but still have to commute to Fremont. What a waste of time, money and valuable resources. You've got to ask yourself, is San Jose really that bad that you would pay anything not to live there and have the convenience of a short drive to Fremont?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 PM

226 posts, read 746,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azulu1 View Post

Thanks,

AZ
If you are considering Dublin, why not Castro Valley or Alameda? Castro Valley schools are rated more highly than Dublin's, according to the latest API scores. It is also closer to South San Francisco on the BART line. Alameda has good schools east of Union Street and the schools on Bay Farm Island are top notch. The reason why I suggest Alameda is because of its distance to ferry terminals, and the new South San Francisco-Oakland ferry line coming in 2010. On the Water Emergency Transit Authority website, it looks like there is a map showing a connecting between Bay Farm's Harbor Bay Terminal and South San Francisco-Oyster Point Terminal, but I do not know how that is progressing. The resuming of Berkeley's ferry line is also in the works, making Albany a possible option with its highly rated school district.

Of course, if you are willing to buy in Pleasanton and commute from there, why not take BART from the Lamorinda area or Walnut Creek? The schools there are of similar or better quality than Pleasanton and you would have a shorter commute on BART.

Last edited by tennis368fan; 09-15-2008 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland