U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,550 times
Default How long is the commute from SF to Larkspur?

I'm thinking about taking a job in Larkspur, but I live in SF (in Noe Valley). Any idea how long it would take during rush hour to get from my house to Larkspur? I'm sure the bulk of the drive time would be getting through the city since I'm at the south end of SF and there really are no good, direct routes from Noe Valley to the GG Bridge. I know I'd be doing a reverse commute, but I'm still thinking this might take awhile. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 AM

17 posts, read 32,701 times
I'm guessing you'd try to take whatever quickest way there is to 19th Ave (Sunset) or Park Presidio (Richmond).

During non-rush hour I'm guessing half an hour, but rush hour is a totally different story. It all depends on how bad the traffic is, it could be well over an hour.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM

6,700 posts, read 16,225,483 times
Google is telling me to take Castro until it turns into Divisadero, then left onto Lombard/Doyle Drive. I'd tend to agree. It's a lot of stops, but 19th Ave traffic stinks.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,428,126 times
The worst part is going to be getting out of the city in the first place.
I think the best way to go from Noe Valley (and don't share this with too many folks)
is to take Clipper street in Noe, to Portola, Laguna Honda to 7th ave in the Sunset. Then bounce on to Crossover Drive from Lincoln at the end of 7th ave. (this part will be the most congested but it's pretty short)
then just head up over the bridge. easy peasy.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 PM

366 posts, read 394,083 times
During rush hour this is at least a 60 minute to 75 minute commute.

I drive to areas around larkspur for biking and its at least 30 minutes with no traffic at 8am in the morning on a Sunday morning. This means it is at least an hour commute during rush hour traffic.

Sorry to tell you.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
During rush hour this is at least a 60 minute to 75 minute commute.

I drive to areas around larkspur for biking and its at least 30 minutes with no traffic at 8am in the morning on a Sunday morning. This means it is at least an hour commute during rush hour traffic.

Sorry to tell you.

Sorry, but I must disagree with you. It's a reverse commute, your weekend traffic in and around the Larkspur area is ENTIRELY different than during the week traffic.
Pretty much smooth sailing on the 101 north during commute times from the ggbridge to Larkspur..

Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM

I live in noe valley and have probably driven to larkspur and surrounding area 10-15x this year. I sometimes drive to San Rafael for meetings on weekdays during rush hour.

On sunday and saturday morning with no traffic in the city and very little traffic on the GG bridge it is at least 30 minutes. The issue is not just GG bridge to larkspur; it's going from Noe Valley to the GG bridge and the reverse when you come home- this takes at least 30 minutes during rush hour.

Try driving across the City at 9am or back to the city at 6pm - 30 minutes total is overly optimistic.

I am trying to say 60 minutes to be conservative. It's probably 75 minutes on a really bad day, like coming home on a Friday.

If you have a sure fire 30 minute route from Noe Valley to Larkspur I would love to hear your directions. I am always open to hearing new routes to avoid traffic.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
The worst part is going to be getting out of the city in the first place.
I think the best way to go from Noe Valley (and don't share this with too many folks)
is to take Clipper street in Noe, to Portola, Laguna Honda to 7th ave in the Sunset. Then bounce on to Crossover Drive from Lincoln at the end of 7th ave. (this part will be the most congested but it's pretty short)
then just head up over the bridge. easy peasy.
have you tried this one?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 PM

yes. That is a good route but getting through San Francisco is still a pain in the ass during rush hour.

Alot of times the biggest bottleneck is after GG Park and to the GG Bridge - is there a way to skip this?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 AM

6,700 posts, read 16,225,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
yes. That is a good route but getting through San Francisco is still a pain in the ass during rush hour.

Alot of times the biggest bottleneck is after GG Park and to the GG Bridge - is there a way to skip this?
That would be the route I gave, which takes you up Doyle Drive instead of through the Presidio. That's the only other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland