Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 09:52 AM
ljb ljb started this thread

13 posts, read 57,719 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know the old "how long is the commute..." questions must get old, but I'm new here and just trying to figure some things out about a potential upcoming move to the Bay area.

I have the possibility of working in either Palo Alto or Pleasanton...neither is my first choice, cause I'd like to be in SF, but that doesn't seem to be happening. My question are then, is it feasible to live in the city and commute to either of the places in a reasonable time (how long?). OR...should I just live in my workplace town and spend free time in SF? The thing is, I'm single, no kids...so I thought this could be very...un-fun?

(My situation is that I'm looking for a travel nursing job in the area, and so far am unable to get a position in SF proper, leaving me with the outlying areas)

thanks for any helpful ideas (other locale suggestions?), info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 12:24 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
You would be better off living near where you work. Traffic is terrible in the Bay Area . I would guess almost an hour to travel between SF and Pleasanton and about 45 min to travel between SF and Palo Alto. But it could be longer depending on traffic. Question is: do you want to spend that much time every day on the road - stuck in traffic? It doesn't add much to the quality of life. Gas is running about $3.30/gal here. There is also a $4 bridge toll (one-way) if you travel between SF and Pleasanton.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
ljb ljb started this thread

13 posts, read 57,719 times
Default re: commute to Palo Alto/Pleasanton from SF

I hear what you're saying. I don't think i would want to spend that much time in my car, or on gas. Not fun. thanks for your input

Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
I forgot to mention public transportation. BART trains do run between SF and Pleasanton and Caltrain has train service between SF and Palo Alto. Either of these trains take about same amount of time as it would to travel by car - maybe a little longer since the trains stop at a station every 2 miles. Tickets cost about $9 - $10 round trip. Live where you work and visit SF. Or get a job in SF.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:55 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Sadly, I have to agree with Humboldt. I work in San Francisco, and when I first got this job, I commuted from East Palo Alto... took about 45-55 minutes, half of which was SLOW moving (10-20 MPH). Plus, I was filling my gas tank once a week @ nearly $50 a pop - I drive a Honda Accord, but use premium gas. Commuting the other direction might actually be worse, since many people work in Silicon Valley & live in SF, so you're looking at 2 hours a day. And this is precisely why I move to the city, despite the fact that I actually liked EPA (considered the "ghetto") and its cheap rent. But it wasn't tooo hard of a decision to make, since SF is such a terrific city!

Working in Pleasanton might be more do-able, since as Humboldt mentioned, you can take BART back & forth... might not save much time, but it would save a lot of stress. BART is usually a nice relaxing ride, where you could just sit back and read a book. For me, it would still be hard to give up that extra 2 hours a day, mainly because I have a dog waiting at home - who I can now visit at lunch, seeing as I live only 0.5 miles from work. But if you're willing to spend that extra time commuting, I'd say go with the Pleasanton option instead. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, but maybe you could compromise... live somewhere like San Mateo, which is halfway between the two, and kind of a cool city on its own. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland