Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 AM

8 posts, read 52,152 times

Advertisements

Seems inevitable that BART might strike. Although the jury is still out, it is something that needs to be thought about. This would not have an impact on me (I work less than 2 minutes from work) but it will impact my partner and a lot of other people I know. My partner works in Pleasanton and we live in El Cerrito. This now means that if BART does strike, she will need to take the car to work. Buses do not travel from here to there. Why can't BART and the Union realize what they are going to be doing the the everyday worker? Things are hard enough on us as it is and this is just going to make it worse. Now, my partner pays, give or take a few bucks, $47 for a weekly ticket to and from work. If she were to have to take the car, that amount would almost quadruple . Yeah, ok, so what is $188 a week to spend, not an indent on the paycheck, still totally worth it, right? WRONG! When did people that sit in a train all day, workers at the stations that sit on cell phone and ignore customers, janitors that don't do a bit of good because BART still smells and is dirty... get so picky about how much they are paid? And why do people have to be greedy in this economic time of need?

I think there should be a salary cap for everyone in the United States... And that is another subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I dont think BART employees are going to find a lot of sympathy considering their very high salaries.

Ive never seen heavy traffic in America like what we went through in 97 during their last strike. It took me 3 hours to drive from Oakland to DT SF. Insane.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tggrbounce9 View Post
I think there should be a salary cap for everyone in the United States... And that is another subject.
I strongly disagree but your right, that's another subject.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
I have zero sympathy or tolerance for the BART employees if they go on strike! They should be thankful that they even have jobs in this economy. There are people losing jobs left and right and numerous people are "underemployed", doing jobs they're too qualified for just because they'll take any work they can get. Cry me a freakin' river, BART employees....Whhhaaaa, Whhaaaa! How many people won't be able to make it to work or even job interviews if the strike happens? This is an incredibly selfish move.

People all over the Bay Area are struggling with the current economic conditions, so what makes BART employees exempt?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
Yeap, they have some nerve especially since my BART tickets have gone up.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Yeap, they have some nerve especially since my BART tickets have gone up.
Yeah -- completely -- since BART administration gave themselves the same pay raises they are now denying the rank and file.

Hmmmm.... sounds like the all the other financial scandals where the little guy got screwed and the big guys got big fat golden parachutes....

If they have to strike they have to strike.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM
E14

147 posts, read 545,433 times
the management is getting raises in a recession
no one is even talking about small pay cuts to those bart higher ups making 100k plus
the employees are demanding the same raises their bosses are getting
its pretty insane that ANYONE expects a raise in this recession
its also insane to cut the salaries of those paid the least while giving raises to those at the top

Old 07-09-2009, 03:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
It's going to suck. In both the 97 BART strike, as well as when the Bay Bridge was closed due to the 89 quake, here is what happened.

Frustrated, the people who normally drove the Bay Bridge moved to the San Mateo Bridge. Frustrated, the people who drove the San Mateo Bridge moved to the Dumbarton. Frustrated, those who drove the Dumbarton moved to 237. And so on. Total domino effect.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's going to suck. In both the 97 BART strike, as well as when the Bay Bridge was closed due to the 89 quake, here is what happened.

Frustrated, the people who normally drove the Bay Bridge moved to the San Mateo Bridge. Frustrated, the people who drove the San Mateo Bridge moved to the Dumbarton. Frustrated, those who drove the Dumbarton moved to 237. And so on. Total domino effect.
Not to mention, the Golden Gate and the poor two-lane San Rafael Bridge got hammered to oblivion.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 9,507 times
The unions are choking this state. But oh well, "we" keep electing (in most places) politicians who are in the back pocket of these unions. What does it tell you that the SEIU was making demands of the Obama administration re: withholding stimulus funds if "home healthcare" workers had their pay cut? Granted, the SEIU didn't get their way, but the very fact they were even in on the conversation is mind-boggling, yet oh-so-typical.

The BART unions are no different. In fact, one of them is the SEIU. BART needs to close a huge budget gap, and they're offering employees a package that has NO furloughs, NO base pay reductions, and NO layoffs. Employees would *gasp* have to pay $84.41/mo towards their healthcare coverage instead of the current $81.95 . A whopping 3% increase. Boo-hoo. And waaaaa, BART also wants employees to pick up some or all the tab for their CalPERS and 401a plans, which currently are FULLY FUNDED by BART. BART execs/mgt have also gone on record pledging that they will proportionally match any benefit cuts/cost increases that the unions agree to.

Listen up, BART union employees. I know some of you. I listen to you. You people need to start getting it, because right now you are completely unhinged. The average compensation pkg for a BART union employee is $114K/yr. C'mon, you and I know that a goodly percentage of BART employees are WAY overpaid for the actual work that they perform. You must open your eyes to the fact that unions have driven these unsustainable compensation packages that are crippling State, County, and local governments. Recognize that, given the current economic climate, you should be thankful, yes, THANKFUL, for the financially reckless packages you've had up to this point and that your "budget-challenged" employer is actually giving you a window where you ALL can keep your jobs. Or, go on strike, **** off the public (you know, the people who pay you), and force BART into concessions that will just help drive this state further into the ground. While I'm sure the latter will be your course of action, you might want to pause and consider how decades of these tactics worked out for the UAW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland