Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 PM

9 posts, read 147,517 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

Wow, thanks to everyone for making this forum such a great source for those of us considering moving to San Francisco.

Does anyone know of a map that would list the distance between neighborhoods in the city of San Francisco?

I've used this map: http://z.about.com/d/sanfrancisco/1/...hborhoods2.jpg , (sorry unable to hyperlink url to map) to familiarize myself with where the neighborhoods are located, but thus far - I have not been able to find how far it is from inner-Richmond to say..North Beach, etc. Other than MapQuest specific streets.

I'm trying to get a feel for how far out I can live outside of downtown (whatever that area specifically is) and still be able to walk a mile or two to get to a different neighborhood. Otherwise, bike or transit.

Much thanks to anyone willing to offer advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,366,196 times
San Francisco "City" is only 7 by 7 miles...1-2 miles from any district in the city will get you to multiple districts. However, all the hills make 1-2 miles feel a lot longer than they actually are. Nob Hill, Financial District, Embarcadero, North Beach, Telegraph Hill & Russian Hill would be some areas I'd recommend near downtown.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 PM

Thanks Jonotastic for explaining the short distance between neighborhoods and the reminder about the hills.

So if a local said "I'm going downtown", what neighborhoods constitute downtown. I ask because I've read the term "downtown" a lot.

Perhaps, you already told me with the list of neighborhoods you mentioned. If that's the case, I understand.

Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,951,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WentAway View Post
Thanks Jonotastic for explaining the short distance between neighborhoods and the reminder about the hills.

So if a local said "I'm going downtown", what neighborhoods constitute downtown. I ask because I've read the term "downtown" a lot.

Perhaps, you already told me with the list of neighborhoods you mentioned. If that's the case, I understand.

Thanks again.
It's called the "Financial District" or sometimes someone might refer it as "Union Square". It's actually not very "alive" at night like you might experience other city's downtowns.

It's more like several really big dept. stores and high end shops, and then a couple blocks away it's all business/offices and it's dead at night. The smaller, individual neighborhoods are where most restaurants,bars, and personality happen.

San Francisco is very compact and it won't take you very long to get anywhere..the exception would be the double parkers, the slow buses, and pedestrians everywhere. You could even walk the length or the width of the city in a few hours (if inclined of course!)

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Ahh...

Thanks so much clongirl!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,366,196 times
Quote:

Thanks again.
You are welcome. I consider Union Square to be the heart of downtown. The downtown area is a lot larger though.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,533,774 times
Quote:

Union Square and the Financial District. It's also ok to include (in order of decreasing acceptability) Civic Center/Tenderloin, SOMA (especially upper SOMA), Nob Hill, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, and maybe North Beach and Russian Hill. Anything west of Van Ness cannot be downtown.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,596,663 times
If you will be working in San Francisco don't measure distance figure public transportation. If you can commute to downtown parking will kill you. I choose to spend a lot more for rent so I could get to work easy. In Outer Richmond District two things I didn't need were my car and a fridge. 38 Bus runs every 20 minutes and will have you downtown in another 20.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,446,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Union Square and the Financial District. It's also ok to include (in order of decreasing acceptability) Civic Center/Tenderloin, SOMA (especially upper SOMA), Nob Hill, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, and maybe North Beach and Russian Hill. Anything west of Van Ness cannot be downtown.
I second what is listed here, this is absolutely correct. Downtown can include anything within the confines (East/North) of Van Ness, Division, Berry and King St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland